Rob Pardo back as Lead Designer for Expac #5.

(Locked)

90 Goblin Shaman
I am feeling really good about expansion 5.

For those that don't know, Rob Pardo was the Lead Designer for WoW'nilla and The Burning Crusade. I think we're about to reach WoW's golden-age with expansion 5.

WotLK was the golden age.

The last two expansions (Cataclysm and MoP) included several attempt to go back to TBC model and failed miserably.
90 Undead Priest

For those that don't know, Rob Pardo was the Lead Designer for WoW'nilla and The Burning Crusade. I think we're about to reach WoW's golden-age with expansion 5.

The last two expansions (Cataclysm and MoP) included several attempt to go back to TBC model and failed miserably.

While I personally agree that Wrath was the golden age. I am curious if you could expand upon your assertion that Cataclysm and MoP have been attempts to return to TBC model and that it is because of this that they have not rendered a markedly positive impact on the game's development.
Edited by Sanctinius on 4/17/2013 4:33 PM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman

While I personally agree that Wrath was the golden age. I am curious if you could expand upon your assertion that Cataclysm and MoP have been attempts to return to TBC model and that it is because of this that they have not rendered a markedly positive impact on the game's development.

Cataclysm was an attempt to go back to the TBC dungeon difficulty, which was the main reason why it bled subs like crazy.

MoP has been an attempt to go back to the tierred raiding progression model, which caused half the raiders to stop raiding in just one tier time (and i bet they are losing subs, they lost the same amount that Cata did in the first quarter).
90 Pandaren Monk
I said this earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again

NO keys, NO attunements, and for the love of all that is holy NO GRINDING FOR FIRE RESIST GEAR!
90 Human Paladin
they lost the same amount that Cata did in the first quarter

This is completely incorrect, especially when you consider the MoP release was the first time both China and the rest of the world got an expansion at about the same time.
90 Goblin Shaman
I said this earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again

NO keys, NO attunements, and for the love of all that is holy NO GRINDING FOR FIRE RESIST GEAR!

The methods are different, but the design is the same, tiered raiding, no effective catch up mechanism, and thy said themselves that their intent is to go back to TBC model where people couldnt skip raiding tiers.
90 Goblin Shaman
04/17/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Osmeric
they lost the same amount that Cata did in the first quarter

This is completely incorrect, especially when you consider the MoP release was the first time both China and the rest of the world got an expansion at about the same time.

Its irrelevant. In the first quarter since both expansions were launched, they both lost the same amount of subs.

I bet they have lost more in the second one. And many of us that still play dont particularly like this model either.
Gratz to Rob Pardo, and best of luck to him.
90 Undead Priest

Cataclysm was an attempt to go back to the TBC dungeon difficulty, which was the main reason why it bled subs like crazy.

MoP has been an attempt to go back to the tierred raiding progression model, which caused half the raiders to stop raiding in just one tier time (and i bet they are losing subs, they lost the same amount that Cata did in the first quarter).

I see. Thank you for clarifying.
90 Human Paladin
04/17/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Shamanhusein

Its irrelevant. In the first quarter since both expansions were launched, they both lost the same amount of subs.

No, it is relevant. Cataclysm released TWICE, once in "the west", and once in China.

MoP released ONCE, in both.

Comparing the Catclysm post-release decline in the west, to the MoP decline in the entire world, is either idiotic or dishonest. I'll let you figure out which of those two words applies in your case.
86 Worgen Druid

How can you be so sure? The game had also been out for a long time at that point; why can't the main reason for sub loss be the fact that people just get tired of playing the same game for years on end?
90 Goblin Shaman

How can you be so sure? The game had also been out for a long time at that point; why can't the main reason for sub loss be the fact that people just get tired of playing the same game for years on end?

Because of how Blizzard reacted after that and because of the fact that the quarter where Firelands got the huge nerf they only lost 100k and the quarter where they launched the easy DS with the eaier heroics they lost 0 subs. IN all the rest of the quarters they lost 500k or more.
90 Dwarf Rogue

Actually I felt Wrath was more like an extension of BC, from 5-mans to 10-mans to tokens for gear.

Cata was when it was starting to feel like same old, same old with the mob health and damage scaled up. I think people tried to find different outlets like in alts but it didn't last for long and they unsubbed.

MoP is a decent xpac but it does feel like Cata in the sense that we've seen it all before. Cata left its mark and changed how many people see the game. If MoP or something like it had been released instead of Cata, the sub numbers might have continued to go much higher before gradually (and inevitably) falling.
Edited by Notagin on 4/17/2013 6:42 PM PDT
90 Orc Death Knight

This explains why WoW took a nosedive after TBC, I really liked the layout of TBC back in the day so hope the desire to follow that path will stay true otherwise its going to be Padawans instead of Pandas for every one.
90 Goblin Shaman

Actually I felt Wrath was more like an extension of BC, from 5-mans to 10-mans to tokens for gear.

Cata was when it was starting to feel like same old, same old with the mob health and damage scaled up. I think people tried to find different outlets like in alts but it didn't last for long and they unsubbed.

MoP is a decent xpac but it does feel like Cata in the sense that we've seen it all before. Cata left its mark and changed how many people see the game. If MoP or something like it had been released instead of Cata, the sub numbers might have continued to go much higher before gradually (and inevitably) falling.

I think the big problem in Cata and MoP was and is catering to those asking for harder content.

Cataclysm dungeons drove away a lot of people, and MoP grinds and hard raids made around half the raiders to stop raiding.

The fact that MoP doesnt have catch up mechanism for those that couldnt complete the overtuned tier 14 only made it worse.

Blizzard needs to go back to the golden age of WotLK, make normal raiding accesible for raiders, provide catch up mechanism and develop new dungeons and raids.

The problem with Cata wasnt catch up dungeons, nor tabards, nor anything like that.
The problem with Cata was that IT HAD LITTLE AMOUNT OF CONTENT (probably due to the huge amount of resources used to revamp old world) and the content it had was badly tuned or was just low quality.

Tabards and catch up dungeons worked great in the best expansion WoW had, so they were clearly not the problem.
90 Orc Hunter
It's good to learn Rob Pardo will be back. Having already contributed so much to WoW, both good and bad, I am sure he has some really neat ideas he's ready to explore. Can't wait. :)
90 Gnome Mage
Actually, I like Wrath best.
86 Blood Elf Warrior

Uh... it was Jeff Kaplan not Rob Pardo..

Tigole = Jeff Kaplan
90 Tauren Shaman
What's happening to Ghostcrawler?

Greg is the lead systems designer, not the lead game designer.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]