Best Guide for a new Mistweaver?

90 Night Elf Druid
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of lvling a Monk. I plan to primarily heal once I hit 90, so I'm looking for a good guide to get a feel of what I should be doing. I don't see a MW guide stickied on these forums, so I wasn't sure if anyone could point me in the right direction. The top results when I search Google are Icy-Veins and Noxxic. I'm not sure if it's the same case with their MW guides, but I didn't really find their Guardian Druid guides to be optimal, and from the searching I've done so far there doesn't seem to be a MW equivalent to Theincbear.com
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bump, no answers? I've seen alot of subpar Mistweavers, so I really want to make sure I have a good idea on how the class works
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
pvp or pve?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My bad, should've clarified. PvE. Sorry
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well if you plan to heal at 90 then you will most likely be ranged healing, considering it is just more viable than fistweaving(melee healing).

As a MW you use mana and chi for heals. Your three main chi generators are:

Soothing Mist - A channeled single target heal that has an ever increasing chance to give chi every time it heals a target, while channeling soothing mist you can instantly cast surging mist and enveloping mist without stopping or breaking your cast.
Renewing Mist - A "smart" heal over time which will jump from your original target to two others.
Expel Harm - Self heal that costs very little mana and has a relatively low CD. Use this even if you do not need to heal yourself.

Now there are other ways of generating chi that deal damage, or are rather mana consuming. For instance crackling jade lightning acts like soothing mist as in it is a channeled damaging ability that will heal people at random, funnily enough it heals for more than soothing mist but costs a small amount more at level 90, and surging mist which is our version of a flash heal will generate one chi.

Your main chi spending abilities for healing are:

Enveloping Mist - A huge heal over time that costs three chi to use. This is basically your fire and forget heal, hitting a certain haste cap at 90 will give you an extra tick of this.
Uplift - This is our real area of effect heal that will heal everyone with renewing mist, our heal over time, on them for a decent amount. Keep in mind people without our hot will not be healed by uplift. Costs two chi.

Also do not forget to put your statue down during pulls, it will copy your soothing mist when you use soothing mist as well.

Your big cooldowns are mainly revival and thunder focus tea. Revival is a huge raid wide heal that costs no chi, and thunder focus tea will severely increase the amount your next surging mist or uplift heals for, costs one chi.

Now most classes have some way of gaining mana back, right? Well we have mana tea, which is very powerful. Basically every time you spend 4 chi on abilities you gain one charge of mana tea. You have a chance equal to your critical strike chance, to get two charges of mana tea where you would otherwise gain one. In order to gain mana back with this you have to channel mana tea, every one second you will gain 4% mana back.
Edited by Kagg on 4/5/2013 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well if you plan to heal at 90 then you will most likely be ranged healing, considering it is just more viable than fistweaving(melee healing).

As a MW you use mana and chi for heals. Your three main chi generators are:

Soothing Mist - A channeled single target heal that has an ever increasing chance to give chi every time it heals a target, while channeling soothing mist you can instantly cast surging mist and enveloping mist without stopping or breaking your cast.
Renewing Mist - A "smart" heal over time which will jump from your original target to two others.
Expel Harm - Self heal that costs very little mana and has a relatively low CD. Use this even if you do not need to heal yourself.

Now there are other ways of generating chi that deal damage, or are rather mana consuming. For instance crackling jade lightning acts like soothing mist as in it is a channeled damaging ability that will heal people at random, funnily enough it heals for more than soothing mist but costs a small amount more at level 90, and surging mist which is our version of a flash heal will generate one chi.

Your main chi spending abilities for healing are:

Enveloping Mist - A huge heal over time that costs three chi to use. This is basically your fire and forget heal, hitting a certain haste cap at 90 will give you an extra tick of this.
Uplift - This is our real area of effect heal that will heal everyone with renewing mist, our heal over time, on them for a decent amount. Keep in mind people without our hot will not be healed by uplift. Costs two chi.

Also do not forget to put your statue down during pulls, it will copy your soothing mist when you use soothing mist as well.

Your big cooldowns are mainly revival and thunder focus tea. Revival is a huge raid wide heal that costs no chi, and thunder focus tea will severely increase the amount your next surging mist or uplift heals for, costs one chi.

Now most classes have some way of gaining mana back, right? Well we have mana tea, which is very powerful. Basically every time you spend 4 chi on abilities you gain one charge of mana tea. You have a chance equal to your critical strike chance, to get two charges of mana tea where you would otherwise gain one. In order to gain mana back with this you have to channel mana tea, every one second you will gain 4% mana back.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I had no idea what spells to prioritize really
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1251599-The-Serpent’s-Accord-A-Mistweaver-PvE-Guide
Best guide I've seen.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Fistweaving, in all reality, isn't that bad in the proper situations. If the raid damage is pretty low, and you can get away with about 20K HPS instead of your normal numbers, you can pull 50K+ DPS at the same time easily enough. Or, alternatively, take the end of Horridon, when he's taking 200% more damage. This will mean your Fistweaving heals will go up significantly, too (nearly 200% more), letting you put out competitive HPS numbers, while doing a LOT of DPS.

Now, my healing experience isn't anything beyond LFR, so if you're wanting to do normal modes I might be horribly wrong.

Another thing to point out about Thunder Focus Tea: it doesn't actually increase the healing done by Uplift. Instead, it makes your Uplift refresh the duration of Renewing Mists on everyone effected by it. This will, if used properly, let you get Renewing Mists on 12 targets simultaneously- the entire raid. Of course, it'll only be that way for a few seconds, as TFT has a 45 seconds cooldown.

Also, for Mana Tea- I'd advise glyphing it. The glyph makes you instantly consume 2 charges, but puts a 10 second cooldown on consuming any charges. You can use Mana Tea on cooldown with this glyph, and will, except for very weird situations, never hit the Mana Tea stack cap. To do so you'd need to be generating more than 2 stacks every 10 seconds- or using more than 1.25 Chi per second. It's pretty difficult to do this, even while Fistweaving, which has a VERY high "chi turnover" rate, as you basically swap between Jab and Tiger Palm Strike in most situations. That's still 1 Chi every 2.5 seconds or so- half the rate needed to have a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I sometimes Mistweave when the extra healing is necessary. However, for LFR and LFD I find Fistweaving very effective and much more fun.

Fistweaving can work well on some fights and it scales better for 25 man than 10 man. The key to fistweaving, if you are going to do it, is to run a very disciplined rotation.

Talents and Glyphs
1. Use Ascension - You don't need the extra chi from Power Strikes or the burst chi from Chi Brew. The extra mana will give you more mana back every time you use Mana Tea.
2. I like Invoke Xeun for easy content. The DPS cooldown also boost healing through eminence. Rushing Jade Wind works great on fights where everyone stacks like Megaera.
3. Glyph Mana Tea. There is little free time while fistweaving. You need to be able to hit Mana Tea and get back to hitting stuff. Also, Fistweaving needs Mana Tea used almost on cooldown to regen enough mana to keep going.

Rotation
1. Drop statue
2. Jab>TP (5 times)
3. Free Surging Mist (even if no one needs healing - don't hold it. You need the chi)
4. Jab>BoK
5. Mana Tea
6. Repeat

At 10K spirit this rotation is mana neutral for me. If I drop in some ReM I have to watch my mana. Uplift isn't really an option as all of the Chi needs to be used on Muscle Memory procs. If you need to use uplift shift to ranged healing (Soothing Mists as Chi gen).

Rotation advice/explination
1. Drop your statue (Always). Your statue significantly increases eminence healing and must be down. If the fight moves then move your statue (it doesn't cost any mana).
2. Always follow Jab with TP or BoK. The main change in 5.2 was that the cost of Jab was doubled but Muscle Memory was added. If you follow Jab with TP or BoK you get about half your mana back that you spent on Jab. Don't waste any Muscle Memory procs. This is essential.
3. Use ReM sparingly and only when necessary. ReM will give you chi and do healing but it will also drain your mana. Use it before significant raid damage.
4. If the raid is stacked feel free to drop Jab and instead use Spinning Crane Kick>TP or BoK. This is especially effective if paired with Rushing Jade Wind. Spinning Crane Kick will also proc muscle memory if it hits enough people (3).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]