Hunter Arena Pet Abuse.

Hunters can have approximately 6 pets DIE in arena, and still be able to call one out after each one dies.

Now i'm not an idiot. I know what stampede is. I know what dismissing a pet is. This is neither of those.

If a hunter's pet DIES. I means has 0% hp and the hunter has casted nothing to dismiss it or anything, the hunter can abandon the pet, meaning it goes away forever, and then call a fresh pet in.

For as long as the hunter stands in a zone where he can re-tame pets imbetween que's this will work indefinitely and it's really effing overpowered. Fix this. Hunter's don't need infinite pets it's unfair. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
That is....actually a legit concern, in a sick, horrible kind of way. I can just imagine some hunter littering the arena floor with the corpses of raptors named raptor and cats named cat all day, then returning to a starting zone to collect new sacrifices.

I agree this should be fixed, not to stop your dirty crybaby mage tears, but in the interest of all the poor NPCs being hurled into the path of your hateful fireballs without so much as a name to put on its tombstone.

I wonder if they make the pets play russian roulette to see which one has to use the HoTP cooldown and die TWICE for the hunters amusement. This is a sick world.
Edited by Lince on 4/4/2013 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
The idea that hunters could do that or would even think about doing that would never have crossed my mind. Ever. It just doesn't make sense to me that people would do that. I could see warlocks doing that if they were capable of getting rid of their demons but hunters? I know it's just a game and all and they are just pixels with badly scripted ai but still! It just seems wrong to me...
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
Blizzard increased the cast time of dismiss pet to discourage hunters from swapping pets in PvP combat... but none of the brilliant designers ever got the idea to disable abandon pet during combat...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Actually im pretty sure the hunter dev team new that and kept quiet till the mage devs start to cry about it....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Those poor pets, I couldn't do that. Reason being I like to have my mixed variety of pets for certain comps and not have to waste time to go tame them again. But its clever that they found a way to reup their dps if a pet ever died. For me, hope that they don't trinket out of ice trap while trying to rez my pet :/
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Who waits for them to die?! You abandon that crane or whatever once you've used it's CD's and summon a new one out ;p
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
If a hunter has a pet die more than twice in arena there's something wrong. First time, if it's ferocity, you use HoTP, but then you pay attention to your pet and don't let it happen.

Also, not sure about other hunters, but I am attached to my pets. I wouldn't dream of abandoning them for the sake of skipping a few secs to raise pet.

I acknowledge that this may be an exploit, but one that I would never use, and I'm sure most other hunters wouldn't either.

I pity the hunter that resorts to this sort of behaviour. He should park his hunter up and roll another class, and stop tarnishing our honour.
Reply Quote
62 Worgen Warrior
That is....actually a legit concern, in a sick, horrible kind of way. I can just imagine some hunter littering the arena floor with the corpses of raptors named raptor and cats named cat all day, then returning to a starting zone to collect new sacrifices

I....I feel sick...I think I need to lie down.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
6 pets plus more? are you actualy killing the dire beast the hunter summons that lasts for 15 seconds and can be summoned once every 30 seconds? Now, abandoning pet trick has been used for arena even before the dismiss pet nerf, and it is a tactic that I dislike imensly. Its not that they are skipping seconds to rez the pet, its that they are countering players killing their pets in arena so as to get a new pet out fresh, as you can abandon a pet while its dead, and then summon a new one as you no longer have an active pet. This also lets you get passed cool downs, leting you cc and chain roar of sacrifice back to back to back.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Hunters can have approximately 6 pets DIE in arena

04/04/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Mikeyx
Now i'm not an idiot.

Um, hunters can only have 5 pets at a time...so yeah you are /zing!

...I kid +)

The hunter counter point is that it is significantly easier to kill a hunter pet, than it is to revive a pet, unlike Locks who have a 2 min CD for an instant rez (I think its 2), or Mages (1 min), or DKs (30 sec). Our instant rez is on a 8 min CD.

As someone who plays a non-hunter, what are your thoughts on allowing a hunter to dismiss a deceased pet, allowing a hunter to call his other 4 pets. Of course, pet abandonment would then be disabled in arena's/BGs.

Edit: I should be clear, this is a "creative use of game mechanics" that is just shy of being an exploit, in my opinion (mostly because it is not really bypassing loop holes, it is just taking advantage of the system as is, even though it is clearly not intended behavior).
Edited by Verdash on 4/5/2013 5:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
To me it seems a legit strategy. It's a known tactic and if they wanted to stop it they would have done so already.

It seems crazy to me that we can use a pet ability, abandon the pet, call another identical one and re-use the same ability. The cooldown should carry over to a pet of the same family. OR simply disable the ability to abandon in arena.

HOWEVER, if they do remove it then hunters should be compensated in some other way.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Called it. I told you all during the 5.2 PTR that the Dismiss Pet nerf was going to encourage and exacerbate this situation.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
HOWEVER, if they do remove it then hunters should be compensated in some other way.

Like:

1) Dismiss Pet works on dead pets
2) Pet ability CDs are shared across all pets, said cooldowns/effects are rebalanced under the consideration that the CDs can't be cheated (i.e. Pummel has a 20 sec CD for MM/SV, 14 sec CD for BM, lasts 4 seconds)
3) HotP still shared across all pets, but it isn't specific to pet specialization, and maybe has a slightly less CD (i.e. 4 mins, considering #1, might be more appropriate)
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Called it. I told you all during the 5.2 PTR that the Dismiss Pet nerf was going to encourage and exacerbate this situation.

I think pretty much anyone with half a brain (and maybe even the Scarecrow) has this figured out, so long as they knew this was a thing people did.

This should never have been allowed to go on so long in the first place -- I'd like to see it removed, and Dismiss Pet dropped back to two seconds. Three seconds is long enough to be kinda painful even for just swapping pets out-of-combat, let alone mid-combat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If a hunter has a pet die more than twice in arena there's something wrong. First time, if it's ferocity, you use HoTP, but then you pay attention to your pet and don't let it happen.

Also, not sure about other hunters, but I am attached to my pets. I wouldn't dream of abandoning them for the sake of skipping a few secs to raise pet.

I acknowledge that this may be an exploit, but one that I would never use, and I'm sure most other hunters wouldn't either.

I pity the hunter that resorts to this sort of behaviour. He should park his hunter up and roll another class, and stop tarnishing our honour.

For sentimental purposes the hunter could easily put all of his real pets in the stable, and then quickly assemble a roster of wild animal fodder for arenas from whatever his chosen taming spot is.
Reply Quote
87 Human Death Knight
Hunters can have approximately 6 pets DIE in arena, and still be able to call one out after each one dies.

Now i'm not an idiot. I know what stampede is. I know what dismissing a pet is. This is neither of those.

If a hunter's pet DIES. I means has 0% hp and the hunter has casted nothing to dismiss it or anything, the hunter can abandon the pet, meaning it goes away forever, and then call a fresh pet in.

For as long as the hunter stands in a zone where he can re-tame pets imbetween que's this will work indefinitely and it's really effing overpowered. Fix this. Hunter's don't need infinite pets it's unfair. Thank you.

If a Hunter's pet dies, Hunter becomes almost useless, especially as BM. Yes he/she can just abandon it and call a new one, but only has 5. Anyone with the IQ of a child can Frost Bomb -> Global it.

They actually need to buff pet resilience, or have them take less damage.

Mage complaining in Hunter forum, why?
Edited by Scarabx on 4/9/2013 5:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Dismiss pet has to damn long of a cast. Make the cast shorter and you will see "less" ppl abandoning pets.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Hunters abandoning their pets and dire beast is what im sure you are encountering.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
Dismiss pet has to damn long of a cast. Make the cast shorter and you will see "less" ppl abandoning pets.

It WAS shorter. People were bringing multiple monkey's to arenas , blinding someone, dismissing, summong a fresh new monkey and doing it again. This is why they increased dismiss pet time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]