Blizz Form 10-K Annual Report Filed 2/22/13

14 Worgen Rogue
04/08/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Barkloud
Aaaaand?

The first 90 days of MOP Blizzard had a net loss of 600,000 subscribers (9/30/12 10.2 million subscribers and 12/31/12 that subscriber number was down to 9.6 million).

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

THis is easily explained. There are sooooooo many games out there right now, 9.6 mill paid subs is still a lot of freaking people. A new game comes out everyday it seems like, the market is saturated so it is natural to lose some people.

If you are using this as a platform to say the game sucks now, it doesn;t work. Too many factors involved here.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/08/2013 11:56 AMPosted by Barkloud
The Q is a good read, mainly for investor types but does show that WoW is declining. STill, 9.6 million subs, which is probably around 8 million by now is still incredible for such an old game.

You are correct. That said it was not all that long ago they were at 12 million subscribers.

The rate of decline is pretty staggering.

I think you are using the wrong wording for both of these statements.

you are over-exaggerating one, and under-exaggerating the other.

I'll be nice this one time and I'll let you correct them before I give you a final grade.
Reply Quote
6 Orc Warlock
04/08/2013 12:10 PMPosted by Barkloud
Because hyperbole and buzzwords make you sound like a politician, which makes me naturally assume that you're lying (or at least being intentionally deceptive).

"Staggeringly" is a buzzword? Since when? As far as I know it's just a regular word. Or do only politicians speak English now?
Reply Quote
99 Draenei Paladin
04/08/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Deathrattles
I believe this was all covered during the quarterly report we discussed beginning of last month. Bottom line: Wow subscriber base still VERY strong

That's like saying: "It wasn't a bad airliner crash, only one person got killed."

Difference being, quitting a game isn't quite like death. Quitters usually return.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/08/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Barkloud
Aaaaand?

The first 90 days of MOP Blizzard had a net loss of 600,000 subscribers (9/30/12 10.2 million subscribers and 12/31/12 that subscriber number was down to 9.6 million).

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

expansions will peak right away because everyone and their brother is out the see what it is like..
they were actually up from before the release..
they were at 9.1 then went to 10.2 during and then dropped to 9.6..
as of the last report they were up 500,000 because of MOP rather than down..

Edit: sorry i didn't read the whole thread..just commenting on the first page..i didn't notice we were on page 3 already hehehehe
Edited by Ceka on 4/8/2013 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
My number for next month's announcement is ~9.1 million. I expect quarterly revenues in that division at around $320-330 million. Overall net profit for ATVI will be down from last quarter, but that's really due to Skylanders Giants being a kids Christmas toy more than Warcraft numbers, since Skylanders drove ATVIs profits nearly on its own last year, but with honorable mention going to Diablo 3.

Warcraft is no longer a driver of ATVI profit or revenues, but instead is a back-burner steady earner with good volume but very few prospects for any long-term growth.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Form 10-K
Annual Report

Filed Feb 22, 2013

http://investor.activision.com/reports.cfm

Blizzard's net revenues increased for 2012 as compared to 2011, primarily due to the release of Diablo III in May 2012 and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria in September 2012. The increase in net revenues was partially offset by lower subscription revenues from World of Warcraft due to a lower subscriber base.

At December 31, 2012, the worldwide subscriber* base for World of Warcraft was approximately 9.6 million, down from a base of more than 10 million subscribers at September 30, 2012, and approximately 10.2 million subscribers at December 31, 2011, with the majority of the decline from the East (where the "East" includes China, Taiwan, and Korea, and the "West" includes North America, Europe and Latin America).

Despite the fact that this is pretty old news, we should thank QQLoud for pointing out how amazing this game is!

Blizzard has done such an amazing job over the years with their 8 year old MMO and managed to hold onto almost 10,000,000 subs.

If it weren't for all the awesome work Blizzard has been doing WOW would be like every other 8+ year old MMO out there.

Kudos to the Blizzard WOW team for continuing to produce the best MMO on the market for 8+ years. What a truly staggering accomplishment.
Edited by Kezmaefele on 4/8/2013 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Give this man a free realm transfer!

He actually knows what a 10-K is. That's reason enough.
Reply Quote
99 Draenei Paladin

Difference being, quitting a game isn't quite like death. Quitters usually return.

Quitters usually return? When are the ~3.5 million coming back?

I'm not sure if you're expecting them all to return at the exact same moment... or maybe some return... some quit... it's a revolving door.

But to compare quitting a game to death?? really??? I'm sure that quitters CAN return and have... not so with death.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/08/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Deathrattles
I believe this was all covered during the quarterly report we discussed beginning of last month. Bottom line: Wow subscriber base still VERY strong

That's like saying: "It wasn't a bad airliner crash, only one person got killed."

Um not to be a jerk but an airline crash that only kills one person is pretty damn impressive.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Conspiracy theories aside it is long, long past time something be done about all the dead and dieing realms that now litter Warcraft.

I always felt that blizzard is afraid of server mergers due to the public reaction. I think they are afraid of how websites like IGN and Kotaku would react, possibly screaming "WOW IS DEAD THEY ARE MERGING SERVERS END OF AN ERA?!?!?!" I always found the term "sensationalist media" to be usual hyperbole, but part of me understands their fear. There is a history of when an MMO merges servers for everyone to call it "dead" after all.

Hell twitter alone would be in flames with people asking if wow is dying and perhaps blizzard just doesn't feel comfortable putting out those fires just yet.

I find it funny how Kotaku / IGN / Game Informer have yet to pick up on the dead and dying realm fiasco, I wonder how much they get behind the scenes not to mention it ?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The next report will paint a more defined picture. I don't expect that they lost many, if any at all. I really doubt it they picked any up.

I guess we got a month to find out, but I'm going bold and guessing it could be below 9 mil, though they'll probably report that as "about 9 mil."
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

Um not to be a jerk but an airline crash that only kills one person is pretty damn impressive.

Not if that one person was the only one on board ;)
Edited by Fleafly on 4/8/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]