25 Man Progression and state of Hunters

100 Dwarf Hunter
Ask that same question with any dps class. you can just bring hunters and not the other class. we can provide damn near any buff and debuff just by switching pets. our dps is not bad. and we can dps on the move without losing anything. so why not bring a hunter?

If your raid really needs you to bring any significant buffs, they failed at comp building. It's incredibly easy to provide all buffs and debuffs to a raid following the 5.0 buff/debuff consolidation and still keep a balanced comp.

You often see Hunters running with Tallstriders for their dust cloud because they have nothing else, and even that's not needed.

All Hunters bring is DPS. We don't bring fancy raid walls or heals or anything. We bring damage. But the damage we bring is mediocre at best and bad at worst. If you need ranged DPS, you bring in Warlocks to do metric tons of it or Boomkins or Ele Shamana or Shadow Priests who can provide comparable raw numbers while also having raid cooldowns to provide during crticial moments. We're being used as gear sphons to use the Agi Mail given Enhancement Shaman aren't in the best place, and to use the bows.

At least in Cata you could say you were worth bringing since you could go Survival for the 10% AS buff that was rare at the time.
Edited by Bullettime on 4/8/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I love how your all in top 100 world guilds and your guilds stack classes....oh wait
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
I love how your all in top 100 world guilds and your guilds stack classes....oh wait

You don't have to be. You just have to raid with people who are competent in their classes and you'll start seeing a growing divide. You don't have to be in a world top guild to feel less useful.

The benefit of the raid is what comes first. And it's hard to enjoy sometimes knowing that your class is largely a liability or that you could provide much more to progression by playing something else instead or if the guild brought in someone else.

Most of the arguments every time this is brought up "but in my guild I always top the meters!" or "I do fine in LFR!" Congratulations you raid with and outskill incompetent morons. You should get a !@#$ing medal.
Edited by Bullettime on 4/8/2013 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

World 93 25 man in T14, sup bro.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I can say and add, i feel being a 10m Heroic raider and being confident i know i am 1 of the better hunters in the world that i certainly feel more and more i cannot justify bringing myself to my raid team on alot of fights this tier... hunter damage is ok but its nothing to write home about or want to stack the class for like you would a mage and lock.

My raid team has never had any dps problems on any boss and yet to see any hard enrages in a long time on H modes but when it comes to our H modes its more about having more utility and surviving longer in the heroics to which my hunter brings absolute zero to the fight with no raid CD i cant help my team in anyway...sooo many times a wipe can be saved by all our hybrids start throwing offheals or sprint bubbles or just flat our reducing the raids damage taken and having this ability in 10m makes you very worth your spot.

Im a big advocate for "bring the player, not the class" but i feel this is very over looked in the 10m bracket for hunters when within my guild we all play at a very high skill level and are all worth our spot as players but when 1 player is worth 10% of your raid and we can all do the same damage, why would you bring the hunter when other classes can bring more damage and alot more utility and raid cooldowns to help the raid?

Duno just my opinion i guess but i feel every class now should have some type of raid cd because when the playing field of skill is even, it really is what class you play that is the deciding factor atleast when it comes to Heroic raiding...( mages are in similar boat to hunters but lets be honest the gods of damage are not in as bad a spot as hunters just yet =P)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
While not quite at the level of you guys, I've recently realized the same issue. I've been benched for the past 3 (by tonight probably 4) Heroics and for the rest of the tier I see zero reason for my guild to bring me. I was sat for Iron Qon which I made a stink about, because the fight was killable with me there. Problem is, it's easier and more killable with any number of other classes. Shadow Priests are a bit like us in terms of damage, it's not great, but Shadow Priests also bring a raid CD and clutch heals if needed. Hunters bring nothing but midrange DPS.

This is the worst state I've seen our class in and it is fairly disappointing. At this point if I'm in for any progression it's out of pity and they're basically losing utility, raid CDs, and/or damage by bringing me. It puts people in progression 10's in a pretty bad spot, and even in 25 man you have no reason to bring more than 1 Hunter. And you're only bringing that 1 so you aren't wasting gear, not because he's needed or useful.

Sad days, man.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I think I solved the problem - roll Warlocks!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I think I solved the problem - roll Warlocks!

The very real truth is that if I was a Warlock (we already have one), I'd have been in on more progression than I have been in on now.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Losing more and more faith in Blizzard every day.

They can hotfix change Powershot's cast time, cooldown, damage, and tooltip np to nerf PvP but can't toss us as much as another Serpent Sting buff.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I strongly suspect that Blizzard knows how hunters are performing and are comfortable with it, because if they didn't know they would be grossly incompetent.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
hunters suck compared to other classes but lets be real, everyone in this thread is either in a 10m or not in a super srs guild that will not bring you because you are a hunter. if you are getting benched or forced to play an alt in a 25 man guild that is NOT getting orange rankings, it is probably time to look for another guild

my guild has used 2 hunters to kill literally almost every boss and we were rank west 46/US 16 25man last tier which is pretty decent

it's not as bad as ret paladins or as bad as dragon soul hunters. we are probably middle of the pack at best
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

This is the worst state I've seen our class in and it is fairly disappointing.

the first 2? months of dragon soul were way way worse
Reply Quote
62 Worgen Warrior
There's no reason to bring a Hunter over another class in any fight for 10 man. There's no job in Heroic ToT that another class doesn't do better than we do, including damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I haven't been in too many 25man settings but with the 10mans we run, its the hunters who are blowing the DPS out of the water. Plus locks only do good damage if its a skilled lock who knows his class. I've seen plenty of locks do mediocre damage whenever I'm not even trying and still do more damage. I'd say BM is as good a dps to have on any raid even if they have all provided buffs and raid cds. We are an extra set of CCs/Interrupts even without the buffs, bloodlust, and brez.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
I haven't been in too many 25man settings but with the 10mans we run, its the hunters who are blowing the DPS out of the water. Plus locks only do good damage if its a skilled lock who knows his class. I've seen plenty of locks do mediocre damage whenever I'm not even trying and still do more damage. I'd say BM is as good a dps to have on any raid even if they have all provided buffs and raid cds. We are an extra set of CCs/Interrupts even without the buffs, bloodlust, and brez.

That's the rest of your raiders not pulling their weight. Hunters should only be a middle of the pack performer at best. If you or your Hunters are constantly blowing people out of the water, then your others raiders are performing very poorly.

This is why we have parsing websites and such. Helps against anecdotal evidence which, no offense to you personally, it basically useless. I was topping meters in LFR in Dragon Soul by playing dual wield Beast Mastery for lulz but it doesn't mean melee BM was competitive, or even viable.
Edited by Bullettime on 4/9/2013 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
hunters suck compared to other classes but lets be real, everyone in this thread is either in a 10m or not in a super srs guild that will not bring you because you are a hunter. if you are getting benched or forced to play an alt in a 25 man guild that is NOT getting orange rankings, it is probably time to look for another guild

my guild has used 2 hunters to kill literally almost every boss and we were rank west 46/US 16 25man last tier which is pretty decent

it's not as bad as ret paladins or as bad as dragon soul hunters. we are probably middle of the pack at best

It's not so much getting benched as:

-We run 1-2 Hunters
-We do less DPS than just about everyone else in the raid
-We have very little utility this tier.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
This the reason I'm not using this guy with my guild's raiding team anymore and instead switched to tanking for them on my warrior which in turn allowed our other tank to switch to their warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

It's not so much getting benched as:

-We do less DPS than just about everyone else in the raid

this is an exaggeration especially in 25 man guilds

we are middle of the pack at worst, with 0 utility so yes it sucks for 10 mans but we aren't exactly bottom feeders in 25 man
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
although getting rank 5 on heroic council and being #8 on dps is pretty cool i guess :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
although getting rank 5 on heroic council and being #8 on dps is pretty cool i guess :(

Don't really agree that our class is alright because you can pad Living Sands. If you look at the rest of your damage, you're at best middling on the rest of the targets.
Edited by Meleti on 4/9/2013 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]