Venoma's Prot Pally PVP Guide [5.3]

90 Human Paladin
Oh no I'm not in prot yet, I'm getting the honor for a shield and 1 hand weap... Don't get me wrong I actually used to use prot before vigilance was removed in PvP... I also have an alt low lvl paladin that I play prot in BGs... And yes at low levels harsh words hits hard... I just didn't know if prot was good enough at 90... The reason I'd take burden for PvP prot is that you don't have seal of justice and prot also can't take slows/roots off itself...but Mabey daze shield glyph is enough...sounds fun to try so I will :) pretty good guide.

Ahh I see. Definitely experiment to find what combination of talents & glyphs suits you best. Good luck & have fun ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry this is delayed, but could you post some more macro tips for pvp, pve AoE?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Ok we'll I tried prot In Some random BGs today, it's fun, it took tons of ppl to bring me down but I couldn't kill anything lol... Not sure how you can burst as prot.... Using the wog and harsh words glyph with dazing shield but stuff doesn't die.... It's fun but I don't see how I can be a real threat... I can lock heals and casters down but nothing dies. Pretty much what I thought would happen.
Edited by Midknightsun on 4/9/2013 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ok we'll I tried prot In Some random BGs today, it's fun, it took tons of ppl to bring me down but I couldn't kill anything lol... Not sure how you can burst as prot.... Using the wog and harsh words glyph with dazing shield but stuff doesn't die.... It's fun but I don't see how I can be a real threat... I can lock heals and casters down but nothing dies. Pretty much what I thought would happen.

Which classes specifically can you not take down? Obviously you will not be soloing healers but basically anything else is fair game. Casters are especially pretty munch-worthy.

Are you using that burst macro w/ Execution Sentence? I also noticed you don't have the minor [Glyph of Focused Wrath], every little bit helps. I notice you're way over your Hit cap and under your Expertise cap - try to fix those up.

Other than that I'm guessing that the only thing left is you getting used to the spec. I encourage you to tank a few dungeons/heroics just so you get used to the Prot tool set in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Sorry this is delayed, but could you post some more macro tips for pvp, pve AoE?

Basically all the macros involve spells that you don't have access to yet.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well anything that wears a dress gives me problems lol.... Mages, once you get through all the slows and roots arent too bad... but its mainly Warlocks and Spriests that I am having difficulty taking down or at least locking down, as Prot.... DKs arent too bad and warriors are fun to fight, Rogues arent nearly as bad either.... basically anything with a majic based fear like Spriests and Warlocks are difficult, and there are a ton of them in BGs these days.... last BG i was in had like 3 spriests and 2 warlocks... it was hell lol.... I find im very very susceptible to fears and slows as prot...Clemency helps a ton but without emancipate it can be frustrating... but the other paladin specs suffer from this too soo.. idk... perhaps its because I have more PvP resil gemmed since im using my Ret gear as Prot.... mabey more strength and PvP power gems would make me hit harder? not sure... It IS fun though :) I just dont see doing anything "serious" with it...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Like!

I love prot too much to even try ret in pvp. Shield procs are way too fun at range, but I haven't tried out the WoG glyph just yet. Also thanks for the note about PvP swords! I always pick them because they look better and feel more paladin-y, but it's nice to know before I buy the tyrannical one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well anything that wears a dress gives me problems lol.... Mages, once you get through all the slows and roots arent too bad... but its mainly Warlocks and Spriests that I am having difficulty taking down or at least locking down, as Prot.... DKs arent too bad and warriors are fun to fight, Rogues arent nearly as bad either.... basically anything with a majic based fear like Spriests and Warlocks are difficult, and there are a ton of them in BGs these days.... last BG i was in had like 3 spriests and 2 warlocks... it was hell lol.... I find im very very susceptible to fears and slows as prot...Clemency helps a ton but without emancipate it can be frustrating... but the other paladin specs suffer from this too soo.. idk... perhaps its because I have more PvP resil gemmed since im using my Ret gear as Prot.... mabey more strength and PvP power gems would make me hit harder? not sure... It IS fun though :) I just dont see doing anything "serious" with it...

I'm glad you're having fun. Realistically, if you're facing off against 3 Spriests and 2 Locks you're gonna have a hard time no matter what class, let alone spec, you are. If you're just facing off against one of them this is what I do:

First Fear I trinket -> Avenger's Shield silence -> pop Burst -> (silence wearing off) Stun -> if you get Avenger's Shield reset go that after stun wears off, otherwise keep laying into them (don't forget that you can use Blinding Light as an interrupt if you're close to getting a kill)

Watch for their burst/trinkets and pop your Guardian accordingly (make sure not to bubble if you have defensive CDs active, ie. do not overlap them).

As for doing anything serious with the spec:
While I definitely agree that it is lacking in certain areas, I believe it has strengths that Ret does not and is a decent alternative for those looking for something different in a casual PvP setting.

Operative word being casual ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Like!

I love prot too much to even try ret in pvp. Shield procs are way too fun at range, but I haven't tried out the WoG glyph just yet. Also thanks for the note about PvP swords! I always pick them because they look better and feel more paladin-y, but it's nice to know before I buy the tyrannical one.

Hello fellow Prot lover!

I'm glad you enjoyed the guide - I also think Swords are cooler and have a better potential for Xmog but at least as Blood Elf you can just grab an Axe if that's more to your liking.

Feel free to share any tips for Prot with us in the thread. See you on the battlefield ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Feel free to share any tips for Prot with us in the thread. See you on the battlefield ;)

Only suggestion I can think of at the moment would be to add a section for map/general strategies, sort of an extension of the misconceptions/why prot.

ex) For domination-style maps, you can easily hold a flag by yourself and aoe versus 4+ enemies, freeing your allies to put pressure on other areas.

And other tips and tricks that most coming from ret might overlook that can help aside from the reactionary nature of pvp. Prot pvp has a more group-oriented role than the standard faceroll of dps styles (especially in random bgs). I can think up and post some more if that sort of thing sounds helpful =)

Also, it's nice we can xmog axes/maces to swords, at least!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Quick question, whats the dmg difference between Shield of the Righteous and Harsh Words?

By rough recount estimates (without trinkets or any gear w/ procs - on dummy) Hars Words deals roughly 40-50% more damage than Shield of the Righteous; not to mention it's usable @ 40 yards.

However, that doesn't mean that one shouldn't weave in a SotR here & there (especially w/ Divine Purpose procs) when a melee is on you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well I find that in say, a random bg, the value I bring to a group as prot isn't really damage as much as distraction...if ppl ignore me, which they do to tanks in BGs, I just get on the healers and casters and make their lives miserable... Or I can hold a node/flag really well. I still don't see this prot damage burst you speak of... But my gemming might be off....I notice you use lost of strength hybrid gems....

I also get some funny reactions, I was sticking on some warlock, he thought I was trying to kill him so he spent all of his time making laugh emotes and trying to get rid of me, he didn't do any damage or stick to BG objectives... So far I just feel like a distraction to people...
Edited by Midknightsun on 4/11/2013 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/11/2013 09:40 AMPosted by Covahredro
Hars Words deals roughly 40-50% more damage than Shield of the Righteous; not to mention it's usable @ 40 yards.

Damn I didn't think would be that much, I might go try prot out again. But then again I can't stand UBG's or RBG's and I highly doubt it'll be viable in arenas (especially considering I run with randoms) so maybe not.

I made a mistake - it's actually more like a 90-100% increase (ie. nearly double the damage).
Edited by Venoma on 4/11/2013 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Seems I'm getting better with prot, had a great few BGs....actually got 8 Kbs a d I feel like I'm getting used to it... Thanks for inspiring me to try it again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
PvP Power bonus to healing is now based on class and specialization.
All other specializations and classes (including tanking) receive a 40% bonus to healing from PvP Power.

So do tanks currently get 0% bonus healing from PvP Power? This could be an interesting change.
Edited by Jackßauer on 4/12/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Kind of a joke tbh
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
PvP Power bonus to healing is now based on class and specialization.
All other specializations and classes (including tanking) receive a 40% bonus to healing from PvP Power.

So do tanks currently get 0% bonus healing from PvP Power? This could be an interesting change.

Yes - tanks currently receive 0% bonus healing. The 5.3 change could have significant impact (although remember that they are also increasing Battle Fatigue in 5.3, so the actual increase in healing for Prot might be closer to 20%).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Seems I'm getting better with prot, had a great few BGs....actually got 8 Kbs a d I feel like I'm getting used to it... Thanks for inspiring me to try it again.

I'm glad you're having fun - it really isn't a "pick up & master in 30min" spec; so the more you practice the better results you'll see.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]