Monk or Druid healer?

70 Human Rogue
The only healer ive played is a shaman and im really not to fond of that class in general, I don't
mind healing.

I hear a lot of complaints about resto druids but not much about mw monks.

Any Ideas>?

Im not really sure how mw monks work and I know resto druids use hots a lot and their mushrooms are lame.. but we need a leather healer for our raid since we have so many clothies
already and no leather other than monk tank.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The Mistweaver Monk is a simple spec. It requires attention but thats about it, I probably would say its a very easy Class and Effective Class above shaman. How to Heal? Keep up HoTs and use soothing mists to gain Chi, Once Chi is gained if aoe heals after you use your HoT use the ability (i dont remember any name except soothing mist) that requires that HoT to be active. If your group is taking massive damage use your heal that is similar to Lay of Hands but it affects the group instead of one. If you dont think you can get a heal out to save a member in time use the mist bubble. Make sure to always have a Jade Serpent out in normal - hard mobs and bosses if its a easy mob don't use it. Always use Chi once enough Chi has been gained you can use Mana Tea to gain most of your mana back. Also use your talent heal every time its off CD. Use Healing surge for fast quick heal and use the Ability that cost 3 Chi when you need a massive Heal. I apologize for the lack of name spells but its been awhile.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Go mist weaver monk. Top heals/mobility and top dps as a healer right now. Do not let people tell you that having a weak raid cooldown is a deterrant considering your healing tools if used right makes you the best healer right now in pve and pvp. Blizzard loves to crank the OPness on their new love child classes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can't speak for monks, but druids can be very useful to your raid if the player knows how to play one properly. Don't expect a bunch of burst healing from druids because they are simply not built to deal with that type of damage for a long period of time. To address your concern with mushrooms; they are our strongest AOE heal that we have (other than tranq) if used properly, however they have many conditions to be useful: 3 GCDs to place them, the time needed to charge them with rejuv. overheals and of course a group that is willing to stack. If there is a fight where everyone needs to stack, they are excellent, such as the elegon fight where there is time to place them, charge them and use them on a stacked group after the mob dies outside the barrier. If you are choosing a druid as your healing class, just be wary that depending on HoTs to do their job is a key part of being a resto druid, health bars will not jump up immediately after casting the majority of your spells and your HoTs will need time to heal as their name implies.
Reply Quote
off the wall question; do you have a holy paladin in your raid group? only reason i asked, is because it could have been a slight overlook to fill a nice void esp if you dont like maintaining hots (ie, what druids and monks mainly heal with).

i cannot really comment on druid healing (never got too serious with one), but monk healing is pretty simple with allot of upkeep. however it is pretty easy to get overwhelmed and let your hots slack. your top priority should be to upkeep your renewing mist and use thunder focus tea on cooldown or at key times of a fight. burn your chi with either, uplift for raid damage (pref after RW has spread to as many people as possible), or enveloping mist for heavy tank damage.
Reply Quote
My Monk's not 90 yet, but my Druid is. I've been having lots of fun healing on him. Druid healing involves keeping Lifebloom rolling on one of the tanks and spreading HoTs on people. Wild Growth is a very good spell, especially with the Soul of the Forest talent, and Swiftmend is also great. Mushrooms really aren't that bad; if you set them up in advance and use them right, you can get a nice burst of healing when you need it. Druids focus on HoTs, so as Fandeath says, you won't see health bars immediately shoot up, you need to wait for the HoTs to work their magic.

Mistweavers are also heavily HoT based (to the point where their main spammable heal is still basically a HoT), but with Uplift, you'll see health bars shoot up instead of just waiting for HoTs to do it.

You can't go wrong with either class.

Though if you want an offspec that you can use some of the same gear for healing, go Druid. You'll need an entirely new set of gear to dps on a Monk, but you can share gear for Resto and Balance to at least get your dailies done and stuff.
Edited by Flintte on 4/4/2013 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Human Rogue
yeah we already have a holy paladin as our main healer other wise i wouldve chosen that
and a shaman that will fill the 3rd healing spot when needed.
our disc priest is quitting for a while because he is getting deployed again and doesnt have internet where he is going for a month or two.

I have a druid at level 61 so I think ill just level him instead of having to level 1-90 again on a monk.
Though if druid doesnt fit my fancy I do have a 90 shaman which I main healed on in Wotlk but
Im really burnt out on that class and I dont like healing with it. I have a priest too at 90 but
we have so many clothies it doesnt really make since to go with it.

Ill keep monk as an idea maybe ill level it in my off time, it just sucks so much switching mains
because of that stupid legendary quest haha.

thank you guys for all the feedback. The healer community is a lot better than most others in this game it seems.
Edited by Iophobia on 4/4/2013 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
I would first start off with saying, go a monk they're good healers in PvE at the moment, weak in PvP though.
Go mist weaver monk. Top heals/mobility and top dps as a healer right now.
Disc Priests do more damage than us I hope you know.

04/03/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Fomortis
Do not let people tell you that having a weak raid cooldown is a deterrant
Its not, but it means you're less likely to be brought into a raid. Plus it means that if they nerf the flat healing you do it would kill you in raids, as you have weak raid utility.

best healer right now in pve and pvp.
One of the best healers in PvE, the worst healer in 3v3 arena and please don't dispute that fact. They are garbage outside of RBGs (3v3). The only healer that performs worse than a MW monk is a Holy priest.
Edited by Gasleak on 4/4/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Ill add a little bit of current perspective as seasons for pvp are ending. Currently mw monks are only viable with fear teams or turbocleaves. Warriors and warlocks mainly, priests are viable Dps for your mw monk 3s as well. On a raid perspective, monks have insane burst healing for hectic situations and management of orbs for those times is key. I personally switched to druid so I could push 2k rating with two friends of mine (rogue, mage). I got 1850 as monk, mage, rogue but couldnt break that.

Druid is disappointing in the Dps and burst healing perspective,but the ability to cc targets takes the place of burst healing. In a raid you are the buffer for other healers to top off the raid without letting anyone get too low; in Pvp you simply stack hots and hard heal to top off while CCing a Dps to prevent incoming damage. Hopefully monks get better changes to diminishing returns, or they will remain viable with only 2 team comps. Needless to say I love the complex-simple relationship for both classes, but the actual choice should be based on necessity or fun.

Happy hunting y'all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
JK NECRO
Edited by Xulift on 2/11/2014 6:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Go mist weaver monk. Top heals/mobility and top dps as a healer right now.

As soon as I read this, I looked at the date and noticed it was a necro.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
What is a necro?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/11/2014 11:19 AMPosted by Uendele
What is a necro?

When someone bumps a really, really old thread.

For instance, this one is a few months shy of a year old :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]