Durumu Maze Improvements – 4/9

Community Manager
Late in the 5.2 PTR cycle we found that the Durumu smoke effects during the maze phase were causing debilitating performance issues for some users’ computer hardware configurations. We made a fairly last-minute change to the cloud effect that wasn’t quite what we had first planned on using, and as you’re likely aware, made traversing the maze more difficult than we had intended.

Last night we released a fast patch (you can read more on these small client patches here) in addition to a standard hotfix, which both work to improve the readability of the maze visual, as well as make the way the maze appears a bit more intuitive. These changes will be noted in a future hotfix blog update.

It being Tuesday and all, we’re eager to hear how these improvements impact your runs tonight and/or later this week. Let us know in the comments below!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Good to hear, the PTR visual was much better but if it caused problems, I didn't experience any on the PTR. It surprised/confused me when the live version was so much worse.

Edit - that said, however, I think that a lot of visual effects could stand to be made more obvious, especially in the larger raid settings. In general, it's player generated spell effects obscuring important boss effects.

The Durumu visual would've probably been mostly fine if the beginning was cleaned up and made more clear, and if it weren't for things like Devotion Aura combined with Mind Daggers making players glow brightly, obscuring where the safe spots actually are - Devotion Aura specifically causing everyone to glow bright white like the Lightning Storm balls you're trying to dodge on Jin'rokh is just an example of what's wrong with spell effect design in raiding. Most player-based effects probably don't need to be conveyed to anyone other than the caster or your enemies in PvP... allies just don't need to see them.

Basically, making important things hard to see adds artificial difficulty and feels terrible, and it's a problem that should really be solved sooner rather than later.
Edited by Ashunera on 4/9/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
But but I like determination stacking in LFR. Sooo much dps!
Reply Quote
it's much more improved but the maze moved a bit too fast to catch up to the war's leg's.

still isn't perfect yet but it's good enough.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Do you mean last night or what I just downloaded? When I went this morning it was much the same as late last week accompanied by much death. I will try again later this afternoon.
Reply Quote
those restart's that happened today made sure the new stuff got implemented so it was tuesday after restart.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm going home to test it now. I'll have just enough time to make a pizza while I wait in Que.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's still really hard to navigate in my opinion. I can't quite tell where the path is unless it's a huge hole. I managed to get in it part of the time, but still died from it on each of our attempts in LFR today.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I saw improvements when I ran my shammy through it this afternoon - we actually downed him on the first try.

Now...if we could ever fix the horribly broken loot system in LFR (this toon got two of the staves on the same effin' boss kill), or work on making Dark Animus much easier for a group of 25 PUGgers (and likely one or two griefers minimum), then I might be able to 'progress'. Until then, I won't even bother with the frustration that is that wing of LFR, and of course that means that I can't see the last part, nor go through 5.4 LFR raids until I find a group that can down DA.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I just ran it on lfr today on my pally and it didn't seem any different to me lol

But my group did one shot it so..... only like maybe 6-7 of us were alive at the end but during the first maze like maybe half of the raid lived. Was it that they were smart people who had done it before or because of the change? idk...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I ran it about 4 hours ago. 4 wipes. Only 1 person didn't already have the achievement, so you can't blame it on new people. I didn't see any difference in the graphic from last week to this week. It's still very difficult to traverse the actual maze, sometimes the path doesn't appear until the ray is right on you. What time of day did these changes go live? I'm guessing I ran before the hotfix/patch.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
But but I like determination stacking in LFR. Sooo much dps!

Don't worry, the majority of the raid will still stand in Disintegration Beam.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Paladin
That was much more visible, only 1 wipe and that was because someone didn't run the beam for the add. Thank you. <3
Reply Quote
If people are still having issues seeing where to stand. When the beam first comes out look straight at the boss, where ever the purple smoke first starts appearing is the side of the beam you wanna stand on at least for melee.
Edited by Bahska on 4/9/2013 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[
or work on making Dark Animus much easier for a group of 25 PUGgers

If people listen and dont aoe the fight is easy, aoeing doesnt kill the boss faster it only spawns more adds until the tanks get overwhelmed.
Edited by Bahska on 4/9/2013 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I thought it was weird I could you know, actually see the safe spot today.

Not as visible as I'd like it to be, but it was actually visible, which is a big improvement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I went into LFR today (NOTE: i did not know they changed anything at the time i went into it). quite honestly the only thing i noticed was that Durumu's either laser or fog was a bit buggy. it seems that his laser was going faster then i remember on my previous adventures though LFR and Normal and that the fog disappeared about 3-5 seconds before the laser actually disappeared.
i was fine with it before the hotfix, but i guess if you could look into this problem and fix it, it will be a nice improvement.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I went into LFR today (NOTE: i did not know they changed anything at the time i went into it). quite honestly the only thing i noticed was that Durumu's either laser or fog was a bit buggy. it seems that his laser was going faster then i remember on my previous adventures though LFR and Normal and that the fog disappeared about 3-5 seconds before the laser actually disappeared.
i was fine with it before the hotfix, but i guess if you could look into this problem and fix it, it will be a nice improvement.

I almost died multiple times just trying to run from the laser.

I had to pop Burning Rush multiple times. I'm not sure if they upped the movement of the beam on purpose or what, but some classes don't have a movement speed booster.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Is the visual change only for lfr?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Had a number of guildies report the changes made it easier for them today, will likely be testing it myself tonite.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]