Ret DPS, is it really that bad?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok so i heard around that ret dps was terribad, maybe i have not progressed far enough to decide that, but in fights that are not so unfriendly to melee, i have kept a decent 40k-60k on heroics and up to 70-80k in LFR with crappy gear.

Am i talking too early or should i just stop my progression on DPS gear and do some healing?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i dono your a pally why don't you spec ret and find out

You are killing me! Too bad im not mage and can't kill you with fire

BTW dual spec
Edited by Jeodas on 4/3/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It's not "terribad", it's middle-of-the-pack, which isn't bad given that the difference between the middle and the two ends isn't very much. If you like playing as Ret, then by all means continue to do so.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not "terribad", it's middle-of-the-pack, which isn't bad given that the difference between the middle and the two ends isn't very much. If you like playing as Ret, then by all means continue to do so.

That's a modest way to put it,my server is not that great in progression so i do not see many people do that much better than me ( except hunters, those bastards are always topping charts).my only reason to keep playing it its because it just feels good.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
What I have learned about ret is that your rotation and timing has to be really spot in.

The rotation is pretty easy and, from what I understand, it's just about keeping inquisition up and blow cd's at appropriate times.

Our scaling just needs to be a little bit better. Sword of light needs to go to 20% probably, and something like a on hit refresh for Inq (like Rogues envenom keeping up slice and dice)

I think that would have us pushing top places with good gear. Only problem is ret has so much utility that buffing them would mean a nerf to our healing/cc/mobility. Ret seems like a tough class to balance imo
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
04/03/2013 07:15 PMPosted by Dugite
on hit refresh for Inq (like Rogues envenom keeping up slice and dice)

No. Stop perpetuating that crap.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
on hit refresh for Inq (like Rogues envenom keeping up slice and dice)

No. Stop perpetuating that crap.

Just a suggestion, why don't you relax bro. Also I have not posted it before or was aware that it had been a suggested already.
Edited by Dugite on 4/3/2013 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Also I have not posted it before or was aware that it had been a suggested already.

It's a pretty heavily suggested thing around here by your average bad Ret so some people get a bit touchy over it understandably.

Inquisition is meant to be Retributions maintenance buff. Other classes that have mechanics similar to Inquisition with auto refreshes and the like also have other maintenance style abilities on top of their Inquisition type move so it works for them.

Ret doesn't need anything to make Inquisition easier, it's already easy to maintain and extremely powerful making it attractive to do so.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 4/3/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
04/03/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
Also I have not posted it before or was aware that it had been a suggested already.

It's a pretty heavily suggested thing around here by your average bad Ret so some people get a bit touchy over it understandably.

Inquisition is meant to be Retributions maintenance buff. Other classes that have mechanics similar to Inquisition with auto refreshes and the like also have other maintenance style abilities on top of their Inquisition type move so it works for them.

Ret doesn't need anything to make Inquisition easier, it's already easy to maintain and extremely powerful making it attractive to do so.

Gro just picked one thing out of my post. Don't run with it. Merely suggesting how to get a few more % out of ret without any drastic changes. It just needs some tweaking,
I can't pull over 85k in ToT atm and I think i'm being held back by class instead of skill (not that I have a huge amount but you know)
Edited by Dugite on 4/3/2013 8:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@OP

Do you raid bleeding edge? If you do, reroll to another class/spec unless you enjoy playing other games while being constantly sat for raid stacking comps. We do ok on certain fights but there's really no reason to bring us over rogues or DKs (both of which crush us in DPS assuming equal gear and skill + rogue's smokebombs being really useful this tier) if you have a sufficient numbers of Holy Paladins (this tier's best 25m healers) and a Prot Paladin (also this tier's best tank).

If you don't raid bleeding edge, then Ret is fine and you should just play what you like.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Gro just picked one thing out of my post. Don't run with it. Merely suggesting how to get a few more % out of ret without any drastic changes

Removing Inquisition would be a far more drastic change than just upping Sword of Light's damage bonus a bit.

I can't pull over 85k in ToT atm and I think i'm being held back by class instead of skill (not that I have a huge amount but you know)

It could be skill, it could be gear. It's not the class.
Edited by Keten on 4/3/2013 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
04/03/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Dugite
Gro just picked one thing out of my post. Don't run with it.

I was explaining to you why he reacted in the way he did, don't tell me what to post thanks.

04/03/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Dugite
Merely suggesting how to get a few more % out of ret without any drastic changes.

Removing Inquisition, which giving it a refresh mechanic would effectively do, is not a minor change.

It's either gear or you, not the spec.
Reply Quote
1 Pandaren Rogue
like Rogues envenom keeping up slice and dice

Assassination only gets SND refreshing because they have to keep up both rupture and envenom buff, also because it has the lowest CP generation of all rogue specs. Notice how they removed rupture refresh from Subtlety once you weren't required to keep recuperation up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You pull 85k? What the hell am I doing wrong, because that's better than me!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
What the hell am I doing wrong, because that's better than me!

Needs more haste. Below expertise cap. Also, your gemming needs a lot of work. Missing an enchant on gloves, wrong enchant on bracers, wrong enchant on boots, wrong enchant on weapon (this one's forgivable as you may get a weapon out of ToT, so Dancing Steel is better saved).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Needs more haste. Below expertise cap. Also, your gemming needs a lot of work. Missing an enchant on gloves, wrong enchant on bracers, wrong enchant on boots, wrong enchant on weapon (this one's forgivable as you may get a weapon out of ToT, so Dancing Steel is better saved).

Well that was helpful. Thanks! (You're right about the weapon. I'd rather not spend a heap to enchant a weapon I'm likely to replace soon)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/03/2013 10:44 PMPosted by Levictor

Well that was helpful. Thanks! (You're right about the weapon. I'd rather not spend a heap to enchant a weapon I'm likely to replace soon)

The only thing you're likely to do soon is get another fail bag.

:)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
The only thing you're likely to do soon is get another fail bag.

Too true. LOL

But one can always try and hope.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sometimes I wish everyone had my luck with LFR weapons.

Then I remember Gurthalak.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]