Durumu Maze Improvements – 4/9

90 Orc Rogue
To add my experience as well the eye beam is moving much faster while the maze is easier to see if you do not have a druids 124 run speed increase and are stuck with the base 108 run speed you will die to the beam without a speed boost if you try and run in the ranged zone. the beam just moves too fast now as well as throwing up a solid wall of eye beams at the end of the phase that give you no safe place to go. Our guild spent 60 wipes learning this the first week we got to it and 6 wipes last week re-clearing. We felt like we were progressing. Now having to deal with these changes we're back up to over 15 wipes (this week so far) because our 108 speed boost toons can't get away from the beam fast enough at the end of the phase with the solid wall of eye sores.

Please revert to previous version for normal and heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When we first hit Durumu in 10m N it was the first major hurdle mostly due to the difficulty to comprehend the contrast between safe and unsafe zones in the maze from the odd visuals. However, after many tries we got it down and continued to do so. Now, after seeing that all the particle/cloud effects are gone it feels very trivial and intuitive. This carries mixed feelings, because had it been this way at the start I'm sure we wouldn't have wasted so much time on it originally and now that it's this way feel somehow cheated. Though, I acknowledge this is probably the best move for the raiding community as a whole. I'm unable to comment on the 25m or LFR as I don't participate in those.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
The end of the Eye Beam phase is bugged so hard now. Half of the time the maze stops creating a path right at the end of the phase which means you either have to eat a few ticks of Eye Sore or end up eating the beam.

You didn't improve the maze, you broke it.

^^^^^

We had similar problems last night in our 25man. The Beam at ranged moves so fast that we were not able to keep ahead of it. Melee complained that when the beam had nearly completed its path they had no where to go, the path stopped opening up and the beam kept coming. Please fix.
Edited by Zúul on 4/10/2013 6:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Rogue
I really wish there was a way to turn that graphic off. I'm disabled in one eye and it's...headache-inducing to say the least.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
We've found out how the end of the maze works, right at the end of the maze, eg 5~ seconds you can run out and the maze will dissapear and you won't take ticks from eye sore.

But its still fairly dodgy in saying that, that path should really still keep going on, this change would make the maze perfect really.
Edited by Eruptor on 4/10/2013 6:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Same problem as most people with the new maze. While it may start off easier, you do need a speed boost to run the ranged path. Even with Body and Soul from Power Word: Shield used on all members, we barely kept ahead of it. Unfortunately you then get to the end and it dead ends leaving you to flail into the eye sores and lose people because there's no opening and the beam is about to hit you. It feels a bit like herding sheep off a cliff.

Two fixes needed to this fix:

• Beam needs to be slowed down again so the ranged path can be run without extensive use of speed boosts.
  • The maze needs to reveal itself a bit faster and not dead end. The dead end happens in both the ranged and melee path.

In addition, I feel the previous graphics were easier to see. The maze seemed more dense. Now it's almost harder to see the path once you're past the first opening. This may be due to the fact that the maze is opening slower however.

Unfortunately while I enjoyed the previous version of the maze, this version feels much harder and more random. It's annoying having to relearn a fight mechanic. If they kept this version in LFR where the eye sores do a lot less damage, I probably wouldn't care but they really need to revert this for normals and Heroics where people have already been able to master it and don't want to respend raid time relearning.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Echoing what other people said, eye beam is moving way too fast, last week's raid everyone more or less mastered the maze phase and this week you completely changed it, faster beam, dead ends. To say it's frustrating is an understatement.

It would be greatly appreciated if it was just reverted to the old way with the current graphic settings.

And to be extra clear, please seriously consider changing it from the current model.
Edited by Kokorozashi on 4/10/2013 6:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Forgot to note that something in the new look is causing wicked lag spikes for my computer. They did not happen last week. I turned everything all the way down and even set my resolution to the lowest my monitor can handle... still have the lag spikes.

Its like every 3 seconds my FPS drops to 0 and then goes back up again. Really weird that happens now but didn't before.

This is what happened to me as well. Apart from being a heavy-chugging spell effect in general, I kept stuttering like mad.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Considering we had this boss on farm, it took us like 2.5 hours to kill it yesterday. The beam moving super fast, and now it moves further down the platform where there is no maze, just a wall of purple doodoo. It was more or less everyone use defensives, and TRANQ just to survive the end of the maze. Is there a reason you guys made the beam go around 390 degrees instead of 360? because thats what caused most of the wipes for us yesterday. Also, I am not sure, but the people with life drain on them kept getting force of will like almost every time. Never seen it happen before, but Ill assume it was just bad rng.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Considering we had this boss on farm, it took us like 2.5 hours to kill it yesterday. The beam moving super fast, and now it moves further down the platform where there is no maze, just a wall of purple doodoo. It was more or less everyone use defensives, and TRANQ just to survive the end of the maze. Is there a reason you guys made the beam go around 390 degrees instead of 360? because thats what caused most of the wipes for us yesterday. Also, I am not sure, but the people with life drain on them kept getting force of will like almost every time. Never seen it happen before, but Ill assume it was just bad rng.

Not bad RNG, but bad design. Just like both tanks getting Lingering Gaze at same time, while one tank also gets the Life Drain. All at same time. Happened 3 times in one night. It is beyond stupid.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
seems like the maze has dead ends now. particularly at the end of that phase, nowhere to go but either into the beam or onto eye sores.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
Can we get a FoS for killing him pre-patch?

"You see what I did there?" -Durumu
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It went from being the most difficult phase of the fight to probably the easiest at least as far as the melee maze. I would suspect that this is going to make heroic much easier as well. Honestly the only part that needed to be kind of fixed was the very start of the maze and seeing where the gap was.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This was my favorite fight in ToT, pre-fix. I LOVE fights where there is just enough rng to keep you on your toes coupled with mechanics that make everyone have to be self aware. Now this fight has lost both of those elements. I applaud the changes to the LFR version with the yellow beam moving fast enough to find all 3 fog beasts without having to go into the maze with beams still up. The normal version 'fix' needs tweaking. As stated above, the beam moves extremely fast for the ranged path and those of us without a speed boost can't move faster than the beam. This results in mass death in the ranged path not from player failure, but from mechanics failure. The melee group made it to the end of the maze to die from the maze having no further openings and having to choose between the beam of death or the wall of death. We had this fight learned the original way and considered this to be 'on farm'. Tonight we go back in and try it again after wiping multiple times last night, but unless things are hotfixed again I'm uncertain what we can do differently that will make a difference.
Edited by Telgina on 4/10/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Ran this yesterday, the maze affect didn't look any different and is still a real pain in the butt to see the clear path.

The eye beam seems to move almost faster than the path reveals and towards the end of the eye beam it's really hard to see where the maze is leading in melee ranged, if it's even actually being made still.

It feels like either the eye is moving too fast or the path is revealing too slow. I also really really hate that purple fog/mist effect? It looks terrible. What on earth is it supposed to be...

PS. Love the fight, and the raid, and Mists in general. Not a hater. This mechanic though... seems like one of those gimmicky trial mechanics you Blizz just couldn't get right but left in.
Edited by Renslo on 4/10/2013 8:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Draenei Shaman
Smoke effects are brutal on many people systems. You can see it on the Karasong scenario that opens up with fire and smoke everywhere as the 2 other ppl in your group walk in place until you have killed to the gate. There are a few other places in WoW this happens but prior to this raid that was the worst. Why these effects are added makes little sense mist/smoke effect are fps killers why that would be in a part of the game where split seconds matter is beyond absurd.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The fight was "easier", maybe because people knew/know what to do/look for. Maybe because someone was desperately typing Left! LEfT1 when they saw the squigglies.

But that beam speed, it made it frantically fun again.

I like it.
Reply Quote

[ul]
  • Beam needs to be slowed down again so the ranged path can be run without extensive use of speed boosts.
  • The maze needs to reveal itself a bit faster and not dead end. The dead end happens in both the ranged and melee path.
  • [/ul

gistene approves of slowing the eyeball down.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    Please put old maze for normal mode. Had no problem running in range a week before, now beam moves too fast.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    the safety zone still seems to have a mind of its own sometimes, or the boundaries are iffy.

I still survive it frequently, and I noticed it is easier to see now though.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]