Ret paladins?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've leveled this toon only as ret from start to end. Unfortunately, at the MoP range, I found that Ret was doing poorly compared to other classes in terms of DPS. The only thing that I thought made me worth at least something was offhealing with Selfless Healer when the healer was oom in 5-mans.

So instead of offhealing, I just switched to Holy and started gearing for it so a better dps class could take my place.

Is there any hope for retadins? Or will they be confined to the bottom/middle of dps charts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've seen a few rets cleaning house on LFR (we don't have a ret in my main normal raiding group for me to go by) by about 20k more than second place at least. Consistently. I'm not sure if they're just extra super gear dependent or something, but datamining suggests they're trying to raise the Sword of Light passive from 15% extra damage to 30% with 5.3.

It used to be that rets were famous for their burst cooldowns. Now, DPS warriors and shaman and hunters rule that realm. :0
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret's quite viable. We may not be the current flavor of the month, but there is plenty of room for a good Ret to stand out. You may have given up too easily, frankly...

Plus, we look to be getting a nice buff in 5.3.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret will NEVER be good.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Two things:

1. Ret is doing fine now and getting buffed in 5.3.

2. Being in the middle of the pack isn't bad as long as the difference between the middle and the two ends isn't very large (which, right now, it isn't).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
5-mans are all about actually using your short CDs and aoeing during trash if you want to make yourself feel better about the meters, and that's something that ret can actually do fairly well.

If you go in with a raid spec, don't use CDs and don't understand how to aoe as ret, then spend all your time staring at the meters, you're going to do badly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret is decent at best right now our main gimick has always been insane single target dps and now other classes do it better. 15% sol dmg will hopefully help this plus rank limit on most fights for ret on WOL is about 50k below the top classes over 100k on most aoe fights like horridon if thats not a huge gap idk wtf is keten. I just dont see how being way behind is somehow decent now. Oh and you have to play damn near perfect to even be behind by that much so yeah gg.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was under the impression that you shouldn't be looking at WoL to get an idea of how good your class/spec is.

Compare yourself to your raid group, not LFR. Not people who rank. Not raidbots. It's easy to fail when you set the bar too high.

OP, your healing spec is missing enchants and gems and lord know what else, I didn't really look. If your Ret spec is in the same shape, then it's no surprise you are doing poorly.

Ret will NEVER be good.

Thank god.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
04/15/2013 12:32 AMPosted by Suriyel
15% sol dmg will hopefully help this plus rank limit on most fights for ret on WOL is about 50k below the top classes over 100k on most aoe fights like horridon if thats not a huge gap idk wtf is keten.

Making up numbers doesn't help anyone.

Horridon has a damage modifier ( a rather large one at that )
The comparison between Ret and Destro is NOT a 100k gap, and the ranking difference is approximately 30-40k dps.
Horridon is not a fantastic fight for Ret, it is a great fight for Destro

Other fights are the same way, bigger difference on fights with a modifier. Also not accounting for padding, fight design, or resource generation.

Ret is middle of the pack, a little better, and a little worse depending on the fight. There is not a big gap between the top spec and the specs lower than Ret on MOST fights. That is actually evident from WoL reports.

Two things:

1. Ret is doing fine now and getting buffed in 5.3.

2. Being in the middle of the pack isn't bad as long as the difference between the middle and the two ends isn't very large (which, right now, it isn't).

The difference between the two ends is around 2-5k on non-gimmick fights, with that being said, we are decent.
I don't play Ret in our raid group because of the dps, but the utility is great. The dps that comes along with it is just a bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm not saying were horrible or anything just that we need a little help that's all. 15% on sol might help with the sustained dmg when our wings are on cd. Sidenote did misread WOL was looking at top dps for the specs not rank limit so my bad but were still behind just not that far.
Edited by Suriyel on 4/15/2013 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Personally I don't think ret paladins are that bad. I leveled this guy through Pandaria with almost no trouble. As for dungeons and raids, I cant speak for this. I don't do them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
How ret feels http://i.imgur.com/15LUf9H.gif
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The reason my build is horrible is partly because I'm not a fan of forking out 1800g for a glyph, and partly because I'm going to switch out of Borean Tundra. The AH here is.... well, um, let's just say gray quality items are posted for 2k.

I do like ret's utility. Just not the dps when an enh shaman can do better with their buffs in 5.3 and better offhealing. I'm also not seeing the flat 30% damage buff on the PTR. It might not yet have been added, idk. But it IS kind of painful watching an ele shaman getting top dps from just spamming Chain Lightning when they're supposed to be in a bad position right now.

Oh, and I'm not looking at the meters the entire time, I check Recount at the end of every boss and reset at the end of every boss. Just for the record.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry but those of you saying that Ret is FINE, that is total BS. Ret is the WORST class hands down in Hardcore Progression raiding right now. A ton of the top guilds arent even carrying a Ret in the raid because of our honestly bad we are.

We are Out dps'd by every single melee class and honestly in the hardcore progression scene our Utility is outmatched by most. Warriors bring MUCH better utility with Rallying cry and Rogues with Smoke Bomb. This tier in the top guild scene Retribution Paladins are F'ing worthless. I love my ret but I'm gearing up my warrior/rogue for t16 so if we are like this for another tier, which I see happening unless something major happens, much more than sword of light Buff, I can main swap.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
y u heff 2 b mad
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I can main swap.

Please do. You'll be happier, we'll be happier.

Win/win.

04/17/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Pallyrock
The reason my build is horrible

Is the reason why you're doing horribly compared to everyone else.

Don't come in here with a patchwork character in horrible condition and then make claims about the spec.

You're not going to do well against other players when your character is in shambles and you don't know what you're doing.

Player skill means far more then what some sim says about the current class power balance. It's why skilled players beat people playing overpowered classes all the time.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 4/17/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
04/17/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Zoaxlis
A ton of the top guilds arent even carrying a Ret in the raid because of our honestly bad we are.

Are you in a top guild? That's an important question, because top guilds contain a tiny, tiny fraction of the game's raiding population. Top guilds will do whatever it takes to get an edge--most guilds do not. Top guilds benching certain specs means nothing to the majority of raiders.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
A ton of the top guilds arent even carrying a Ret in the raid because of our honestly bad we are.

And that means what, precisely, to the vast majority of players? You're Ret; you're raiding heroic progression. Yet you say it's not viable. So, why haven't you been benched or rerolled? I mean, by the logic of "Ret is bad because top guilds don't take Rets," you and your guild must surely suck out loud to still be letting you run as Ret.

But, clearly, since you are still raiding as Ret, you don't suck and, presumably, neither does your group. And that's what matters most! As long as you and your team all know what you're doing, there should be no room for complaint. If you, personally, are seeing a damage disparity, I would recommend getting a new weapon before just saying "Ret is the worst hands down."

EDIT:
04/17/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
Win/win.

Hey, Caden! You've been conspicuously absent of late!
Edited by Grôgnárd on 4/17/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Warriors bring MUCH better utility with Rallying cry and Rogues with Smoke Bomb

So you're saying that Smoke Bomb or Rallying Cry (by themselves!) outweighs emergency off heals, all of the Hands, LoH, and AM?

Hardcore progression or not, that sounds ridiculous. If really you love your Ret, notice how you didn't say Paladin, you'd probably be less willing to give up on it. If you rolled a Paladin to be top DPS, you already made a serious mistake.

If anything, you're worthless to your raid. That's not the specs fault.

I'm not saying the spec doesn't have it's issues. I'm just saying that I can't take you seriously when you say things like this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Warriors bring MUCH better utility with Rallying cry and Rogues with Smoke Bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Myff5xAZM
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]