Fantasy books about dark races?

Hiya everyone,

I was just wondering, does anybody have any recommendations for fantasy books in which darker races are prominently featured (can be either a race as a whole or a few major characters)? I'm talking about orcs/half-orcs, undead, demons, etc... with the exception of dark elves/drow (I've read many books about them already and I don't particularly care for them all that much tbh).

I tend to like these races quite a bit and am kind of sick of them being portrayed as one-dimensional "lolbadguyz."

Thanks a lot!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Read Michael Moorcock's Elric novels. Elric himself is sort of morally ambiguous, but the race/society he belongs to is extremely evil. You could also try Jacqueline Carey's Sundering duology (Banewreaker/Godslayer). It's kind of like a retelling of the Lord of the Rings, from the point of view of Sauron and his servants, who are much more tragic and sympathetic than you might expect.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The Goblin Corps, by Ari Marmell. Think of a traditional Lord of the Rings style adventure where a party of heros has to run around doing impossible !@#$ to save the world. The twist is that these 'people' are an orc, a hobgoblin, a troll, a kobold, etc. Oh, and they work for the Dark Lord Sauron expy.

It's a bit light hearted for its evil-as-%^-* protagonists, but it's funny and it works.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the responses, guys!

All of those sound fairly interesting. The Goblin Corps looks especially entertaining. xD

I'll have to pick them up when I get the chance.

Also, I'm always open to more suggestions.
Reply Quote
Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw, the reviewer for Zero Punctuation. It's written from the perspective of the lich raid boss of a glitchy MMO, and is pretty much directly inspired by WoW.
Reply Quote
53 Blood Elf Priest
The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

Gives a lot of background of the chaotic Dark Elves of D&D lore.
Reply Quote
You should try ''Rise of the Horde''...
The first WoW book in chronological order, it's all about the orcs, mainly, and how they got corrupted, and ...I won't tell you too much about it in case you want to read it, but I'm currently reading it right now, approaching the end, and it is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]