Pause the game

Is there someway I can pause the game so I eat breakfast?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
O.o
Can't "pause" WoW. :P
But you can just hang around in a City or small town so you won't get attacked by
random mobs.
Can't really pause online games like this one. It's not like a Ps3 or XBox etc. This keeps going none stop, everything around you keeps moving.
Edited by Dáriuse on 4/3/2013 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nope, it's just like eating in the car, you do it carefully and mostly when you've stopped.

However, holding down both mouse buttons to move does allow for a sandwich or something. Later on when you have a flying mount, that can serve a similar function to pausing, because you can just mount up and rise into the air where you'll generally be safe while dealing with something else.
Edited by Drewb on 4/3/2013 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If you're somewhere safe like a city, you can just leave to have breakfast. Nothing will bother you.

If you're not, you can use your hearthstone to go where you last set it, which should be a safe place.

You can always log out, but understand that the game never pauses. The world will continue to exist, and respond to other people. All you're doing is making sure nothing can mess with you.

(On the upside, if you log out to have breakfast, there's very little that can be lost. Most things are designed so that you can take them up or drop them at your convenience.)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Outside of logging out, there's no way to be 100% safe. There are "safer" ways if you really do no want to log out ...

• Be in a city. No wild mobs. Unless you're flagged for PVP, opposing factions won't be able to attack you.
• Be on a road. Few wild mobs come close enough on a road to aggro to you. Same PVP rules as above.
• Be in stealth (if you are playing a class that can stealth). Wild mobs will need to be close to you to aggro to you. Opposing faction won't see you unless close, or higher level than you.
• Flying mount. Once you can have a flying mount, just zoom up and hover.
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go inside a building and set down with my back to the wall. Now I can go eat my Capt Crunch without looking over my shoulder. You guys are swell!
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Priest
well i have learnd so much from the blogs and just now if i can pause i am in level 15 and still am lost to many things ty for letting me know can't type /pause cuz i was and wondered why i was dead after a trip to the ladies room.
i am knew and i am lost in some quest but i jkeep tring to find a way to get there, seems there is none!! I love this game, my sister is a level 30+, she also helped me along.
prob is i know no one else to help me fight or guide my way..ty i gabber to much..(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
i am knew and i am lost in some quest but i jkeep tring to find a way to get there, seems there is none!! I love this game, my sister is a level 30+, she also helped me along.
prob is i know no one else to help me fight or guide my way..ty i gabber to much..(

If you make your own thread and ask about the quest, including the quest name, the regulars here may be able to help you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
well i have learnd so much from the blogs and just now if i can pause i am in level 15 and still am lost to many things ty for letting me know can't type /pause cuz i was and wondered why i was dead after a trip to the ladies room.

As Avanna said go back to the New Player Forum and click "Create Thread" to start a new thread where more people will be likely to see your question.

Also be sure you read the quest text, as it will generally give you a good idea which direction you should go. If you open your game map (m key) there should be quest markers on the map. If there aren't, hit the esc key to bring up the main menu, click "Interface", and then in the list on the left of the interface menu click "objectives" and enable automatic objective tracking. This will help you find your way around.
Reply Quote
81 Troll Death Knight
Just don't play WoW before you get all your basic necessities done for the day?
Reply Quote

That's true :D The worst is when you have a pizza in the oven and your looking for raid group starts. PAUSE plox
Edited by Bavra on 4/18/2013 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

well, yes, that's good advice in theory, but most people go to the bathroom, eat, and drink multiple times a day. If you're in the middle of a play session and suddenly have to pee, you have to get somewhere safe quickly before running to the bathroom, OR potentially have to deal with a dead character upon your return.

Death in WoW is not permanent and not all that painful compared to some games. You run back to your corpse and ressurect. If you died somewhere you can't easily get to, rez at the graveyard, head to the nearest repair vendor, and wait 10 minutes for the ressurection sickness to wear off.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid

• Be in stealth (if you are playing a class that can stealth). Wild mobs will need to be close to you to aggro to you. Opposing faction won't see you unless close, or higher level than you.
• Flying mount. Once you can have a flying mount, just zoom up and hover.

These two. Also, if you are a hunter, you can play dead, giving yourself a little time.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Engaging in a pet battle also seems to work for short term pausing. But to be honest, I don't know if doing so will eventually time you out to the character select screen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Engaging in a pet battle also seems to work for short term pausing. But to be honest, I don't know if doing so will eventually time you out to the character select screen.

That only works on a PvE (aka: normal) or RP servers. When engaging in pet battles you are still visible (and attackable) by other players. It's only mobs that will ignore you. So on a PvP server it won't save you from getting one-shotted by that level 90 that decides to swoop down and kill you.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Warrior
i need an option for this too
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
i need an option for this too

There can't be an option for this. That would defeat the whole point of an online game.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
If you're on a pve realm, walk to the road.
Within the level 20 range, you're not likely to be in places where there will be things wandering along the road which will kill you.
(unless you're in Duskwood and Stitches is on the loose!)
-in which case, walk into the inn.
Reply Quote
(unless you're in Duskwood and Stitches is on the loose!)

He's summoned and phased now, the roads there are pretty boring these days T.T
Edited by Drewb on 4/20/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]