Non Spirit Plate?

90 Human Paladin
I love spirit. But I have noticed that this tier there are quite a few non spirit plate items out there.

For example I am wearing Sollerets of Instability & got Vaultwalker Sabatons. It is a nice upgrade ilvl wise, int wise, & mastery. But even reforged a huge hit in spirit (even more so because of the socket loss). But then I am also looking ahead at the shado-pan assault legs & hands which i could buy and they both are lacking spirit as well. So it might really take me down alot of spirit there?

My biggest question is if there is a break point where I should be comfortable with my spirit at?

*I raid 10 man normals only have killed the first boss in ToT so far...usually 2 heal. I don't have huge mana issues but on horridon when we 3 healed it I was oom by the third door hard core.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sitting at over 11k spirit and I've found that to be pretty good for me, actually I think I went a little overboard. 10-11k is good I think. Wherever you're comfortable. If you find yourself going OOM you might want to get more spirit, maybe change gems or enchant for spirit.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
My biggest question is if there is a break point where I should be comfortable with my spirit at?

Breakpoint is where you're comfortable.

Horridon is a strange fight for mana. If your DPS are doing their job well on the first two doors, healing is easy. If interrupts aren't happening, or the moonfire spamming mobs on the first door are staying alive, then that fight is a damn mana sponge that will leave you praying for mana on the 3rd door.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I find that I can do fairly adequate healing on the first 3 bosses with my current Spirit (9307), but I don't think I would recommend it.

I generally think you should look at non-Spirit upgrades carefully to see what you're losing. For that specific upgrade: You're losing 496 Spirit and 4 Mastery in total (assuming you used a Spirit/Mastery gem) and gaining 236 Intellect and some useless Haste. So basically, you're doing a slightly worse than 2:1 trade of Spirit for Intellect - that's the equivalent of gemming Int. If you wouldn't gem pure Int in a blue socket, you shouldn't wear those boots.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
04/09/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Kaelestia
I love spirit. But I have noticed that this tier there are quite a few non spirit plate items out there.

I'm going to say that its because Holy Paladins have been crying for better ways to do dailies while holy, what better way to "help" them out. However, for for every piece with no spirit, there is another with spirit waiting for us.

Horridon is a strange fight for mana. If your DPS are doing their job well on the first two doors, healing is easy. If interrupts aren't happening, or the moonfire spamming mobs on the first door are staying alive, then that fight is a damn mana sponge that will leave you praying for mana on the 3rd door.

So glad I'm not the only one. That fight makes me wanna rage. Tonight we are trying it on heroic and I swear I'm going to end up crying before the nights out. (Ya, I'm a baby like that)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Horridon is not a pally friendly fight (look at the logs where the top ten performers are all disc priests). That said, spirit is going to be a comfort thing.

My personal opinion is never lose out on a socket bonus. It's just cutting your own throat. A purple/green gem will net you more in the long run than a straight blue. Keep in mind you get power healing from Red, and better Mastery (which saves you mana) from Yellow, so you won't lose too much. Getting that extra 60-180~ Int (or 60 spirit) is going to add up over 4-5 slots. Honestly, I'm finding that straight Red gems just aren't worth it (preferring Orange)

As we get deeper into content, I've found I need more Spirit. That's on top of using activated mana regeneration sources and procs. I'm comfortable now, but I definitely see where I won't be soon.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
04/10/2013 10:46 AMPosted by Deadsecsi
Horridon is not a pally friendly fight (look at the logs where the top ten performers are all disc priests). That said, spirit is going to be a comfort thing.

That has less to do with Pallies, and more to do with the fact that the major damage in the fight is on a 1 minute CD.
Reply Quote

My personal opinion is never lose out on a socket bonus. It's just cutting your own throat. A purple/green gem will net you more in the long run than a straight blue. Keep in mind you get power healing from Red, and better Mastery (which saves you mana) from Yellow, so you won't lose too much. Getting that extra 60-180~ Int (or 60 spirit) is going to add up over 4-5 slots. Honestly, I'm finding that straight Red gems just aren't worth it (preferring Orange)

As we get deeper into content, I've found I need more Spirit. That's on top of using activated mana regeneration sources and procs. I'm comfortable now, but I definitely see where I won't be soon.

Paladins can dispel diseases and poison, which already IMO makes them quite a strong pick.
Damage on horridon, when properly done, should not be much. The moment stuff gets out of control is when everything goes to hell.
Sounds to me that door 2 is not being done right. There should be 1-2 stacks of the poison, 2 should be the max.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't worry about what top heals are putting out, do the mechanics and dispel. Mechanics>recount you can't rank if your raid is dead.

Tell your dps to self cleanse if they can. Almost all classes have a way, this will help on heroic.

Also it's rather easy to stay in melee range to get some mana back on alot of fights. Learn the fight and figure out when to use your mana.
Edited by Gaudrik on 4/10/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
For those specific boots... you are trading Spirit for Haste and losing a socket.
Not a great trade even with the 20ilvl boost. (I don't like haste on my pally)

If it was crit (free healing boost) I would take the ilvl increase. But not for haste.

Since you haven't purchased the trinket yet I'd get that and replace your N-SotS.

You might want to keep trying to get t14 chest/gloves/helm (get 4pc somehow). You'd only lose 26 total ilvls, but getting that 4pc (-2 sec off HS CD), is worth it. Especially when it comes to mana savings.

If you are struggling on horridon with mana then your dps are most likely not attacking the "champions" (wastewalkers, venom priests, etc) properly, aka killing them first instead of just AoEing or killing other things fight. In a perfect world you can kill / interrupt all priests and their spawns and have 0 poison dispels to do. As a shaman I usually interrupt the ghosty priest spawns since we have the interrupts handled the venom priests.
Edited by Pitkanen on 4/10/2013 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Horridon is not a pally friendly fight (look at the logs where the top ten performers are all disc priests).

That's because Atonement is OP (it gets the damage multiplier from Horridon). Take out the Atonement priests from the table to get a better idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]