Soothing Punches, a Mistweaver Guide

04/14/2013 07:02 PMPosted by Gonin
this actually just confused me more than anything. If i am going to write a guide on how to do anything, I am going to write it on something I know, and how I do it, not on how you or he or she does it. It makes no sense to do it that way, because I don't know how everyone else does things.

Okay. Well. But if you write a guide based only on how you play, then the guide is useless for anyone who doesn't want to play just like you.

You can learn (or take an educated guess at) how other people do things by looking at their armories. You can look at other mistweavers to see their stat priority and what glyphs they use. Based on that, you can take a guess as to whether they focus on fistweaving or cast-healing. If you'd actually done that, you'd see that fistweaving IS used by people who are raiding at a high level.

You can also try out different ways of doing things and educate yourself on the advantages and disadvantages. If you'd done that, you'd have discussed Glyph of Mana Tea in more detail, because unglyphed does have its advantages over glyphed. (For one, you can drink like 10 stacks of it while Hymn of Hope is increasing your mana pool, giving you slightly more mana out of it.) You also would have discussed stats in more detail, because your stat priority is highly dependent on your goals as a healer, and that plays into details such as which meta gem you choose.

Speaking of -- your meta socket is empty. If someone looks at your armory, they'll see that you're not putting any effort into being the best mistweaver you could be. By enchanting your gear, you're showing that you've thought about which stats and which enchants are best for you.

In ADDITION to all that, most guides I've read have a lengthy section detailing what your important spells are and what they do, so new healers have a complete list and can make an informed opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you don't have all of the facts on the class, and are making a guide based on what you, yourself, have experienced, you can help absolutely nobody. Even if -I- wrote a guide based on my experiences, it wouldn't be useful for anyone but me.

I appreciate what you're attempting to do, but you're spreading misinformation and you are very wrong on almost every account.

The OP is trying to provide a service to the community (that is indeed missing on this forum, and has been since I can remember...), and he's getting piled on for no good reason. Out of all of the people this post could have (and should have) come from. it comes from MIST. I'm not poking at you, Mist, but the role-reversal here (mostly regarding everyone else) is eye-opening.

Get off his back about professions - the bonuses they give are negligible, at any level of content. Really.

That said, OP, gems and enchants, spread over 14 pieces gear, however, do matter. They matter both in terms of practicing what your guide preaches (regarding stats and such), but also, as Linelle (I think) said, they matter in terms of presentation. If you don't have your character's gear optimized for the way you play (note, I did not say this would necessarily be what are considered *optimal* choices), then you appear sloppy. While that does not change any word you might have said in your guide, it does change how people perceive those words, and it does matter. In all things.

I too, appreciate what you are trying to contribute to the healing community, OP, and as I said, it's something that has been missing for a very long time on this forum. There are a number of people in this thread who are slamming your guide, who don't have the courage to write one themselves. Now you know why. In fact, they don't even have the courage to make a post (for sticky) that contains nothing more than links to any guides from any of the individual class forums, or anywhere else. They call you sloppy, and yet we, as a healing forum, are not providing the most basic service to anyone who wants to learn how to heal. Even Abeille's sticky, imo, doesn't really do the job. Since this is the Healing forum, we really should have a stickied guide dedicated to each class...yeah.

I have the tools, experience, and writing skills to do these, OP, but I won't. Not because I fear criticism from...people...but because I do not play any of them like most people do. As Mist said, if I wrote a guide, it probably would not help anyone who played based on math, logic, or anything else that doesn't actually matter. Therefore, they would be organized, and look pretty, but they would not serve their intended purpose in the end.

Some of you really, really need to get off your high-horse. Once you have a few tools, and a little bit of experience, healing in this game is not that difficult.

At. any. level. of. progression.

I thank you for your effort, OP, and I hope you revise it, and try again. I'm just sorry (and ashamed, quite frankly), at the reception you received here.

Thanks again, Mist, for saying what should have been said, the way it should have been said.

Riôt
Edited by Riôt on 4/15/2013 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
8 Dwarf Priest
04/15/2013 01:39 PMPosted by Riôt
The OP is trying to provide a service to the community (that is indeed missing on this forum, and has been since I can remember...), and he's getting piled on for no good reason.

while the responses to the OP have been a bit too rabid for my taste, i believe the reasons behind them are quite good.

people are justified in being skeptical and critical of anything, no matter who it comes from. we are at a point in history where people generally are demanding better, a little better every day, from others.

the anger at the OP comes, imo, from the perception that he isn't demanding better from himself. people are angry because he doesn't appear to have taken the time or energy to get up to date on the current common knowledge about the subject before posting. so if he isn't setting standards for himself about the knowledge available in community wisdom about mistweavers, before he sets it down in text, the only people who can make him aware that better standards are expected are his intended audience - through rejection of his work.

if the rejection is a bit too aggressive, or why it is, is up to debate.
Reply Quote
The OP is actually incorporating advice from people into the guide! Very cool. I think the reception would have been a lot less hostile if Gonin had solicited advice to begin with. What if people pitched in with the sort of advice and analysis that ought to be in a guide?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'll take back what I have said before because the OP is actually changing the guide based upon sound advice.

Still, enchant your gear and such man. :P
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
I too, appreciate what you are trying to contribute to the healing community, OP, and as I said, it's something that has been missing for a very long time on this forum. There are a number of people in this thread who are slamming your guide, who don't have the courage to write one themselves. Now you know why. In fact, they don't even have the courage to make a post (for sticky) that contains nothing more than links to any guides from any of the individual class forums, or anywhere else. They call you sloppy, and yet we, as a healing forum, are not providing the most basic service to anyone who wants to learn how to heal. Even Abeille's sticky, imo, doesn't really do the job. Since this is the Healing forum, we really should have a stickied guide dedicated to each class...yeah.

While, I agree with you on some points, Riot, most people will go to the class forums before they come to this one- that's generally where the stickies are for each individual spec (trying to get mine stickied on the shaman forums- there's currently no resto guide there).

In the sticky on this forum Abe explains each of the specs and links people to their class forums.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/15/2013 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
My personal opinion on any guide writing is this:
-You should have experience playing the class under the conditions you are writing the guide for. For example, if you only do 5 mans you should stick to writing a Dungeon Healing as a ClassX guide. If you've never pvped on your character or done heroic raiding (without overgearing and post-nerf) you shouldn't write about those topics.
-You should have a clear understanding of the existing resources. This means thumbing through the 40+ pages of EJ and MMO champ threads. Tooltips don't do service to the complexity of spells, ReM doesn't say "gains an extra tick at X% haste, Y% haste" in the tooltip. Nor are the tooltips always accurate. Nor can 1 person be expected to have every single revelation about how a class works and how to optimize it.
--Much of the pushback on your guide is because you brushed aside talents/skills/rotation people generally consider to be better than your choice under many circumstances. IF you would have read other resources you would have seen a variety of opinions, seen that the choice isn't clear cut, and instead portrays these choices as situation.
-You should probably check the numbers anyways. For instance, for fistweaving you should take all the different fistweaving rotations you've found for 5.2 and actually determine their DPS, HPS, mana consumption. Hint: if I took your rotation and flipped when I used the abilities I could do more damage for the same mana in the same time period. Needless to say, there are definitely higher dps rotations that you haven't explored yet though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's no need for hostility anyway...regardless if the information was correct or not. He tried to help. Nowhere in his guide did he say his word was law. Admittedly, should you write a guide if you are not absolutely sure your information is fact, probably not...but at least he's trying to incorporate people's advice and corrections.

Nobody needs to be a jerk just because he made a mistake.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]