Off Healing

87 Human Death Knight
I hope I have the correct term in the first place. I want to start a healer for raids. I have never played a healer and have soled pretty much my entire time in WOW. I played a DK , hunter or Lock. I have never raided in groups and I have been in about 2 groups in the beginning for the Dead Mines. I want my healer not be the main tank healer but I want someone to be the back up and heal other raid memebers. A healer that would be a good support for the raids. I have read the forums just a need a little push. I am open to all classes. Thanks in adavnce for any feed back.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you want to be support/utility/offheals, Go shaman or Resto Druid.

Shaman is far more...less relied upon? Good support and utility in Cd's. They've got the most 'money' cd's in the game imo.

Just don't expect to be high on any healing meters.

Ps, nobody is a dedicated tank healer any more. Healing responsibilities are generally shared equally for all healers. Shamans just happen to be weaker in a lot of areas. I only recommend shaman if you desire to play more of a support role. Shamans may be the weakest healers in the game right now, but they're never frowed upon outside of bleeding edge progression I suppose. They bring a lot to a raid and your cohealers will love your mana tide.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
04/12/2013 02:22 PMPosted by Tonydanza

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5236/shammyhealers.png

Yep.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/12/2013 02:30 PMPosted by Tiriel

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5236/shammyhealers.png

Yep.

What fight? Anything but meg and call me surprised.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Just to clarify the lingo.

"Off healing" is when a dps or tank spec heals party members for various reasons. It is never considered off healing when a healing spec is healing.

The concept of a raid healer and tank healer is mostly dead. Every healing spec has a heal or buff they'll maintain on the tank a large portion of the time and every member of the healing team is expected to pitch in to heal the tank when heavy damage happens. There hasn't been real tank healing since WotLK when healers would constantly cast their largest heal and stopcast before it finished if the tank wasn't damaged enough.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Just to clarify the lingo.

"Off healing" is when a dps or tank spec heals party members for various reasons. It is never considered off healing when a healing spec is healing.

This is correct. OP what you're describing is "raid healing" or "free for all healing".

The best choices for classes that are least likely to have to tank heal are Resto Druid and Mistweaver Monk, but you never know. A good healer is willing/able to do whatever they're assigned to do, to the best of the spec's ability. In serious raid environments, even while raid healing, every healer has responsibilities.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
What fight? Anything but meg and call me surprised.

That was Heroic Council.

We also have raiders who move into Efflo when at all possible.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Ps, nobody is a dedicated tank healer any more. Healing responsibilities are generally shared equally for all healers. Shamans just happen to be weaker in a lot of areas. I only recommend shaman if you desire to play more of a support role. Shamans may be the weakest healers in the game right now, but they're never frowed upon outside of bleeding edge progression I suppose. They bring a lot to a raid and your cohealers will love your mana tide.

Shamans have issues with spread healing - this doesn't make them over all weak healers. There's a big difference between the two.

Having large numbers for your HPS (heals per second OP, like DPS is damage per second) isn't all that important. If you're going to pay any attention at all to those numbers then look at the percentage healed. Often times Shamans may have much lower HPS but still be doing the same percentage of raid healing as other healers with high HPS. People always look at the first number and always fail to consider the second. On top of that I always get a kick beating people out on the meters who have high HPS with my lowly Shaman numbers. That situation has been making me laugh since Cata and is a good example of why HPS by itself should never be taken as serious measurement.

Whether or not there's a main tank healer depends on a lot of factors including the number of healers brought and if the tanks will need someone to constantly watch the tanks if they will be taking sustained high damage. While there isn't a lot of distinction between healing roles anymore that seems to be because all classes are capable of doing both - tank and raid healing.

I would say heal with whatever class you like the best. It may be a good idea to think about how you want to heal since all the classes do things differently. A class I may really love may end up not appealing to you at all. If there's a healing class you'd like to try out roll a tone and go into LFD at level 15 to try it out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I dunno what you're talking about tank and raid healing roles being completely dead. I'm pretty much the Tank healer in my raid. I only raid heal during heavy AE damage phases. Other than that I'm healing the main and off tank pretty much 100% of the time. I don't bother with raid healing as it is way to much of a mana sink.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Orphis, to decide on what sort of toon you want to heal with, I'd advise asking 4 guildies to start alts SPECIFICALLY for you to heal, then all five of you level those alts up to early-dungeon-levels(I know you can do DM at 15), and focus on doing the dungeon, legitimately(like..no zerging and such). Just so you can feel what a Hot-based healer would feal like(example: druids are REALLY proactive), or what a shield healer(like a disc priest, or paladin) would feel like, or a reactive healer.
It's not that hard to hit lvl 15 and decide. It IS tricky to level up aaaaaalllllll the toons to 90 before making a call :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]