Zarhym talks about April fools.

(Locked)

100 Night Elf Rogue
Based on all the interesting replies I've been receiving on Twitter, I just want to specify here that I was primarily referring to website content and the priorities of our Web and Community teams. These are the teams that tend to put the most focus on April Fools jokes on our websites. People are extrapolating a lot of strange conclusions out of what I said... or, I guess more accurately, what I didn't even say.

And, as I said in the first of those tweets listed on MMO-C, we DID work on ideas for this year's April 1, but they didn't really pan out. We decided we couldn't justify spending MORE time on it this year with everything else going on. This doesn't mean we had more time to kill in previous years, or that we'll never do gags on our website again. It was a matter of priorities and time investment.

It's awesome that people enjoy when we do fun stuff. We like fun too. I'm sure we can all continue to have fun together, even if we didn't fool people on the day everyone not only expects it, but apparently demands it. :p

It's been pretty quiet around Christmas lately, too. When's the last time Blizzard released a wallpaper?

April Fools' is a chance for Blizzard to come up with interesting, sort-of-almost plausible ideas or spoof some aspect of the game or gaming. It's once a year, and let's be honest, it's not like you don't know it's coming in advance.
100 Human Paladin
04/03/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Sayne
I wonder. if they don't have time to do these things now, with a small expansion. what would we see with an actual large expansion that spans 10 levels. We'd never see any extra "fun" content

Why do you think levels have anything to do with amount of content? It is a pretty common complaint that leveling takes too long and you have to do too much to hit 90.

Blizzard clearly stated that these expansions was going to be smaller and faster. I mean no more five man dungeons, they also switched focus to short scenarios, clearly less content. unless you like raids.
15 Human Warrior
Based on all the interesting replies I've been receiving on Twitter, I just want to specify here that I was primarily referring to website content and the priorities of our Web and Community teams. These are the teams that tend to put the most focus on April Fools jokes on our websites. People are extrapolating a lot of strange conclusions out of what I said... or, I guess more accurately, what I didn't even say.

And, as I said in the first of those tweets listed on MMO-C, we DID work on ideas for this year's April 1, but they didn't really pan out. We decided we couldn't justify spending MORE time on it this year with everything else going on. This doesn't mean we had more time to kill in previous years, or that we'll never do gags on our website again. It was a matter of priorities and time investment.

It's awesome that people enjoy when we do fun stuff. We like fun too. I'm sure we can all continue to have fun together, even if we didn't fool people on the day everyone not only expects it, but apparently demands it. :p

It's been pretty quiet around Christmas lately, too. When's the last time Blizzard released a wallpaper?

April Fools' is a chance for Blizzard to come up with interesting, sort-of-almost plausible ideas or spoof some aspect of the game or gaming. It's once a year, and let's be honest, it's not like you don't know it's coming in advance.

They worked on some stuff, which didn't turn out well enough to be used, and eventually other priorities took precedence and they were out of time and resources.
90 Human Paladin
http://www.wowpedia.org/2007_April_Fools

Here is actually a list of all the April Fools jokes made over the past 10 years. Is it really our fault for expecting something awesome, or Blizzard's for establishing this tradition?

There's nothing wrong with expecting it. There's a lot wrong with throwing a fit over not getting it one time.

I'm not sure if your definition of throwing a fit, and mine, are quite the same, but whatever.
And I've previously mentioned that this has actually happened before, with the absence of a pre-release event for MoP. Although that is a lot more work than a simple joke, it was also a bit of a tradition which Blizzard didn't want to spend time on.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Don't know if I buy the making more content over a couple of April Fool jokes. Don't you have a separate team for doing web stuff? What content could you mean?
100 Human Priest
Zarhym, I hope you remember that tweet the next time you're inclined to give the canned "Doing X doesn't take away resources from Y, we have independent teams" response we've been treated to for years. I'm glad you guys are finally admitting something we all knew and decried for many, many years now.

He....didn't admit anything except that the web team didn't come up with anything good and wanted to continue to work on new website content instead of wasting more time on it.

I'm feeling a little salty over the last sentence though. This one:

I think, if you have a really fun tradition that people look forward to and all of a sudden stop doing it, massive disappointment is normal. It's like you didn't even notice how people felt when all we got before MoP was early access to a scenario instead of the unique, one time event that you had been doing.

What changed so that things like this are seemingly no longer possible?
90 Gnome Warlock
Seriously, if they HAD done something it would be: "Well they're wasting resource development on jokes!" and since they didn't do anything for that reason it means more complaining.

The problem is that for WoW it's not the dev team that does the jokes, it's the CM team.

Edit: Or not, apparently its the web team thats mostly involved.
Edited by Bomdanil on 4/3/2013 1:08 PM PDT
100 Undead Priest
Thank you for posting something about the lack of a WoW related April Fools joke Zarhym. Sometimes things just don't pan out, and I think the majority of us understand that.

I think the real issue here is that lately Blizzard is giving the appearance of not caring about the little things. Between no Blizzcon this last year, the totally botched anniversary email, general disinterest in the ongoing buggy and wildly unpopular mess that is CRZ, and now the lack of an April Fools joke, many people are beginning to question Blizzard's commitment to their players.

Individually some of these things just don't matter, but piled together even some of your loyalist customers are beginning to have doubts.
100 Draenei Mage
This thread reminds me of the all the butthurt posts made during the anniversary. You people are weird. Who cares, I mean, really?

Pay your money, play the game, ta da!

And for all you people saying *Blizz does not care*, I could careless if Blizz cares about me or not, as long as I am getting what I pay for. If I need a hug, I hug my bf or son.

So many people aren't happy unless there is something to complain about.

Weirdos.
Edited by Tepiny on 4/3/2013 1:12 PM PDT
15 Human Warrior
Hey, um, Zarhym?

If you're still reading this thread, I have a question.

What are you vomiting all over the wall in your Twitter background picture?

Is it paint? Candy?

Oooh, I hope it's candy!

Wait... If... No, skulls don't have digestive system, the candy should be fine even after the reversal of peristalsis. : D
90 Pandaren Monk
WHOA WHOA STOP THE PRESSES!! They're working on actual content? MADNESS!!!

^that is the april fools
100 Blood Elf Warlock
wait, we have to inform ourselves about what Blizzard is doing by going to a third party website?

Can someone provide a link or something?

Thanks much.
I think, if you have a really fun tradition that people look forward to and all of a sudden stop doing it, massive disappointment is normal. It's like you didn't even notice how people felt when all we got before MoP was early access to a scenario instead of the unique, one time event that you had been doing.

What changed so that things like this are seemingly no longer possible?

^^^ This.

I don't go way too far back, but i was there for the last bit of Wrath. The lead-in to Cata with the elemental attacks, the earthquakes etc. That was epic fun. I hear stories of the lead-ins to Wrath and BC and wish i hadn't been so stuborn for so long resisting MMOs on principle. Then MoP....meh.

Don't get me wrong, i dig my panda....but this expansion has me pretty fricken butt-hurt.
100 Orc Warlock
I don't buy the excuse. StarCraft got a joke, and Blizzard's web content manager works on all battle.net sites.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/b20/interviews.html#fourthInterview

In fact, seems like you used to have the April Fool's joke in content planning. Sounds like it used to mean something to the web team at one time as well, wondering if they could outdo Crabby.

'One of Blizzard's core values is "Every Voice Matters." I write up an email, making suggestions for the StarCraft II site. On the web team, we have many sites to cover, including StarCraft II, Diablo III, World of Warcraft, BlizzCon, and Blizzard.com, so we always need to be planning and thinking about improvements. For example, our April Fool’s joke planning is going to start soon. We've been doing this for years, and it keeps getting harder and harder to top ourselves... Crabby is going to be a tough act to follow, that's for sure. Still, I'm sure we'll come up with something funny for our players.'
15 Human Warrior
Thank you for posting something about the lack of a WoW related April Fools joke Zarhym. Sometimes things just don't pan out, and I think the majority of us understand that.

I think the real issue here is that lately Blizzard is giving the appearance of not caring about the little things. Between no Blizzcon this last year, the totally botched anniversary email, general disinterest in the ongoing buggy and wildly unpopular mess that is CRZ, and now the lack of an April Fools joke, many people are beginning to question Blizzard's commitment to their players.

Individually some of these things just don't matter, but piled together even some of your loyalist customers are beginning to have doubts.

I think the lack of a Blizzcon last year was mostly due to the lack of any upcoming stuff to share.

Pandaland was out or very close to being so, D3 was out. I dunno what was up with SC2:HotS at the time, but surely you can't host a Blizzcon and not have Warcraft stuff to share?

Is it still a conspiracy theory if it doesn't accuse anyone of acting improperly? Or if those conditions are met, can it be upgraded to optimistic hypothesis?
The real joke is that on April 1st they showcased all the new 5-mans coming out in this expansion!
15 Human Warrior
wait, we have to inform ourselves about what Blizzard is doing by going to a third party website?

Thanks much.

Click the button that takes you to the first post by a Blizzard official. Zarhym posted in this thread and even elaborated a little more. ^^
100 Blood Elf Warlock

Thanks much.

Click the button that takes you to the first post by a Blizzard official. Zarhym posted in this thread and even elaborated a little more. ^^

Clicky clicky, thanks again!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]