Pet Battle Accuracy Changes in Patch 5.3

90 Undead Rogue
I think the frustrating thing is missing on regular attacks you expect to hit. I like the idea of base miss/dodge being removed. But whats the point of adding miss right back into abilities on the other end. Missing will still be the same at the end isn't it, its not exactly removing it by simply saying its going to miss on ability instead of base now?

If I wanted to play lottery I'd pick up a frog and a moth and go to town on their "luck" based abilities.

So my feedback, please keep misses/dodges to the minimum, those are just frustrating (not fun).
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I made a large post on the subject because apparently I was blind and didn't see this one, so I'll simply recap here:

Miss/dodge and similar RNG is awesome in a fast action extended game like WoW. It can feel good to get a burst, or a little annoying to have a streak of low damage, but you know that anything over a minute or so will average out to your skill at rotations and reactions. This is a good thing.

Miss/dodge in a very short (usually max 25 round) turn-based strategy game is about the worst idea imaginable. I don't want to gamble that my strategic combination of pets and 3-4 round build up to a kill shot will simply miss because I happened to roll the dice poorly.

To even things out and provide a whole new level of depth to the game, add a simple ability called "defend" that any pet can use on any round. It reduces damage taken by 75-80% until their next action, lasts 1 round, and has a CD (probably 3-4 rounds).

Now you have a complicated chess game where no one can know all the moves, instead of frustrating dice-rolling competition.

(note: Damage variance (no more than 10%) and crit are perfectly fine. It is only the chances to completely miss that are the problem)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
The opposite is also true, sometimes you win when you shouldn't. And that feels great.

I disagree with that. If I am in an exciting battle with a challenging opponent, who then suddenly misses 3 times in a row and thus seals the game for myself, I am just as disappointed. I can feel their frustration, because I have felt it many times myself, and my victory, which might have been a testament to my skill and planning, is now hollow and pointless.

i understand your point, but im talking about those moments when you are barely hanging on with a couple of hit points. And your opponent misses and gives you one final shot and you win. That's fun. The point is, without rng there is no chance for a weaker pet to ever win against a stronger one. It's fun for david to beat goliath occasionally.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I like the idea of base miss/dodge being removed. But whats the point of adding miss right back into abilities on the other end. Missing will still be the same at the end isn't it, its not exactly removing it by simply saying its going to miss on ability instead of base now?

I don't think its the same if you have some abilities that can miss and some that can't. You, as a player, will have the choice about which kind of ability you want to use. If you miss, it's on you for choosing an ability like that. It's not just randomness that is built into the game.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Rogue
UE
I do not like this change. It seems that now fights will be more predictable and a comp will have no chance. What's the point of staying in a PvP match where you know you can't win? The way it is now you have at least a decent chance.

The only change we needed was for moves that often miss (ie Burrow, Lift Off) to be accurately stated in the talent.

It seems as though Blizzard has caved to the players who refuse to learn how to play (ie Kenpo).
Edited by Seventizz on 4/6/2013 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
Missing will still be the same at the end isn't it, its not exactly removing it by simply saying its going to miss on ability instead of base now?

I think Blizzard thinks people who look at the tooltip and see that it says "Chance to hit: 90%" will not expect to hit 100% of the time and whenever they do miss, come here and post "OMG BLIZZ, Y U NO FIX LUCK" threads.

I also think they are seriously overestimating the intelligence and/or maturity of players who complain about luck in pet battles if they think this will work. Luckwhining runs almost entirely on selective memory and confirmation bias, with a dash of Dunning-Kruger effect. What good is a tooltip against that? Some people, even though understanding on one level what "90% chance to hit" means, will still emotionally expect to hit -- every time -- and rage if they don't.

It's a good design, but it won't fix stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Hey I know its unrelated, but do you guys have plans to make older pets stronger? I mean noone uses critters these days, because of how low their damage potential is (outside rabbit who dodges a lot).

And my baby blizzard bear is like the worst bear in the world, because half his moves are catered toward rampage which he doesn't have as a bear... Can he get ice lance or something?
Edited by Kenpo on 4/7/2013 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
One of the best changes in 5.3, it'll take away the frustration of pet battling.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Blog:
It’s worth noting that every battle pet type (e.g. Dragonkin) have at least one ability that hits 100% of the time, allowing you to opt-out of the randomness if you prefer a less risky strategy.

Could this be clarified? Are all mechanicals getting "laser" for instance, or is an exisiting ability on every pet going to simply be made 100% hit?
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
I do not like this change. It seems that now fights will be more predictable and a comp will have no chance. What's the point of staying in a PvP match where you know you can't win?

Would you honestly feel good about winning purely because of RNG and not at all because of your strategy or skill at a pet battling?

Who am I kidding, of course you would. You just said so.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
Could this be clarified? Are all mechanicals getting "laser" for instance, or is an exisiting ability on every pet going to simply be made 100% hit?

I don't think they said every *pet* will have a 100% accurate attack, but only that every *family* will have at least one 100% accurate attack (which presumably *some* pet will have).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
04/07/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Calonderiel

I don't think they said every *pet* will have a 100% accurate attack, but only that every *family* will have at least one 100% accurate attack (which presumably *some* pet will have).
Yes, that's exactly what they said. Which may not be a good thing, depending on WHICH pet in the family gets the 100% hit move.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
It reminds me of a certain The Simpsons Episode

Blizzard Blue says: RNG for all.
[Forumers complains]
Blizzard Blue says: Very well, no RNG for anyone.
[Forumers complains]
Blizzard Blue says: Hmm... RNG for some, 100% accuracy abilities for others
[Forumers cheers]
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
And they actually bothered to thank people for constructive criticism when this is the majority of what we really had posted about it.....

Sorry if im not a ball licking like u, cause i pay for having fun not geting irritated by a flawed mechanism.

Some people, even though understanding on one level what "90% chance to hit" means, will still emotionally expect to hit -- every time -- and rage if they don't.

Have u got 4-5 miss/dodge in a row ? well, thats what makes people really angry, not a simple miss, are u being smart or else.
Edited by Mantrhax on 4/7/2013 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I love missing vvhen the enemy is dovvn to 1 HP, but you miss an ability vvith a 3 round CD and all you have left is "vveaked blovv" for 3 rounds or until you die. It's simply amazing...
Edited by Graceslick on 4/7/2013 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Chance to dodge is higher than 5%. It's depressing.
Edited by Graceslick on 4/7/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Chance to dodge is higher than 5%

It is not.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
I love missing vvhen the enemy is dovvn to 1 HP, but you miss an ability vvith a 3 round CD and all you have left is "vveaked blovv" for 3 rounds or until you die. It's simply amazing...

If I recall correctly, there is only one pet that even has weakened blow. So you really set yourself up for that. Why are you even using the Turnip (let alone with weakened blow set) if you're not aiming to capture rather than kill?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/07/2013 02:54 PMPosted by Calonderiel

Yes they said every family will have a 100% move, not specifically every pet. But why wouldn't it be every pet?

There's not much point to any of these changes if you're forced to choose certain pets if you want to "cap" hit. I mean, that's exactly how it is right now. It would be a whole lot of fiddling around for zero net change.

That's why I want clarification. It just doesn't make sense to me to do any of this if nothing is actually going to be different.
Edited by Hudax on 4/8/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wonder if the abilities on my list are not bugs rather than intentional design.

I just noticed every single one of "cooldown" ones share a trend - they're all abilities with secondary effects (chance to stun, etc).

I suppose we'll see in the next build if they remain at non-100% accuracy or not.
Edited by Simca on 4/8/2013 7:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]