Blizz Form 10-K Annual Report Filed 2/22/13

90 Night Elf Druid

Um not to be a jerk but an airline crash that only kills one person is pretty damn impressive.

Not if that one person was the only person on board ;)

Airline ain't gonna fly a plane with one person on board though. They run on such a tiny margin of profit, they'd cancel the flight first.

YES I'M GOING TO SPLIT HAIRS ON THIS.
Reply Quote
"Staggeringly" is a buzzword? Since when? As far as I know it's just a regular word. Or do only politicians speak English now?

Obvious liberal jibber jabber, trying to make someone feel as if they have to be equal to everyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/08/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Graphite
"Staggeringly" is a buzzword? Since when? As far as I know it's just a regular word. Or do only politicians speak English now?

Obvious liberal jibber jabber, trying to make someone feel as if they have to be equal to everyone else.

I thought libruls were elitists, k shouldn't we be insisting everyone talk as if they were writing an academic paper at all times.

Or am I behind in my Faux news cycle.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Um not to be a jerk but an airline crash that only kills one person is pretty damn impressive.

Overall, is it a bad thing or a good thing?

I feel like I'm obligated to Godwin this to bring the ridiculousness to it's conclusion.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Warcraft is no longer a driver of ATVI profit or revenues, but instead is a back-burner steady earner with good volume but very few prospects for any long-term growth.

I think that's an accurate statement.

I'll also say that I think the sharp decline in subscribers during the Cataclysm period had a lot to do with the shuffling of the officers in charge of actually making and running the game.

From the original release to the middle of the Wrath period, Jeff Kaplan had final responsibility for the end game activities. During the Wrath beta, they brought in Greg Street and had him train under Kaplan. Then in the middle of Wrath, they moved Kaplan over to the Titan project. Following that Greg Street and Tom Chilton have been in charge. My guess is that the last major project that Kaplan ran was Ulduar, and the last one he had influence over was ICC.

I think a lot of what we saw with Cataclysm was Chilton and Street wanting to redesign the game in their own image. It took Kaplan 4 to 5 years to figure out how to approach what the player base wanted. I think that's pretty much the horizon for that sort of thing. When you change personal you sacrifice a lot of experience and it takes time to recover that.

Mind you, that's all just speculation on my part.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The next report will paint a more defined picture. I don't expect that they lost many, if any at all. I really doubt it they picked any up.

Players claimed the 4th quarter results this year of lost subscription base would be huge since it would have removed all the Annual Pass subscribers. <600k for an eight year old game isn't that huge a loss.

We still had CRZ, LFR improvements, more content and storyline added 1st quarter, and more on its way.

I would think this 1st quarter results would show an improvement overall.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/08/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Deathrattles
It's not an unusual analogy.

That's the problem with analogies, they usually don't fit at all. Comparing quitting a game with death is saying anyone who quits can never come back.

I'm waiting for you to prove that none of those 3 mil you think are so important have ever come back.
Edited by Cocoa on 4/8/2013 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
<600k for an eight year old game isn't that huge a loss.

No one said it was huge, it was staggering omg get it right this is very important word choice.
Edited by Amyiss on 4/8/2013 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I bought MoP six times over. I found it to be incredibly boxer unfriendly and unsubbed every last one of them save one.

Take from that what you will. With the anti-boxer direction the game is going in many people will tune out that love to 2 box, 3 box, and so on. I believe those numbers are decidedly higher than people want to believe.

That doesn't even touch dailies which many single boxers despise. If they are moving in a direction to not gate progress through dailies you'll know their sub decreases are hitting home. They wouldn't do it for any other reason because believe it or not they spend a lot of money developing those stupid dailies.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Despite the fact that this is pretty old news, we should thank QQLoud for pointing out how amazing this game is!

Blizzard has done such an amazing job over the years with their 8 year old MMO and managed to hold onto almost 10,000,000 subs.

If it weren't for all the awesome work Blizzard has been doing WOW would be like every other 8+ year old MMO out there.

Kudos to the Blizzard WOW team for continuing to produce the best MMO on the market for 8+ years. What a truly staggering accomplishment.

My day just isn't complete without a comment from Kez!

Almost Gottfried today big guy, almost Gottfriend.

How about I'm Walter Mathau from the Odd Couple and you get to be Jack Lemon.

We see this game in a totally opposite light.

You - the dour pessimist nitpicking at anything and everything in an unsubtle attempt to manipulate the devs into catering to your agenda based on your background of constant entitlement from your moms basement

Me - the pragmatic optimist with a background in software development and engineering that still is in awe of the design and development of this game and still having fun after all these years.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/08/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Frostbringer
The next report will paint a more defined picture. I don't expect that they lost many, if any at all. I really doubt it they picked any up.

Players claimed the 4th quarter results this year of lost subscription base would be huge since it would have removed all the Annual Pass subscribers. <600k for an eight year old game isn't that huge a loss.

We still had CRZ, LFR improvements, more content and storyline added 1st quarter, and more on its way.

I would think this 1st quarter results would show an improvement overall.
You're forgetting that Annual Passes are expiring. Clearly, the results from Q4 were illustrative that players were leaving during the end of the quarter (look at the revenue paid per subscriber during the period and you'll note that people must have been paying up until nearly the very end of the year before they left), but not the beginning. Once you align this information up with how the AP's work, and consider that there's sometimes a lag between an AP expiration and someone actually walking away from the game completely, I think it's pretty obvious that you should see some more customer bleed during the last quarter, while pent-up cancelations are realized as contracts expire.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
You're point? WoW is still doing well compared to it's aclaimed "killers" GW2, Tera and SWTOR all which went F2P except for GW2 which already was. I'm not seeing a single point in this whole OP.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
The OP is a idiot.

You can easily tell by the very report that he linked explained that the losses happened in China. The OP being the idiot that he is chooses to ignore that fact because it doesn`t help his crusade.

It has been verified many many times over the course of WoW`s lifetime that China is far behind North America in terms of expansions. It has also been confirmed that the player base in China likes more `hardcore`games like how BC was and that China gets bored easliy when games are too casual like how Wrath was. Now I know the OP is too stupid to figure this out but why was the largest sub loss in WoW`s history at the time China got the Wrath expansion?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/08/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Deathrattles
You're point? WoW is still doing well compared to it's aclaimed "killers" GW2, Tera and SWTOR all which went F2P except for GW2 which already was. I'm not seeing a single point in this whole OP.

Other than lost jobs? Or are they still employing the same amount of people that they did when they had 12 million?

Probably not. A lot of businesses closed completely or downsized quite a bit due to the recession. I love the fact that blizzard hires thousands of employees, nothing is done outside their offices. Can't say the same for all the "WoW killers" out there.
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage

Not if that one person was the only person on board ;)

Airline ain't gonna fly a plane with one person on board though. They run on such a tiny margin of profit, they'd cancel the flight first.

YES I'M GOING TO SPLIT HAIRS ON THIS.

I've flown when there was only one other person on board a fairly sizable plane.

Granted, it was right after 9/11 and they may have just needed to get the plane from Chicago to DC for other reasons, but still. The other guy on the plane was on crutches so I figured I could take him if he tried anything funny. Good times.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]