Durumu maze "nerf"

90 Goblin Hunter
We all know about the complaints about the hard to see (for some people) maze on Durumu. Blizz has recently hinted they will be changing it, or at least highly considering it, to make it more visible. If this were to go through, should the change be done only for LFR? Normal as well? Or all 3 difficulties including heroic? Or none?

And if this were done for normal/heroic, an easier to see maze, how much would it nerf the fight? If at all?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
They already changed it from week 1 to be more visible, if they keep nerfing it, they might as well just remove the phase all together.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Personally, I'd say LFR only, but I don't want certain forum-goers to swoop in and label me Elitist. ;)
Edited by Naumu on 4/6/2013 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
I would say LFR only since plenty have killed it on normal (and is doable by easily visible ranged path) and heroic is supposed to be hard and the problem on heroic is the dps not the maze visibility per se.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
when you have to lower your graphic settings to see something more clearly, that is bad graphic design.

the charge graphic on the ground for council: very clear

the graphic effect for the attacks on will of the emperor: very clear

heres something you can try on a LFR run since odds are it will take a wipe or two. do the first pull on high settings, then on the next turn your graphics to low. guess which version of the maze is more clear?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
It wouldn't nerf the fight much for guilds in heroics, but it would nerf it drastically for normal mode guilds. I don't have an opinion since normal/lfr aren't my focus.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
They already changed it from week 1 to be more visible, if they keep nerfing it, they might as well just remove the phase all together.

Yes, fighting the physical limitations of your own eyesight should be a boss mechanic.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
good use of following a "safe path" in a raid: frostmourne on H LK

bad: durumu

well, when I say bad, I mean it isnt really intuitive. and it's often jumbled/blurry on high settings. expecting LFR pugs to do this is a bit much. keep in mind that people couldnt walk in a straight line with pheromones and hand them off on garalon.

there should be a more clear visual cue as to what the safe "starting points" are for the melee and ranged sections. then let people navigate as usual.
Edited by Sanctifìed on 4/6/2013 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Yes, fighting the physical limitations of your own eyesight should be a boss mechanic.

There are blind people in this world

Why is this not balanced for people with no eyesight?

Where do you draw the line? I personally draw the line around the 95% margin, in which, if you nerf it so more than 95% of a population can do something, you start having to balance around handicaps, which, is not good design.
Edited by Azane on 4/6/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

By this logic everything you do on this game is 'fighting a physical limitation'. Is this the one you have trouble with?

Because I suck at it and I'm not wanting nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Since when is making mechanics visible nerfing a boss fight? The difficulty shouldn't lie in the visbility of an already crappy-looking mechanic, plain and simple.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The difficulty shouldn't lie in the visbility of an already crappy-looking mechanic, plain and simple.

I agree, but making something easier is indeed nerfing it.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
when the maze phase starts, have a more clear indicator for the starting melee/range spots.

leave maze as is. turn down the particle effects.

there, it isnt nearly as annoying and people still have to navigate the maze and not die to the beam.

but seriously, the particle effects are at like, an 11. turn them down to a 5 or so.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
have a more clear indicator for the starting melee/range spots.

No, then it'd be FACEROLL if it literally showed you where those open spaces will be, it's already easy as-is. And I already responded to you last night in the Durumu the new Garalon of LFR thread.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/06/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Horrorface
The difficulty shouldn't lie in the visbility of an already crappy-looking mechanic, plain and simple.

I agree, but making something easier is indeed nerfing it.

It's a needed change. It's unreasonable for a mechanic to have such a crappy visual. Making the maze mechanic more solid and visible would only be a "nerf" in the sense that players would actually know for a fact if they would take damage by standing in a certain spot or not instead of trying to guess where a safe spot will be or is going to be
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
04/06/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Azane

There are blind people in this world

Why is this not balanced for people with no eyesight?

Where do you draw the line? I personally draw the line around the 95% margin, in which, if you nerf it so more than 95% of a population can do something, you start having to balance around handicaps, which, is not good design.

I draw the line at sensible comparisons, not hyperbolic far extremes that completely delegitimize your argument.

04/06/2013 02:44 PMPosted by Horrorface

By this logic everything you do on this game is 'fighting a physical limitation'. Is this the one you have trouble with?

Because I suck at it and I'm not wanting nerfs.

If we're going down that road, how about we have one boss that only broadcasts his ability by preceding it with a sound played at 17.4 kHz so that only players under the age of 20 can tell it's happening?

Your absolutely awful logic aside, there are more legitimate ways to make the encounter difficult for everyone in the raid, and not simply by extension of making it hard for a specific demographic of player, such as ones with eyesight issues.

If you're that desperate for some sort of forced difficulty, they could for example make it much easier to see, but instead have the boundaries slowly but actively shifting in and out even after they become visible. Is that challenging enough for you?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I draw the line at sensible comparisons, not hyperbolic far extremes that completely delegitimize your argument.

If we're going down that road, how about we have one boss that only broadcasts his ability by preceding it with a sound played at 17.4 kHz so that only players under the age of 20 can tell it's happening?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
04/06/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Horrorface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

So do I

95% of wow players, if not more can see the Maze

~40% of them are all of a sudden some magical colorblind type that doesnt exist.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Normal is fine.

The first day on Durumu, we all complained how hard it was to see, how stuff would spawn under us, how we had to change our graphics around, etc.

The second day, we all watched a video on how to do the maze, realized we were doing it wrong, and killed it while having zero wipes to the maze. Couple deaths, but zero wipes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]