Pet Battle Accuracy Changes in Patch 5.3

90 Undead Rogue
I can't wait for the patch either. This type of randomness just ruins the game. It doesn't seem like a competition when you miss 3 in a row that really matter.

Of course it would be nice if they made a lot of pets better. There are many pets still that no one will use because they are too underwhelming for pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can't wait for the patch either. This type of randomness just ruins the game. It doesn't seem like a competition when you miss 3 in a row that really matter.

Of course it would be nice if they made a lot of pets better. There are many pets still that no one will use because they are too underwhelming for pvp.

I realize how hard it is to do this, but I'd love to see it as well.

Seeing the same 20 or so pets gets old fast.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Of course it would be nice if they made a lot of pets better. There are many pets still that no one will use because they are too underwhelming for pvp

There has to be bad or there would be no good. And there are more viable pets than most admit to. It is just in pvp it is very breed centric and lowers the optimum choices which can not be helped and is always the case in any pvp meta in any game ever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/17/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Hearus
There has to be bad or there would be no good.

I think there could (hypothetically) be no bad or good, only "bad or good for the situation".

Hypothetically, of course.

And there are more viable pets than most admit to. It is just in pvp it is very breed centric and lowers the optimum choices which can not be helped and is always the case in any pvp meta in any game ever.

I sadly agree.

If Bliz could reach 50 TRULY PvP-viable pets, they'll have already beaten Pokemon.
Edited by Destian on 4/18/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
After looking at the changes to accuracy on the PTR, I'm left with one question...

Why have moves with 85-95% accuracy?

I can fully and completely understand having moves with 50% accuracy that are extremely powerful: you choose to roll the dice and that's fine.

But if a move is 85-95%, it just means it'll be all the more annoying and out of place when it DOES miss.

The removal of base miss/dodge is fantastic and needed to happen, but I think you're unfortunately going to see players shift toward pets with 100% movesets because they're just more reliable.

In heated battles where every attack counts, a pet with a 95% moveset will be considered unusable.

And I checked, there ARE a number of pets that cannot select all 100% attacks.

I get what Bliz is trying to do, but I predict that in a few weeks after 5.3 hits, it's going to become the expectation that any "serious" pet battler will only use 100% teams.
Edited by Destian on 4/18/2013 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
but I think you're unfortunately going to see players shift toward pets with 100% movesets because they're just more reliable.

I think you are completely correct. I will be sure to thank all these people and their inability to perform risk/reward calculations when I pick up my stunted direhorn.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
If Pokemon can be used as any sort of metric, most competitive players will choose the more accurate attack over the harder hitting ones that have slightly less accuracy.

But most of the "inaccurate" attacks in 5.3 are in the order of 85-90% (unlike Pokemon's 60-70% accuracy hard-hitters), which I believe is well w/in the margin of acceptability for dealing 30% more damage.

We shall see.

/shrug
Edited by Machival on 4/18/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If Pokemon can be used as any sort of metric, most competitive players will choose the more accurate attack over the harder hitting ones that have slightly less accuracy.

But most of the "inaccurate" attacks in 5.3 are in the order of 85-90%, which I believe is well w/in the margin of acceptability for dealing 30% more damage.

We shall see.

/shrug

I think Pokemon is a good metric.

We might see the occasional 50% move used as a last ditch-effort when all other hope is lost, but I highly suspect it's going to be 100% pets across the board, otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
but I highly suspect it's going to be 100% pets across the board

People who voluntarily limit their options because they are traumatized by the occasional miss will make excellent opponents for those who are interested in maximizing wins per hour. Me, I'll happily accept a catastrophic loss due to bad luck if it nets me 2 or 3 narrow victories.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Fink
but I highly suspect it's going to be 100% pets across the board

People who voluntarily limit their options because they are traumatized by the occasional miss will make excellent opponents for those who are interested in maximizing wins per hour. Me, I'll happily accept a catastrophic loss due to bad luck if it nets me 2 or 3 narrow victories.

Eh, I guess if you're talking about random battles, sure.

But I'm always thinking about the future and things like pet battle tournaments where I suspect no one will touch <100%ers.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i remember playing turn based military madness on the turbographix 16 ( and now a new version on the PSN) so thats still way before pogheymon
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]