Nightstone Choking Me

93 Goblin Warlock
<Cough, cough>

For anyone leveling JC, you hit a wall at 480ish where Nightstone Choker is the only alternative to grinding the daily for antiquated recipes simply to level to 500, and as a result the price on Nightstones are gouged on the AH at anywhere from 400-700g a pop, and at 2 Nightstones per choker and 20 points, that's a lotta gold for a profession.

1.) Am I missing something?
2.) If I'm not, Blizz can you make this a smoother transition for future levelers? Maybe a recipe or two more for alternative stones? Or purchasable recipes for lower level gems?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
1.) Am I missing something?

Yes: prospecting. At those prices for Nightstone, you should be prospecting Obsidium and Elementium Ores. You're even a miner, I see. If there's no ore to buy on your local AH, do some laps around Deepholm, and prospect everything until you have what you need.

Also, Darkmoon Faire can make those tough leveling transitions a bit easier.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
As can the Blingtron Fire Spirits - if you're lucky enough to get on.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Why not just learn a rare cut gem? Shouldn't the Cata recipes get you to 525?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
They only have to get you to 500 before you can pick up Mists of Pandaria cuts. Personally, I'd do the dailies for 3 days or buy/mine ore to get through that small hump. There is nothing that says you have to buy the Nightstones themselves even if that's all you could make/learn at that level.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Warlock
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Yeah, all of this is true, but when going from 80 to 90, the last thing a MoP leveling character wants to do is:
1.) Farm ore and prospect until you have 60 nightstones in Cata zones (do you realize how long that would take?)
2.) Do Cata J/C dailies.

It's what I'll end up doing, but it would be nice if Blizz put in either purchasable rare Cata recipes or 1-2 other trained uncommon gem recipes. Feels like I'm getting stalled out having to spend more time in older content simply to get around a drought in patterns which worked great for Cata and not so great for MoP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Yeah, all of this is true, but when going from 80 to 90, the last thing a MoP leveling character wants to do is:
1.) Farm ore and prospect until you have 60 nightstones in Cata zones (do you realize how long that would take?)

About an hour. Maybe two.
2.) Do Cata J/C dailies.

5 minutes maximum for three days.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Warlock
I can tell you for a fact that it's not an hour or two max. I've done it for an hour or two and got 4 nightstones out of the lot.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Warlock
and that said, I do have a few ocean sapphires and doing the dailies isn't terrible to pick up a recipe or two to fill the gap. I'd just prefer more than 1 recipe for greens at that level.
Reply Quote
Then don't do the dailies or prospecting and pay the going rate in the ah.

Bottom line is, either farm or don't farm. But if you choose not to do the prospecting or jc dailies, don't complain about the price on the ah.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I can tell you for a fact that it's not an hour or two max. I've done it for an hour or two and got 4 nightstones out of the lot.

That is some pretty bad prospecting rates there. Usually get quite a few when I am done prospecting 15-20 stacks of ore. That is what I can mine in two hours in Deepholm.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Warlock

Bottom line is, either farm or don't farm. But if you choose not to do the prospecting or jc dailies, don't complain about the price on the ah.

I had two points in OP.

First, a question if anyone had alternative ideas. That was answered and I appreciated it.

Second, just saying that on the way up through J/C, now that MoP is out, there's a bit of a bump *IMO* that requires a bit of work and it'd be nice if it were smoother and contained within the leveling cycle. I've got several toons I've leveled through that range and this is the first profession where I myself have noticed it. Just making an observation.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Warlock
Okay, f me, I need to shut up. I finally just grabbed an ocean sapphire recipe and got to like 510 on 70g. nm lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm glad you found a cheaper way around your problem.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I'm glad you found a cheaper way around your problem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]