Blizz Form 10-K Annual Report Filed 2/22/13

90 Human Warlock
Was someone asking about brewmasters?

Yes.

Me.

What does a lock have to do to get a drink abound here?
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Priest
04/08/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Barkloud
Aaaaand?

The first 90 days of MOP Blizzard had a net loss of 600,000 subscribers (9/30/12 10.2 million subscribers and 12/31/12 that subscriber number was down to 9.6 million).

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

They better NOT do free transfers. I transferred to a server with a huge Horde pop and a small Alliance one because I'm sick of dealing with Alliance. 6:1 is nice and I paid a lot of money to move here. If you don't like it, pay to move like the rest of us did.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
04/08/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Amyiss
That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion.

The best part of these threads is people putting words into conversations that they would never use in real life.

'Staggeringly' come on son, you aren't being graded on this.
We are now not allowed to use words that are on a syllabus aimed at grade 6 or higher...? I have a large vocabulary, I was in the higher end English courses throughout my school career, etc. I'm sorry if the big mean words are scary. Some of us like to make well rounded statements, and often that includes using words that people over the age of 12 should be ok using in everyday life.

That said, I'm surprised they've seen so many WoW sub losses so fast. It is curious that they're coming from a particular region. I'd like more information about these sub losses; are compromised accounts that are shut down counted as sub losses?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/08/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Quessan

You're crazy to think 600k doesn't matter.. that breaks off quite a bit off their profits. 600k subs, at 15$ per month, at 12 months.. 108 million.

doesn't seem like a little bit now does it?

In the grand scheme of things... considering the age of the game and that not everyone is going to like everything new they add? Yeah it is nothing.

Looking at most American businesses out there, Blizzard is holding up pretty good for a game that is 10 yrs old and has to compete with new games popping up all the time that are f2p.

I have noticed that it's mostly the complainers who worry so much about Blizzards profits... I picture most of them with long black mustaches, constantly twirling the ends and saying "mwahahahahahah".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/08/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Cozzene
We are now not allowed to use words that are on a syllabus aimed at grade 6 or higher...? I have a large vocabulary, I was in the higher end English courses throughout my school career, etc. I'm sorry if the big mean words are scary.

I'm going to lol at academic writing from people trying to sound smart when they can't spell 'ridiculous' right on any other day.

No matter how learned and impressive your very important accomplishments are, or how much patronizing smarm you can write them with.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Old game is old and not getting any younger. This is shocking?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
04/08/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Deathrattles
You're point? WoW is still doing well compared to it's aclaimed "killers" GW2, Tera and SWTOR all which went F2P except for GW2 which already was. I'm not seeing a single point in this whole OP.

Other than lost jobs? Or are they still employing the same amount of people that they did when they had 12 million?

The WoW development team has more members now than ever before! :)

You're seeing less time between content cycles as we continue to grow and essentially restructure our production pipeline, so that some designers within each WoW development team can focus on alternating patches. Mind you, there's no black-and-white divide in the team -- everyone's contributing in some way to each patch and expansion -- but we can have members from each team focused sharply on 5.3, while others are already working hard on 5.4 and beyond.

This fact alone leaves me very curious to hear exactly what argument the OP has here...

04/08/2013 12:18 PMPosted by Barkloud
'
Because they ain't being paid to make sure the game stagnates in place as long as possible.

They are being paid to maximize profit. I would argue at this point they are definitely paid to make sure this games stagnates as long as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/08/2013 12:30 PMPosted by Deathrattles
I believe this was all covered during the quarterly report we discussed beginning of last month. Bottom line: Wow subscriber base still VERY strong

That's like saying: "It wasn't a bad airliner crash, only one person got killed."
It's nothing like that.

Like, at all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
So you STILL haven't said what your point is...
Reply Quote
24 Human Hunter

Agreed. I've been reading along and can't find one either?
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
04/08/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Visbery

Agreed. I've been reading along and can't find one either?

It's entirely possible he's just ranting for the sake of ranting for the sake of getting attention.

Fight for your $25, what do you have to lose?

I can think of plenty of things I'd rather be doing than going on a crusade for $25.
Edited by Deatherknite on 4/8/2013 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/08/2013 03:09 PMPosted by Barkloud
This is Blizzard's mess to clean up.

Blizzard didn't force players to move to servers and create the imbalances. As the player you quoted stated, many players pay for the transfer specifically because they want the imbalance.

What really makes me mad though, is switching servers is a baseline free service in newer MMO's.

So given that allowing players the choice to transfer servers in the first place is what exacerbated if not created the major balance issues that exist, exactly why do you think making the service free would curb that behavior?
Reply Quote
82 Worgen Death Knight
I'm still scratching my head on why this was posted a month after the fact anyway ????

People will still play regardless if there is a decline or rise in subs, When will people learn.

04/08/2013 11:54 AMPosted by Barkloud
Aaaaand?

The first 90 days of MOP Blizzard had a net loss of 600,000 subscribers (9/30/12 10.2 million subscribers and 12/31/12 that subscriber number was down to 9.6 million).

That is a staggeringly large net loss during the first 3 months of a brand new expansion. I can only imagine what the quarterly report will say in April/May.

Maybe if we had free server transfers off imbalanced and empty servers people would stay.

So basically your complaining about having to pay to move servers ??
Edited by Rehydration on 4/8/2013 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/08/2013 03:23 PMPosted by Mirs
The WoW development team has more members now than ever before! :)

That doesn't fill me with as much confidence as you would think.
10 guys working well together in a tight knit group is preferable to 100 people stepping on each other's toes simply because there's too many people.

More isn't always better, quite often it's the opposite.

You should probably have an understanding of the company and procedures of "how things get done" before you try to claim a statement like that :)
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Mage
Why do people post boring stuff like this? If I wanted to see math, I'd go to school D:
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]