Hunter Buttons.

90 Human Hunter
Anyone else think hunter's feel really good right now? I probably should frequent the forums more, but I see all these blue responses and twitter questions on various sites in response to people claiming Hunters have "too many buttons." I mean, I will say that the rotations can be pretty tight, but I like it that way. When I used to play my frost DK I really hated sitting around at times when I had no buttons to press, sometimes filling the down time with random things like horn of winter. Having something to press all the time is a lot better in my opinion. The only thing that even is a remote issue is figuring out how to start a fight (at least as survival) but as long as everything is on cooldown in the first few seconds, it's really not an issue at all. Just wondering what fellow hunters think, and hoping to stop the complaints of "too many buttons" because as someone who has always played a hunter since the day I bought the game, and loved every minute of it, I don't want my class to lose the feel that it has right now and that I love so much.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
04/09/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Kevin
The only thing that even is a remote issue is figuring out how to start a fight (at least as survival)

It's just as bad if not worse for BM.

Remove Readiness and the opener would be less "frantic".

What I originally loved so much about Hunters was our huge tool kit and all our niche abilities. Now what I hate is our huge tool kit and all our niche abilities. lol

When I first started it felt amazing to have all these situational abilties. I felt like I could do anything. But as the game progressed the other classes gained more and more "tools" and in many cases their tools were more "potent" than ours. e.g. Deterrence versus Bubble or Disengage versus Blink or Scatter + Freezing Trap versus Hex.

Then enter our new talents... pretty much just more buttons to press for more DPS. Not very interesting, just more crap to fill our action bars AFTER Blizz admits that Hunters have button bloat. Their design is counter-intuitive.

And that's pretty much been our development over the years. I think Blizz has had a very difficult time "balancing" hunters since the inception of the class. One slight adjust even to a single ability and we go from way over-power to very weak OR vice versa.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent there...lol
Edited by Melix on 4/10/2013 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
The button bloat is the basic fact that theres so much to watch and so many buttons to press. You mentioned DK, you were supposed to HoW in your downtime, it gave Runic power. You were designed to HoW on cooldown. I have to watch (as survival) Exp Shot, Dire beast, BA, MoC, SS, Barrage, Rapid fire, Tinker, trinkets, pots, the floor, the boss, my pet, my raid mates.
Its just the fact that hunters basically play whack-a-mole with their bars.
Look at an elemental shaman. They have a priority system. FS LvB Lbto7s ES. Whereas hunters are "is it off cooldown? Press it"
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

other classes gained more and more "tools" and in many cases their tools were more "potent" than ours. e.g. Deterrence versus Bubble or Disengage versus Blink or Scatter + Freezing Trap versus Hex.

Yeah, I agree with this. I love deterence in raid situations, but in PvP it sucks to not be able to attack/carry a flag with our main defensive cd. I suppose it would be alright to remove a couple things, or like I saw blizzard suggest, add a passive choice to the talent tier with Murder of Crows, though I feel they'd need to compensate by tweaking some CD's and damage of other abilities.

I have to watch (as survival) Exp Shot, Dire beast, BA, MoC, SS, Barrage, Rapid fire, Tinker, trinkets, pots, the floor, the boss, my pet, my raid mates.
Its just the fact that hunters basically play whack-a-mole with their bars.
Look at an elemental shaman. They have a priority system. FS LvB Lbto7s ES. Whereas hunters are "is it off cooldown? Press it"

I do notice that sometimes I neglect watching the floor in a raid because I'm watching cooldowns. Addons help, but I suppose designing a class to need addons isn't a good idea. I wouldn't say it's entirely whack-a-mole, while it's probably not as much of a priority system as ele shaman, there are things in survival that take priority, but I understand your point.

I guess the biggest thing is that I don't see it as a huge problem. I don't like to say things like "just play another class" but I do think that maybe the focus (no pun intended) require to play a hunter is just how the class is now? I like it for the most part, though if they do add a passive talent in the Murder of Crows tier, I think even the one ability might be enough, (as long as it's tuned well with murder of crows) I mean, the long CD for it makes it less important than other abilities, but even one less ability to ever think about is nice. The only other thing I could ask of blizzard is to figure out a way to make TotH better. As survival, I rarely use arcane shot on its own, and when I do, it's so I don't focus cap, so having free arcane shots does almost nothing for me. Maybe just make it something more like reduce the focus cost of your next shot/kill command by x amount or x%? I'm not sure since I don't know what goes into balancing, but it's something to look at.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
Personally, my peak fun experience with my hunter came from playing Surv back in Cata. It seemed like I had just enough stuff to manage to make playing challenging without being overly complex and taking away from the fun factor. Now with several new CDs that need to be managed in addition to everything we had before I'm really starting to feel the button bloat and its jut not feeling as fun to me as it once was.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]