when your original idea isnt original

85 Human Paladin
tell me if this has happened to you. you're working on a story or a character bio for RP (or what have you), and the thoughts and ideas are flowing perfectly. then you realize that a significant part of your work is actually identical to another story that you read in a book, saw in a movie, or played in a game.

this happens to me every now and then with quite a few short stories ive come up with. I'm aware no story or character development can be completely original, despite how different the plot and setting might be, but it's still a bit of a discouragement for me as i wouldn't want my hard work to be generally regarded as a rip-off of X.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I realized a while back that my Rogue's personality is disturbingly similar to Wolverine.
Edited by Blazieth on 4/18/2013 11:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."
-C. S. Lewis

I understand the frustration, but I'd encourage you not to worry about it too much. Those critics that would discredit your character as a "rip-off" might have found another error to condemn anyway, or might not be the best players to RP with besides.

I'd suggest considering if the story you came up with possesses things you personally enjoy and are fascinated by, and then look for ways to develop on that further so the details and presentation become more your own.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Happens a lot really. It's a byproduct of the creative process. To counteract that, I just started this character as a "blank slate" kind of deal and just started roleplaying him as I went along. Kind of an experiment on being more immersive. He started early as a typical "soldier in training" sort of guy, and only gone up from there.

It's actually kind of more fun to me that way. Feels more organic and real, and instead of worrying and putting focus on having an interesting or amazing backdrop to his personal history, I can just sort of develop it as I go along.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Yeah I have made three character were in the end I go "Wait that seems a bit like.. oh damn it it is has been done before."
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
il
I once rolled a barbaric, savage female Blood Elf.

Didn't take long before I figured out that I wasn't the first by far.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I tend to see a lot of the same stuff among people's characters. Frankly, I almost began to wonder if anyone else noticed certain things being done to death and mediocrity. Though as already mentioned, it can't truly be helped; at least not entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Drelyn beat me to it with that quote.

Just keep going. If the similarities really start to bother you, try to shake them up a little.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
What your character says and does is as important as his or her background. Your background may be similar to something else or a stereotype but in execution it is your take on that concept.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
tell me if this has happened to you. you're working on a story or a character bio for RP (or what have you), and the thoughts and ideas are flowing perfectly. then you realize that a significant part of your work is actually identical to another story that you read in a book, saw in a movie, or played in a game.

this happens to me every now and then with quite a few short stories ive come up with. I'm aware no story or character development can be completely original, despite how different the plot and setting might be, but it's still a bit of a discouragement for me as i wouldn't want my hard work to be generally regarded as a rip-off of X.

Doesn't discourage me, I roll with it, maybe tweak a few things to add my own flair to it, and relabel my backstory from "original" to "INSPIRED BY X!!!"
Reply Quote
I just go with it. Last night, while RPing this character, I realized that I was basically playing her as some weird lady Draenei version of Ron Swanson so I threw in a quote where appropriate. Originality, to me, isn't very important. It's the fun you have playing the character. Besides, if someone recognizes that your character is similar to another, it's been my experience that they're usually pretty happy to get the reference even if you weren't intending to make one. Just do your thing!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
What I consider original is if you thought of an idea and then found out it had already existed. I say it counts as original because working hard for a good backstory that seems original to you should be original. but that's just my take on it. and on a side note people will always be hating for one stupid reason or another, might as well just care about the people who actually like it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]