Prot Paladin Haste

90 Tauren Paladin
Wondering if any other prots out there have found a "haste breakpoint."

I'm sitting at nearly 12000 haste now, and my CS is on an exact 3.5 sec CD. Seems like at some point we could go back to the Cata rotation of tanking (CS-Filler-CS-Filler-etc), and maybe someone could find out how much haste that would be, where CS would be at a 3 sec CD.

Just seeing if anyone else out there has thought about this stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The 3-second cooldown worked like that because Prot's GCD was fixed at 1.5 seconds. But with Sanctity of Battle, everything speeds up at the same rate, so that won't happen again. The real haste cap is when you can do CS-Judge-CS-Judge-CS-Judge, i.e. 1 Holy Power per second, which is...probably not going to happen.

There is a soft cap of sorts at the GCD cap, though, which is at 50% haste, but I don't know how that would affect gearing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=25956

Sanctity of Battle
Requires Paladin
Requires level 58
Melee haste effects lower the cooldown and global cooldown of your Judgment, Crusader Strike, and Hammer of Wrath.

Retribution
Hammer of the Righteous, Exorcism,

Protection
Hammer of the Righteous, Consecration, Holy Wrath, Avenger's Shield, Shield of the Righteous

In essence your entire rotation speeds up with Haste rating. Note that Haste also reduces the global cooldown triggers by spells (I would assume this applies to things like applying Sacred Shield or using level 90 talents such as Holy Prism or Light's Hammer, although if this is not the case, then Haste value is only diminished ever-so-slightly).

The only real plateaus I can see for Haste are:

- Spell GCD cap of 1.0 seconds (50% haste). We are passively there during Heroism, and considering with 11k Haste rating I'm a tad at 38.7% (with SoI up), yeah it's doable. However, how many actual abilities does this impact and how much would this plateau actually impact our secondary stat priority? I'd assume it would be extremely negligible.

- The point where our Holy Power acquisition outscales our ability to use it. In other words, spamming Shield of the Righteous every GCD would still leave us with surplus Holy Power. I guess this was within the realm of possibility (sort of?) until 5.2 changed Sanctity of Battle to also reduce the cooldown on ShoR. Right now my ShoR cooldown is 1.19 seconds.

I may be missing something, but I'm fairly sure that if we back off of Haste stacking, it's because we will look at our stats and say "Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of Haste, I think I should balance myself out with some more Mastery and/or Stamina now".
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
85681266773:
I may be missing something, but I'm fairly sure that if we back off of Haste stacking, it's because we will look at our stats and say "Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of Haste, I think I should balance myself out with some more Mastery and/or Stamina now".

I realize this thread is a little old, but no sense in creating a new one if the answers can be found here. Although I've played Paladin for many years, I'd taken a break for MoP and now, returning to tanking, I'm trying to figure out how much haste is "enough" or "too much."

With my current gear, I hadn't found that my HP had been a cause of concern for our healers, and I'd been relying on AMR's analysis for reforge/gemming approaches. However, after reading more into haste levels for tanking, I'm wondering if the default stat weights for the Control/Haste build studied so extensively by Theck could/should be changed.

My reforge/gem setup in my armory now is what I've been using. Changing to include haste over stam gems could boost my haste as high as ~25%. But should I? Any feedback or discussion is welcome.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
91648216834:
My reforge/gem setup in my armory now is what I've been using. Changing to include haste over stam gems could boost my haste as high as ~25%. But should I? Any feedback or discussion is welcome.

If your health is not an issue, yes. AMR's default stat weights are setup for 25-man heroic content, thus the heavy emphasis on stamina, which isn't usually needed for normals.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tailias and Berelyte, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are about itemizing gear for haste vs. tier bonuses. The two piece obviously is useful, but if we're stacking such a large amount of haste, is it necessary to go for the four piece? Last night in raid I tried doing as pure of a haste stack as I could and got my total up to about 30% haste off my armor alone. During fights, I had roughly 43% haste from the attack speed buff, and when all my cooldowns lined up, it was still only about a second before i could launch another CS or Judgment. With the right gear, if we're able to build that much haste, it makes the four piece seem unnecessary. I think an argument could also be made that if played correctly, the two piece bonus isn't even necessary if we have have Shield of the Righteous up so often.

So, my questions to you are:

Do you think it's better to go for max itemization, forgoing Tier bonuses, or should Tier bonuses be the base of the set and build control/haste from there?

Is it really necessary to go for the four piece bonus with such relatively low cooldowns, or will the two piece bonus suffice?

I'll do my best to leave my tank set up on armory so you guys can look over it if you want. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Our tier bonuses are pretty optional. I would happily use the 4-piece if I could get enough up-to-date Conq tokens without screwing over the fifty million Conq users in my raid and downgrading a lot of heroic or TF gear (much of it well-itemized) to normal tier.

The general consensus is that in 10-mans, even the furthest heroic bosses won't generate a ton of 4-piece procs. I tank 25's, which deal a lot burstier damage to compensate for extra healers, so I'm typically wearing stam trinkets and such - it would inflate the value of the 4-piece. I'd like it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to screw over all the DPS who have no choice but to use the tier tokens, or to downgrade really well itemized 528+ (at this point, often heroic) items for worse itemized 522's for the tier.

The 2-piece fares a bit better mostly because our helm and shoulders are quite nice pieces in and of themselves. Not because the 2-piece is tremendously valuable (it's not a bad bonus but it doesn't change our ability usage).

edit: Your armory looks quite good. I will say though that Colossus is a quite outdated enchant with ToT levels of tank damage. Dancing Steel tends to be the go-to, although you could probably justify Windsong.

You could eke out some more Haste by skipping some socket bonuses and then reforging the mastery on your helm or belt to Expertise or something, but since you're perfectly at 15.00% right now, I'd wait until you get another upgrade. No sense fixing what isn't broken.

Mostly I'm just nitpicking. You seem to know what you're doing.
Edited by Tailias on 5/30/2013 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]