BM Helpless in To The Skies Scenario

100 Night Elf Hunter
In this Isle of Thunder solo scenario, you're on dragonback and are intercepted by 1, 2, and then 3 bad guys also on dragonback. You have to jump to each dragon and fight them .. without your pet of course. This means a Beastmaster is doomed. Despite good gear, I can defeat 1, even 2 of them .. but never all three. Yet others say they manage .. but as other talents, not BM. I can't do it as my alt specialization (Marksman) either. Suggestions?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Is this the stage 4 scenario?

You don't have to jump to them, you can range them down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm pretty sure my pet was present during that part I might be wrong its been a little while. But I've done it pretty easy even on my ele shammy and I suck at dps on my shammy because she's mainly a healer. I guess all I can offer is Serpent sting, spam your arcane shot, keep poison up via cobra shot. I believe that's all I did to get through. Also if you don't have Exhiliration I would suggest using it for this instance as a nice burst healing to bring you back up if you're getting into the danger zone.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Despite good gear
???
I hope you mean on your other hunter?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I stomped the everliving crap out of them , but that one of the reasons I play BM hunter. Got some huntard crap in a dungeon last week , when i accidentally shot and pulled two baddies the "Blessed Holy Tank" didn't pull and they all just stood and talked trash . So out comes GhostCrawler and I/we tanked the next boss for him ... Helpless no
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Your pet is not present and, unless you significantly outgear the scenario, it's very difficult to complete as BM. Switch to survival or mm and it's easy.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Really???

I did it on my undergeaered Blood DK and had no issues. It takes a little longer, but it's doable. Are you trying to say you can't out DPS a Blood DK????
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Really???

I did it on my undergeaered Blood DK and had no issues. It takes a little longer, but it's doable. Are you trying to say you can't out DPS a Blood DK????

A BM hunter who does not have a pet loses ~50% of his total damage output (this is not the same thing as the pet does 50% of the damage, BM has a ton of interaction between player and pet for damage). Not only that, but as a hunter, a lot of your mitigation in comes from the ability to kite, which you can't in this encounter, or your pet tanking, which doesn't happen in this encounter, and failing that, team mate support, which you are solo.

Removing the ability to kite, or pet tank, and forcing you to go solo significantly cripples a BM hunter, most likely more so than any other spec in the game. So...try not to act surprised that the arguably best soloing spec in the game can perform better than a petless BM hunter, m'kay?
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
I did it as BM and yeah, my health went down to 85% and yeah, they died slow... but I was ok. Compare your gear to mine. My ret paladin has gear similar to yours and has issues. This gal? None. your gear isn't good (it's marginal at best), and it is holding you back.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
04/10/2013 04:31 AMPosted by Verdash
A BM hunter who does not have a pet loses ~50% of his total damage output

It's somewhat lower than 50% (though still reasonably high -- probably 30-35%). The extra Arcane Shots instead of Kill Commands are substantial enough to come very close to making up for the loss of Kill Command, meaning the biggest losses are the pet's melee and basic attack.

And if you really have that much trouble, just use your offspec.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

It's somewhat lower than 50% (though still reasonably high -- probably 30-35%). The extra Arcane Shots instead of Kill Commands are substantial enough to come very close to making up for the loss of Kill Command, meaning the biggest losses are the pet's melee and basic attack.

Its not just Kill Command, Basic Attacks and Pet Auto Attack.

You lose out on
- Invigoration (Focus Proc)
- Go for the Throat (Pet Focus proc which leads to pet damage)
- Beast Cleave (AOE only issue)
- Frenzy/Focus Fire (Ranged/Pet Haste & Pet Focus)
- Bestial Wrath/TBW (Damage CD)
- Cobra Strikes (Buffed Basic Attack proc from Arcane Shots)
- Mastery Stats
- Technically Stampede as well

It is probably fairly close to a 50% hit honestly.

Edit: To Reiterate, I still managed to do it as BM, but I was essentially done with T14 LFR, and had a few T14 Normal pieces (upgraded) as well.
Edited by Verdash on 4/10/2013 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Hunter
It takes longer - so what? I understand that it is annoying that we can't even KC the darn things, but it's doable.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
In this Isle of Thunder solo scenario, you're on dragonback and are intercepted by 1, 2, and then 3 bad guys also on dragonback. You have to jump to each dragon and fight them .. without your pet of course. This means a Beastmaster is doomed. Despite good gear, I can defeat 1, even 2 of them .. but never all three. Yet others say they manage .. but as other talents, not BM. I can't do it as my alt specialization (Marksman) either. Suggestions?

You have a 445 Ilvl. Wouldn't call that geared.
Furthermore, I would..suggest not jumping, use aspect of the iron hawk, I would probally go fevor over ToTH for that, and umm, barrage is pretty bad.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Yeah, I tried it as IL 442 BM and couldn't even come close. That's what I get for trying to skip content! Time to gear up. This is basically meant for people who geared in the prior MoP heroics and raids, eh?
Edited by Zanrul on 4/12/2013 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
and thats why you have a secondary spec..
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I just ranged em down. Use Spirit Bond with Animal bond glyph and you can do it. In between fights I regenerated the health back to the point where when I was done I still had lots of health. I also keep heal pots on me for stuff like this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I had literally no issues and i did it as BM aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
04/10/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Yuyn

Its worth noting that arcane shot loses a huge amount of its worth when the pet isn't active because you can't consume cobra strikes procs generated from it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]