Protection Warrior: Shield Slam = Over Power

50 Human Hunter
This Shield slam crap is ridiculous. A tank, BOA gear or not, should not be able to one-shot anyone at any level regardless. It's out of control, and needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Lower level BG's aren't even fun with this new and "unexpected" element. It's frustrating that Blizzard has not nerfed this back down yet.

Tank class DPS overall is way too high, but this one warrior specific talent is out of control.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
A tank, BOA gear or not, should not be able to one-shot anyone at any level regardless

Hunters, BOA gear or not, should not be able to heal at any level regardless.

OH YA
Reply Quote
50 Human Hunter
Heal?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
What I don't understand is that SS got buffed by 25% only. If it 2 shots you now, it 3 shot you before.

Right now from personal experience, the average health pool of players from 35-39 is 3k to 4k. Shield slam is currently hitting for 1200-1700 non-crit. If it crits, you're as good as dead. Warbringer makes it even more nasty along with the sluggishness glyph (or whatever the snare glyph is on HS).

After healing and dps'ing these last few brackets, its pretty much warriors charges -> SS -> 20-30% left after you factor in the white swing, and HS. Its unavoidable if you're in a BG or even open world from a few experiences .

Shield slam doesn't need a level 90 nerf, just nerf it pre-90. Lower the damage until 80-90 by upwards of 50% and then just leave it alone at max level.

Nothing else hits as hard as shield slam at low levels. Your big offenders after that may hit 1k with crit, such as ambush or starsurge. After those, the numbers drop into the 500-600 range crits pretty fast with lava burst / ice lance and the like, and that damage is perfectly fine. Losing more than 50% is not.

04/06/2013 03:27 AMPosted by Chebybaddy
A tank, BOA gear or not, should not be able to one-shot anyone at any level regardless

Hunters, BOA gear or not, should not be able to heal at any level regardless.

OH YA

I haven't had problems with hunters at all really. Pets are more annoying at lower levels but that's to be expected. Aimed shot is only hitting in the 800-1k range on crit from personal exp from hunters that had numerous visible heirloom. They're in a pretty manageable position in terms of damage right now.
Edited by Kryia on 4/6/2013 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Human Hunter
[quote]I haven't had problems with hunters at all really. Pets are more annoying at lower levels but that's to be expected. Aimed shot is only hitting in the 800-1k range on crit from personal exp from hunters that had numerous visible heirloom. They're in a pretty manageable position in terms of damage right now.

He said hunters heal lol

Healing a pet (which doesn't do much if anyone is attacking it) doesn't count like healing other players does.

The guy is a troll.
Reply Quote
63 Human Warrior
Sorry I had to train you into the ground Kyria. I hate blowing up cute little female pandas.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Outplayed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Yeah that hurt Damij, quite a bit. What's the average hit/crit for you atm?

Can we please fix this:
http://imgur.com/L2qxb91
Melee hit you 69 Physical
Shield Slam hit you 1360 Physical
Heroic Strike hit you 356 Physical. (Critical)
Revenge hit you 1509 Physical. (275 Overkill) (Critical)

That was one of four prot warriors ally had that were just sitting by the GY charging up and killing people the moment they res. It all happens in a charge stun, it happens frequently, and it's beyond ridiculous.
Edited by Kryia on 4/6/2013 4:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Last xpac it was rogues. Before that it was MM hunters. In this xpac it's warriors. I'm hoping in the next one it'll be druids with the OP one-shot ability.
Edited by Hibernator on 4/6/2013 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
22 Troll Druid
04/06/2013 12:13 AMPosted by Swatkat

Stop giving Blizzard an excuse for failing. People pay 15 bucks a month to play this game. The WHOLE game not just level 90 content.

And on that subject...hows that pvp balance in 2vs2 or 5vs5 oh yeah I forgot. Blizzard only wants to balance around 3vs3. Thats cool I understand why put effort into balancing the game when you can tell people that you would rather spend all your manpower on one aspect to make it perfect.

Because you know...3vs3 is flawless and every spec is viable.

My point is that at 90, shield slam isn't overpowered. At all.

Just because it's not overpowered at all at 90 doesn't give it a free pass at low levels.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Something broken is still broken, doesn't matter what lv or class, broken is broken..fix it if you please Blizzard.

Just because it's not overpowered at all at 90 doesn't give it a free pass at low levels.
This 1000x times.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
god its infuriating....

edit:But we all know they wont fix this till maybe next patch..
Edited by Macloven on 4/6/2013 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
From levels 10-69 Shield Slam is completely broken. It's easily capable of dealing +50% of the average player's health in your BG.

Blizzard should of tested this out in lower levels when they decided to increase it's damage by 150%

It would be like increasing Holy Wraths damage by 150%. An AoE 1shot move. 150% is just too much of a damage increase to any spell.

Blizzard does not balance for low-level content. There are actually several reasons for this:

1. The whole model of games like World of Warcraft is that you're constantly evolving and changing, which is how they justify charging per month for the content. Therefore, it's not intended that you stay at lower levels exploring old contents.

2. With things like RaF triple exp, heirloom gear, and instant scroll of resurrection level 80, not many people are staying at lower levels long enough for any changes to make a difference. For example, let's say they do fix Shield Slam and reduce the damage it does. By the time they roll it out, if you're level steadily, then you've probably passed the point where it would affect you. That's even considering you'll actually make it to 90 as there are a subset of people who quit WoW long before they reach 90. Good business sense requires you to put longer-term customers ahead of the shorter-termed ones.

3. Class balance with this many classes is actually a hard job. They would have to hire someone to focus test and program for lower levels, which would translate to a higher cost for Blizzard which would raise subscription costs. Alternately, they could take a guy from another team and dedicate him to lower levels, but then that would put a strain on the team that he was taken from. If you are in the industry, of course, you would know that there is never just one programmer. They work in teams. Therefore, the lower level guy wouldn't be just one guy but an entire team dedicated to fine-tuning an aspect of the game a significant amount of people out-level before they even realize how unbalanced it really is.

4. Most of the people who do stay at the level and would be affected by changes are twinks who probably don't want the game to be balanced. They gear themselves specifically to have an advantage over their quest-geared counterparts. Therefore, if they were to fix lower level damage and make it fair, it still wouldn't feel that way because the twinks would still faceroll lowbies.

5. Because most people aren't geared equally, and there is no standard gear setup for lower levels, it's impossible to balance lower level damage and even more impossible for people to give a programmer-relevant experience since you can't read your opponent's gear. Not to mention your gear might be crap as well.

6. Because it won't let me quote it, you'll have to scroll up to see it, but a level 20 troll druid named Boombosstic actually gave a great reason why they shouldn't actively try to balance lower level PvP (if you read it out of context): higher level PvP and PvE are hard enough to balance and aren't even really there yet. Even the devs have said as much. Therefore, any effort put into lower levels is effort not put into endgame content, which needs it so much more.

There's probably even more good reasons why Blizzard doen't much care about lower levels, but I'm sick of typing so you'll have to live with these.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
In my opinion, the base damage of shield slam should be decreased. As compensation, mastery for prot warriors should increase the damage of shield slam. That way for lower levels, shield slam would hit at a more reasonable value while keeping damage output the same for higher levels. Fixes the low level balance problem and avoids touching high levels where its not an issue.
Edited by Doomsaki on 4/7/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just got out of a bg. My baby monk has just over 2k HP at 27. Shield slam hit me for 2k. I had about 10 HP left but hey! I am still stunned and can't heal and he white hit me for the rest. Blizz surely knows how to suck at balance any bracket, let alone low levels. I don't know why it is so hard to understand scaling at Blizz HQ.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It'll get nerfed very soon and all the fotms will reroll.
Reply Quote
22 Troll Druid
04/06/2013 06:01 PMPosted by Lacrìmosa

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be how Blizzard views these types of things.

Blizzard is wrong about these type of things then and need to be told that they are wrong about it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]