Blizz Form 10-K Annual Report Filed 2/22/13

90 Dwarf Shaman
Form 10-K
Annual Report

Filed Feb 22, 2013

http://investor.activision.com/reports.cfm

Blizzard's net revenues increased for 2012 as compared to 2011, primarily due to the release of Diablo III in May 2012 and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria in September 2012. The increase in net revenues was partially offset by lower subscription revenues from World of Warcraft due to a lower subscriber base.

At December 31, 2012, the worldwide subscriber* base for World of Warcraft was approximately 9.6 million, down from a base of more than 10 million subscribers at September 30, 2012, and approximately 10.2 million subscribers at December 31, 2011, with the majority of the decline from the East (where the "East" includes China, Taiwan, and Korea, and the "West" includes North America, Europe and Latin America).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Aaaaand?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I believe this was all covered during the quarterly report we discussed beginning of last month. Bottom line: Wow subscriber base still VERY strong
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Interesting. Nothing unexpected, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This has to do with Blizzard's profits and is not related to the game World of Warcraft. The forums are to discuss Warcraft. Not put blizz on blast. That's just annoying.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
The Q is a good read, mainly for investor types but does show that WoW is declining. STill, 9.6 million subs, which is probably around 8 million by now is still incredible for such an old game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
This has to do with Blizzard's profits and is not related to the game World of Warcraft. The forums are to discuss Warcraft. Not put blizz on blast. That's just annoying.
Goes towards the "WoW is dying" crowd.

#'s look good they can't make their argument(s). Helps keep the forums a little "saner".

:)
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
04/08/2013 11:56 AMPosted by Barkloud
The Q is a good read, mainly for investor types but does show that WoW is declining. STill, 9.6 million subs, which is probably around 8 million by now is still incredible for such an old game.

You are correct. That said it was not all that long ago they were at 12 million subscribers.

The rate of decline is pretty staggering.

I think as we head to another Burning Legion (aka cannon type expansion) we will see a p/u in sub numbers. Many consider WOTLK as the height of WoW popularity and it is hard to top such a important lore figure. MoP bosses are forgettable, Garrosh as a main boss reminds me of when we had to fight his son as a deathknight in ICC.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

You are correct. That said it was not all that long ago they were at 12 million subscribers.

12 million is unsustainable. It also was at a period of wow when it was the "angry birds" of the gaming world. Articles in magazines like TIME, the south park episode, wow was the hip and cool thing to play. Now, just like anything, it is no longer hip and cool, so the pop subs have moved on.

For as old as this game is, I would argue that at stabilized subs even around 8M blizzard is doing something right. P2W.. I'm sorry I meant F2P is taking over the casual market anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Blizzard (specifically WoW) as obviously reached it point of "market saturation". The "above average" peak was the ~12-mil around last of BC, early Wrath. This happens. Normalization takes its own time. From zero to 12 million took ~5 years, whereas the dip from 12-mil to 9.6 mil is only, what 2.5 to 3? That's not "staggering" rate of decline at all. And... as the #'s seem to have stabilized from Cata somewhere in the 9-mil to 10-mil area it's not really a decline but merely one leg of a very typical (and reather predictable) market fluctuation of highs and lows that is part and parcel of any business's life.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
they'll be back. they always come back.

I'll start to worry once the game dips under 2 million. and since that's nowhere in sight, things are lookin' good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Garrosh as a main boss reminds me of when we had to fight his son as a deathknight in ICC.

Garrosh doesn't have a son.

That was Varok Saurfang's son Dranosh.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

Conspiracy theories aside it is long, long past time something be done about all the dead and dieing realms that now litter Warcraft.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What is wrong with "staggeringly" to accentuate a point?

You did that on purpose to make me laugh, right? XD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
What is wrong with "staggeringly" to accentuate a point?

Because hyperbole and buzzwords make you sound like a politician, which makes me naturally assume that you're lying (or at least being intentionally deceptive).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]