Venoma's Prot Pally PVP Guide [5.3]

90 Human Paladin
FUN
Tried it - 9KBs and over 6million and damage. Pretty awesome.

I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

For someone who is so against prot, Nymh, you seem to be enjoying playing blood. Got two max level blood dks and a third you are working on atm.

I'm not sure he is against Prot - I think he was just making sure it wasn't an FC guide, which it isn't. I personally love all the tank specs and think they're an absolute blast to play (in all aspects of the game).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
For someone who is so against prot, Nymh, you seem to be enjoying playing blood. Got two max level blood dks and a third you are working on atm.

My DKs have a blood spec because I hate the simplicity and mindless spamming of frost, my main spec on both of those is unholy. I haven't played the alliance one for a long time either. I have tanked lower rating rbgs, as our alt team didn't need a TC and was missing a tank (before the tank nerf), but apart from that I have always UH target called.
I logged out as blood as I was asked to tank another AV Blitz run, I haven't played my horde dk much at all this season as I needed a break.
Edited by Nyhm on 6/10/2013 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd personally recommend Persuit of Justice of Long arm - the sustained speed is better than the small burst in my opinion of course - and selfless healer is next to useless with its 22K+ flash heals, I'll probably try Eternal Flame.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN
I'd personally recommend Persuit of Justice of Long arm - the sustained speed is better than the small burst in my opinion of course - and selfless healer is next to useless with its 22K+ flash heals, I'll probably try Eternal Flame.

Yeah Selfless Healer is a bad choice for Prot whichever way you look at it.

Pursuit of Justice versus Long Arm of the Law could be a bit more personal preference. With my gear, Judgement is on a 5.2sec CD - that means that I'm moving with the extra 45% speed almost 35 seconds of every minute. The other reason I take it is that it stacks with my Engineering Nitro Boosts giving an amazing burst of speed when I need it (only works in normal BGs, WPVP & duels though).

It's also great for catching up to Mages/Hunters when they Blink/Disengage - whereas if you're caught in the same situation with Pursuit of Justice and 0 Holy Power, it takes a lot longer to build up that speed compared to one GCD Judgement.

But hey, if it works for you go for it ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have over 16% haste in WPVP (around mid 15% in BGs) so my judgement cd is pretty low too and I'm using the haste enchant on the feet instead of the mastery (Pandaran Step) so I lose out on the base speed increase. I get that back and then some with Pursuit, and holy power is easily generated for a sustain 30% increase in speed (vs 45+ your boost) so absolute speed is slower, but you are accessing it more often.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
So how is prot doing after the big shake up to Resilience and such? I dont have too many pieces of Tyrannical since I dont play nearly as often as I used to. It is passable to use Ret PvE gear for Prot PvP? I loved going prot for fun last patch, does it still work pretty good?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN
So how is prot doing after the big shake up to Resilience and such? I dont have too many pieces of Tyrannical since I dont play nearly as often as I used to. It is passable to use Ret PvE gear for Prot PvP? I loved going prot for fun last patch, does it still work pretty good?

I actually think it's better since 5.3 - the increased ilvl of Tyrannical gear means more Strength & Haste, and the fact that Resil gems are useless means we can actually gem for those stats now too.

As far as Ret PVE gear goes, I'm not sure how good it would be - especially considering the set bonuses are for things like Exorcism and Templar's Verdict, which Prot doesn't have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
How do you feel about Alabasters sheild Glyph?

And if I could spam hammers as a Tank with Sanctified Wrath - I would %^&* more people up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN
How do you feel about Alabasters sheild Glyph?

And if I could spam hammers as a Tank with Sanctified Wrath - I would %^&* more people up.

I personally don't think it's a good glyph: It only gets procs from melee opponents so it's completely wasted against casters; I've tracked it's stacks and even with a melee beating on you constantly it's extremely rare to see it go above 2 stacks as you're dumping SotRs too often.

I personally prefer the [Glyph of Word of Glory] - the damage increase affects all your spells and because you'll be healing yourself & offhealing others it has an extremely high uptime. It can also be used in a burst macro to get a really powerful Execution Sentence off.

If the Alabaster shield glyph only had 1 stack of 60% dmg increase then things would be different - but as it stands I think there are better options. Hell, [Glyph of Final Wrath] combined with the Minor [Glyph of Focused Wrath] is a better option in my opinion - it turns Holy Wrath into an incredible finisher.

As for not being able to spam Hammers with the SV talent - yeah, it's a shame.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Venomas . Thank you for the prot guide . It was helpful. And i love the burst macro with hammer
Look me up let me know what else u think i should get. I know the rest of my melev snd tyran. But see if im doing alright. And me and my disc priest buddy are 1300+arena just started. So the burst dps is there. I can kill mages and spriests pretty well one burst. And the sheild prov omg gg casters all i do is get my buddy to throw out his shadow feind and who ever im attacking is dead . Great survivability . Rbgs ares pretty awsome smashing 3people that decideto come to your flag. Quiet amazing how long u can stay alive let alone soloing 2+people gg prot is way to go. All the way from vanilla
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN
Venomas . Thank you for the prot guide . It was helpful. And i love the burst macro with hammer
Look me up let me know what else u think i should get. I know the rest of my melev snd tyran. But see if im doing alright. And me and my disc priest buddy are 1300+arena just started. So the burst dps is there. I can kill mages and spriests pretty well one burst. And the sheild prov omg gg casters all i do is get my buddy to throw out his shadow feind and who ever im attacking is dead . Great survivability . Rbgs ares pretty awsome smashing 3people that decideto come to your flag. Quiet amazing how long u can stay alive let alone soloing 2+people gg prot is way to go. All the way from vanilla

I'm glad you found the guide helpful ;)

I had a look at your profile - besides getting better gear you can also look into:
1. Fixing up your gems (have a look in the guide)
2. Enchants - you're missing most of your enchants (chest, bracers, legs, gloves, boots & cloak)
3. Belt Buckle for an extra gem slot
4. Weapon & Shield enchant - Dancing Steel & Titanium Plating; If you can't afford the former get Titanium Plating for the Shield and a cheapo one like Colossus for the weapon
5. I would prefer another dmg trinket as you're Human and doing 2s with a healer - maybe the Malev on-use STR one?

Well done on doing 2s with a healer - I prefer doing it with a dps for extra dmg, but I guess Disc can actually throw out some dps to help you land a kill.

Keep on Protin' ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What would you say i do if i csnt sffod snythig lol im broke. I was working with the 15k i had left from cata. Lol or else i would be enchanted snd gemmedyeah working on the gear and yes replscing the trinket is a priority . But again just farming the honor to grt the basic set peice by peice .ive tried ghe burst macro with all variations of the talents snd i find the hammer is the bebest . Oh also have u ever though about the middle last tier talent combined eith concecrate throeing glyph. Makes one powerfull placeable pally aoe. Combined eith a suicide holy wrath thsts alot of dmg snd i combined that with blinding light aoe stun works pretty good in bgs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the top rated 2v2 team a Disc priest and a Prot pally?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the top rated 2v2 team a Disc priest and a Prot pally?

You are not wrong. Currently out of the top four 2v2 teams in the world, 3 of them have a Prot pally. All 4 of the top 4 teams have a priest, with Disc being the most common.

My gear sucks because I only recently started getting back into wow, but I've been PvPing as a Prot pally since as long as I can remember....certainly since Vanilla. It doesn't melt faces but the survivability is God-like.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
FUN

Hehe I wasn't aware but it doesn't surprise me. Nevertheless, I can guarantee you that the Prot gets /emote spammed & flamed. Despite the proof of how good the spec can perform in pvp, the sheeple will ridicule any spec/playstyle that isn't cookie-cutter & 'blizzard approved'.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sanctified Wrath

Protection: Now causes Judgment to generate 2 Holy Power instead of 1 while Avenging Wrath is active.

Fun!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue

You aren't wrong but that's because the highest rated 2s teams are level 70 twinks.

I don't think prot/disc would ever really work at 90, although with the new arena debuff it probably will be decent if you can deal with long games.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They don't. Prot works at 70 for the same reason people endlessly cry about sub-60 prot warriors; they can RNG one-shot most people.
Edited by Cayse on 7/8/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I kill plenty of things as prot u just gotta stack alil str. and haste (like gearing for ret) and burst useing your crusader strike 1st for the pvp power bonus and then harsh words use judg harsh words avengers shield and repeat
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Would I be correct in assuming that dodge & parry fall lower in priority than the stats listed above? (Hit & Expertise to 3%>Strength>Haste>PvP Power>Crit>Mastery)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]