Does ret get better?

90 Worgen Death Knight
Currently level 50 atm on my ret with most heirlooms and idk

In PVE my DPS is lacking... and i have SOO much downtime and censure doesn't do well sustaining DPS

PVP is even worse.. anything can heal past your damage.. you do great initial burst.. then you need to wait like 15 seconds before you can do that again.. and by then they can heal your damage 10 fold
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Not for another twenty levels or so. 72 will give you Wings, which is a powerful DPS cooldown, and 75 will give you either Holy Avenger or an augmentation to Wings which is quite potent. At 80, with mastery, damage will go up; Hand of Light adds an extra packet of damage to ever Templar's Verdict, Crusader Strike, Hammer of Wrath, Hammer of the Righteous, and Divine Storm that is based on a percentage of the initial hit. And at 81, you'll get Inquisition which will increase the power of all Holy damage done and increase your crit rate by a flat 10%. Weapon damage is also really pathetic at that level, but it usually picks up as you get into Cata content.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Low levels are painful for a bunch of classes.

At 50 you are missing the following that are a big deal to ret:
sanctity of battle
mastery stat
inquisition
tier 75 and 90 talents
avenging wrath and guardian of ancient kings (ret needs these cds)
lack of hit and expertise

There is also the fact things scale wonky at lower levels. Weapons in general do not scale that much till late wrath early cata. Primary stats like strength also do not shoot up notably till the same period.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The sad thing is Ret feels like an actual contender at lower levels. The higher you get, the suckier it gets as you watch the other classes scale better, get access to far better tools and more of them.

Take my word on that, Ret was my former main until I began to wonder why I was putting up with crap and calling it sugar.
Edited by Randarion on 4/17/2013 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The sad thing is Ret feels like an actual contender at lower levels. The higher you get, the suckier it gets as you watch the other classes scale better, get access to far better tools and more of them.

Take my word on that, Ret was my former main until I began to wonder why I was putting up with crap and calling it sugar.

No, you simply gave up too soon. Ret does feel weak initially...until you get a decent weapon. Weapon quality is very important to Ret, and if you give up before you get a decent weapon you never experience what the spec can actually do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

eh ret is really good actually right now, biggest issue I see with other rets is bad holy power management and not keeping inquisition up 100%.

Next is improper use of CDs, I easily pull 2nd/3rd top dps (Behind mages) in raids. And I'm pretty behind on the gear totem pole.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Low level is good for very little when judging a class or spec, other then finding out if you enjoy it's base mechanics and feel.

Yes it gets better. Don't worry about how you perform, worry about if you're actually enjoying the spec.

At max level you won't suddenly be amazing either. Ret is gear dependent, especially in regards to weapons, and it's also not a spec you can just mash buttons with and expect to excel.

You're going to have to gear your character up a bit and actually know what you're doing for it to feel good, and if you enjoy the spec it is good.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 4/17/2013 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Spoken like a true quitter. Minimum level for your statement is level 85, at that point you can drop or keep. Why 85? because getting 1-85, takes about as long as 85-90 about 5days played time.
Edited by Andryana on 4/17/2013 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
5days played time

Not even, try 2 days ;x
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
04/17/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Randarion
The higher you get, the suckier it gets as you watch the other classes scale better, get access to far better tools and more of them.

Just today, in LFR, myself and a fellow Ret dominated everything from Mages to DKs. If Ret was as weak as you claim, neither of us should have been capable of that in even heroic raid gear with everyone else in LFR gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
04/17/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
The higher you get, the suckier it gets as you watch the other classes scale better, get access to far better tools and more of them.

Just today, in LFR, myself and a fellow Ret dominated everything from Mages to DKs. If Ret was as weak as you claim, neither of us should have been capable of that in even heroic raid gear with everyone else in LFR gear.

Yah noted the SAME thing, as is I am top 5 on every LFR I run... I have not really felt my RET lagging behind, in most pve... PvP yah am far from numero uno, but still not bottom of the barrel.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I really, really wish people would stop saying ret is so horrible. it is not the strongest spec as far as dps is concerned, and realistically, it shouldn't be.

they're addressing our damage once again next patch anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I've played Ret as my main since Vanilla Beta, wasn't saying that to be mean but informative.

Yes, PvE can be good for Ret if you have good gear, but PvP is an entirely different story and the downside to which I was referring.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I hit level 90 on my pally, got some 440+ blues, a heroic weapon, and his dps is still very underwhelming. I Just gave up and went holy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It takes time, gear, and patience before things get better, as with all classes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Go long arm of the law, burden of guilt, and selfless healer. Use the 'harsh words' glyph because it's op at low levels. Then you can just run around kiting everything and playing like a holy mage. You should be able to 2 shot alot of people with an exorcism/harsh words combo, or atleast set them up for a hammer of wrath to finish them off. 50-64 is when ret is most powerful in low level PvP. Probably the most op class in those 3 brackets other than prot warrior, considering you're basically a mage in plate armor who can heal yourself to full in one cast anytime you want. Use a sword and shield macro for when you go up against prot warriors and you should be good to go.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I hit level 90 on my pally, got some 440+ blues, a heroic weapon, and his dps is still very underwhelming. I Just gave up and went holy.

Heroic...dungeon weapon? 463 isn't that great. You'd see some major improvements if you stuck with it until you got a 480+ weapon. Plus 440 isn't even level 90 gear, so the rest of your gear was probably not very good either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/18/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Keten

Heroic...dungeon weapon? 463 isn't that great. You'd see some major improvements if you stuck with it until you got a 480+ weapon. Plus 440 isn't even level 90 gear, so the rest of your gear was probably not very good either.

Stop pointing out flaws in his statement >(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]