High Elves of Dalaran

There's at least one half elf in Honor Hold, Arator the Redeemer, Turalyon and Alleria's son.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Presumably a half elf would be more resistant to fel taint thanks to the human heritage. Humans appear to have a higher tolerance for it.

I'm not turning green, anyways.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
I should also point out that the blood elves of outland settled primarily in very heavily fel-tainted areas: Hellfire Peninsula, Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley. The high elves of Allerian Stronghold were in Terokkar, which (save for Auchindoun) is relatively unscathed.

Firewings of Terokkar, plus the Bonechewer fel orcs, live in Terokkar.

I'm not turning green, anyways.

No, we Warlocks turn purple because we use non-Legion magics. If we drew our power straight from the legion we would turn green.
Edited by Ximothy on 4/13/2013 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like purple.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Firewings of Terokkar, plus the Bonechewer fel orcs, live in Terokkar.

Fel orcs don't become fel orcs by being around fel magic, they have to be injected with the blood of a demon. All of the Illidari fel orcs are manufactured in Hellfire Citadel and then presumably stationed elsewhere. Furthermore, we have no reason to believe the firewings have been in Terokkar for a long period of time- they could have easily come from HFP or SMV.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
04/13/2013 11:37 PMPosted by Omacron
Fel orcs don't become fel orcs by being around fel magic, they have to be injected with the blood of a demon.

True enough.

Furthermore, we have no reason to believe the firewings have been in Terokkar for a long period of time- they could have easily come from HFP or SMV.

Well, Falcon watch in Hellfire was founded very recently, and they are the only blood elves in Hellfire so they weren't there because of the fel energies there.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/13/2013 11:40 PMPosted by Ximothy
Fel orcs don't become fel orcs by being around fel magic, they have to be injected with the blood of a demon.

True enough.

Furthermore, we have no reason to believe the firewings have been in Terokkar for a long period of time- they could have easily come from HFP or SMV.

Well, Falcon watch in Hellfire was founded very recently, and they are the only blood elves in Hellfire so they weren't there because of the fel energies there.

The heart of Blood Elf settlement is SMV, AKA "the place that's so fel tainted that molten lava turns green".

Consider, though, that the elves in Outland followed Kael'thas and directly interacted with Illidan: they probably ALL sucked down fel magic willingly. It's the ones in Quel'thalas who probably just got it from ambient exposure.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
Consider, though, that the elves in Outland followed Kael'thas and directly interacted with Illidan: they probably ALL sucked down fel magic willingly. It's the ones in Quel'thalas who probably just got it from ambient exposure.

It was confirmed to be true, wasn't it? Most blood elves were green eyed because they were near those that did.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

What about those huge fel crystals from which Theron demanded his people had to feed? Save for the High Elves, we could assume most of them sucked some fel at some point.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
What about those huge fel crystals from which Theron demanded his people had to feed? Save for the High Elves, we could assume most of them sucked some fel at some point.

Those were always around, the High elves used Mana worms as guardians during the Scourge invasion.
''The Burning Crystals - the green floating objects to the west of the Sunspire here - have long been used to power the isle's experimentations. The mana wyrms were their guardians, but the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas has driven them errant from our lack of magical control over them.''

Plus, the Blood elves of Azeroth were not only feeding off of fel, they also used arcane such as arcane creatures, but beign around blood elves who use fel tainted them.
''The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green.''

Plus the old WoW Encyclopedia says that the Azeroth Blood elves didn't drain demons or other more fel infused things.
Reply Quote
A lot of really good discussion in here, this is what I want to talk about first and foremost

04/13/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Osiria
To begin with, we can assume all Elves from Dalaran were banished during Garithos command. It would be quite awkward if some Elves were still around after what he did with the rest of them.

This is amazing! I didn't even think about this, though I have to wonder just how the events went down.

I'm assuming it went something along the lines of

-Garithos recaptures city from Scourge
-Kael offers Aid
-Garithos confines Kael and his entourage for conspiring with naga
  • Right Here I have to stop, because at this point, what constituted Kael's entourage? Was it just those that were with Kael that Garithos himself arrested, or did he lump in all the elves that came back to the city after it had been reclaimed.
  • -Kael escapes with the help of Vashj
    -Kael and Vashj escape into Outland

So at this point, we have the High Elves return to Dalaran that hid themselves underneath the bubble with the rest of the citizens until it showed back up in Wrath of the Lich King.

Did they come back after Garithos left the area, and didn't fall sway to the racial hatred for the alliance becuase Dalaran was their home? I feel like I missed a big part of the story.
    Edited by Seebach on 4/14/2013 10:44 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Mage
    To my knowledge we have nothing to suggest that any high elf was ever banished from Dalaran due to any events related to Garithos' presence there. He never had a problem with high elves as a species, but with rather with blood elves as a philosophical/political group. Remember that everyone Garithos arrested was an elf who had just recently fled Quel'thalas with Kael'thas.

When he arrested Kael'thas for disobeying his orders he didn't arrest anyone with pointy ears. He specifically arrested anyone who was loyal to Kael'thas. Those would be the people who joined Kael'thas in disobeying the orders of their commanding officer.

High elves

didn't fall sway to the racial hatred for the alliance

because they never confused "traitorous soldiers in an Alliance army" with "anyone who has pointy ears."
    Edited by Imperon on 4/14/2013 3:55 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Priest
    To my knowledge we have nothing to suggest that any high elf was ever banished from Dalaran due to any events related to Garithos' presence there. He never had a problem with high elves as a species, but with rather with blood elves as a philosophical/political group. Remember that everyone Garithos arrested was an elf who had just recently fled Quel'thalas with Kael'thas.When he arrested Kael'thas for disobeying his orders he didn't arrest anyone with pointy ears. He specifically arrested anyone who was loyal to Kael'thas. Those would be the people who joined Kael'thas in disobeying the orders of their commanding officer.High elves

This leads to the question of why didn't anyone in Dalaran speak up on the behalf of Kael'thas after they were imprisoned in Dalaran. This was before the fel taint and mana syphoning. I can see why Rommath didn't want to help Dalaran in the event leading up to Wrath.

Another thing, Lor'themar story takes place between BC and Wrath. Blood Elves didn't receive a Cata story with the rest of the leaders, so Blood Elf/High Elf relations were improving until the incident.
    @ whoever said that they weren't.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Mage
    This leads to the question of why didn't anyone in Dalaran speak up on the behalf of Kael'thas after they were imprisoned in Dalaran. This was before the fel taint and mana syphoning. I can see why Rommath didn't want to help Dalaran in the event leading up to Wrath.

Kael'thas' eyes were green while he was under Garithos' command, if I'm recalling correctly. Granted, it's been years since I played Warcraft 3. That being said, the citizens of Dalaran - even the elven ones - no doubt regarded Kael'thas and his followers the same way Garithos' did: faithless dogs who deserved everything they were about to get.

I do not think that being elven was going to make the elves of Dalaran forget that it was Kael'thas' family and his people who sealed the gates of Quel'thalas and hid behind them while the Scourge ravaged both Lordaeron and Dalaran.

It was only because Garithos could see past his own hatred of Quel'thalas that he gave Kael'thas a chance to prove himself. Kael'thas failed and endangered the Alliance's efforts in Lordaeron and Dalaran when he did so.

You really think they were going to side with him over the man who'd retaken their city and was actively pushing the Scourge back on every front? Fat chance. Garithos may have been seen as a bastard by the elves of Dalaran, but after he freed their home from the Scourge then by the Light he was their bastard.
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Paladin
    04/15/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Imperon

Kael'thas' eyes were green while he was under Garithos' command, if I'm recalling correctly. Granted, it's been years since I played Warcraft 3. That being said, the citizens of Dalaran - even the elven ones - no doubt regarded Kael'thas and his followers the same way Garithos' did: faithless dogs who deserved everything they were about to get.

I do not think that being elven was going to make the elves of Dalaran forget that it was Kael'thas' family and his people who sealed the gates of Quel'thalas and hid behind them while the Scourge ravaged both Lordaeron and Dalaran.

It was only because Garithos could see past his own hatred of Quel'thalas that he gave Kael'thas a chance to prove himself. Kael'thas failed and endangered the Alliance's efforts in Lordaeron and Dalaran when he did so.

You really think they were going to side with him over the man who'd retaken their city and was actively pushing the Scourge back on every front? Fat chance. Garithos may have been seen as a bastard by the elves of Dalaran, but after he freed their home from the Scourge then by the Light he was their bastard.

That's...quite the spin on those events.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid
    04/15/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Imperon
    Kael'thas' eyes were green while he was under Garithos' command, if I'm recalling correctly.

You're not. Kael had white eyes (source: http://www.wowpedia.org/images/5/59/KaelWar3.jpg) throughout the entire campaign, even after he started sucking fel magic. The notion of blood elves having glowing green eyes (and high elves having glowing blue eyes) did not come about until TBC.

To be perfectly fair, Kael was also a member of the Six, as others have pointed out: so at the very least prior to the Scourge Invasion he must have had significant support in Dalaran.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Mage
    You're not. Kael had white eyes (source: http://www.wowpedia.org/images/5/59/KaelWar3.jpg) throughout the entire campaign, even after he started sucking fel magic.

Ah ha! I told you it's been years since I played Warcraft 3.

prior to the Scourge Invasion

This is key. Why would the people of Dalaran - regardless of race - have anything but loathing for the elves of Quel'thalas after the Scourge invasion? I can't see a reason, honestly. Quel'thalas was happy to let Lordaeron (and Dalaran, and Stromgarde and...well you get the idea) burn and suffer so long as there was safety for those in Quel'thalas. This is the same attitude they had during the second war as well.

I think by the time Kael'thas shows up in their dungeons, the people of Dalaran had exhausted any sympathy they may have once had for the plight of Quel'thalas.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid
    04/15/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Imperon
    You're not. Kael had white eyes (source: http://www.wowpedia.org/images/5/59/KaelWar3.jpg) throughout the entire campaign, even after he started sucking fel magic.

Ah ha! I told you it's been years since I played Warcraft 3.

prior to the Scourge Invasion

This is key. Why would the people of Dalaran - regardless of race - have anything but loathing for the elves of Quel'thalas after the Scourge invasion? I can't see a reason, honestly. Quel'thalas was happy to let Lordaeron (and Dalaran, and Stromgarde and...well you get the idea) burn and suffer so long as there was safety for those in Quel'thalas. This is the same attitude they had during the second war as well.

I think by the time Kael'thas shows up in their dungeons, the people of Dalaran had exhausted any sympathy they may have once had for the plight of Quel'thalas.

Quel'thalas was no longer part of the Alliance (nor was Stromgarde) at the time. They had no obligation to come to the aid of Dalaran. Furthermore, Quel'thalas was destroyed before Dalaran- Archimonde was only summoned after Arthas raised Kel'thuzad in the Sunwell.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Death Knight
    The variable people aren't considering herein is nationalism, which as we have seen from real-world history can take on numerous forms and magnitudes.

It's perfectly reasonable to suspect that many groupings of elves, regardless of the many slights of the wars and having lived outside the core holdings of their kingdom for a prolonged period, would have either grown apart from their social/cultural/economical ties to their kingdom or else willingly associated themselves with third-party local, regional and national entities.

To expect that all elves were loyal to a solitary authority, prior to some schismatic event that was close to being farcical, is somewhat naive. Their spectrum of politics is very likely dynamic, even if neither game nor book can fully establish this as a basic truth. The brief version:

--A majority of elves placed most of their loyalties with Quel'thalas.
    --A minority of elves placed most of their loyalties with Dalaran.
    --A minority of elves might have placed most of their loyalties with Lordaeron.
    --A minority of elves might have placed most of their loyalties with none of the above.

Quel'thalas was no longer part of the Alliance (nor was Stromgarde) at the time. They had no obligation to come to the aid of Dalaran. Furthermore, Quel'thalas was destroyed before Dalaran- Archimonde was only summoned after Arthas raised Kel'thuzad in the Sunwell.

This is all well and good, to be sure, but for an elf that spent perhaps 5% of their considerable lifetime in Quel'thalas and the other 95% in Dalaran there isn't really a reason to side with the former over the latter. This goes both ways and is perfectly understandable in both cases.
    Edited by Fyorsing on 4/15/2013 2:20 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Shaman
    To my knowledge we have nothing to suggest that any high elf was ever banished from Dalaran due to any events related to Garithos' presence there. He never had a problem with high elves as a species, but with rather with blood elves as a philosophical/political group. Remember that everyone Garithos arrested was an elf who had just recently fled Quel'thalas with Kael'thas.

No he didnt. He hated all High Elves because in the effort to save Quel'thalas during the second war his home was razed. He blamed the HEs for it. Garithos hated all elves.

I might add that Rommath was a long time resident of Dalaran prior to joining up with the Sunfury. Still the reason the HEs in Dalaran might have been left alone was simply Garithos had no legal avenue to harm them. The Sunfury he could exicute to a man, sighting it as military justice for disobeying orders during peace time.

In short he was an !@# who saw an excuse to kill elves without getting in trouble for it and took it.

Do remember that Kael'thas hadn't changed any particular philosophy of the HEs at that point. The Mana tapping and use of Fel energy came after. Hell, from Shadow of the Sun, its clear many HEs expected Kael'thas to come back and take their side in their contentions with Lor'themar.

Being a Blood Elf at that time simply meant you had changed the name of your race out of respect to those who had died in the Scourge invasion.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]