So my budget is 2,000... ready...set...go...

29 Human Paladin
So I am going to sell my current rig soon and put aside some money and buy a Haswell build in Julyish, or when they make an H100I for LGA 1150. But I have alot of needs here so bare with me. The entire PC must be color coordinated. IE, Red fans, red/black board, red ram, red/black video card etc. Red isn't the color I need bu you get where I am getting at.

I'd like to stay with as few brands as possible. Like for case, PSU and liquid cooler, corsair or cooler master for example. I believe in brand loyalty and tbh, most major brands that make several different products make good !@#$.

So where is getting at me is, I'd like a case at around 20lbs or less as my HAF 932 is just WAY too heavy it broke my desk. Ideally, if possible i'd like to be able to mount a 240MM radiator in the front of the case in a pull configuration, not many cases offer this and it's hard to find.

I am going to go with an I7-4770K+Z77 motherboard. I expect this to take up about 500-550 dollars so that leaves 1450-1500 (before rebates not after) to build it. Note, I will be running Quad Channel 4x4GB DDR3 ram, and my HD 7950 OC'ed to 1100/1500 isn't enough power for me, so I'll need quite a bit stronger, probably SLI 670's as Xfire doesn't work atm due to frame rating issues.

So with all that said, ready, set, go!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
far as a know the Swiftech H220 is the best water cooler around if you want a plug and play its around 139.95
Edited by Katzenbär on 4/8/2013 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Troll Hunter
I say start with the case and build from there. I just built my rig in a Bitfenix Prodigy and love the looks and the mITX form factor. The Prodigy is available in Black, White, Red, or Orange!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree that in this case you should start with the case. I think it will need to be standard atx though because of SLI and overclocking. Probably worth sorting all the cases at Newegg by full aluminum and perusing the Lian-Li cases, though some other companies have aluminum offerings as well.
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
I am thinking about a corsair 500R, running a H100I up top and replacing all the fans with red LED fans, running 2x140MM side red LED fans. Also running an ASrock Z77 Extreme board in all black with either black or red dims. Then Run Dual Asus cards.
Reply Quote
63 Troll Hunter
Well, if you really want to go high end and like Black/Red etc. you should just roll with a Silverstone FT02 and an Asus RoG Mobo etc.

I'm not a huge fan of the Corsair cases. Not a knock on them, but they don't suggest the high end feel of say a Lian-Li (as noted above) or a Silverstone case. It's like a Z06 Corvette vs. a Porsche 911. Sure, the Z06 is wonderful, but it doesn't exude class like the 911...
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
Problem is my 2,000 dollar budget. My dual graphics card, CPU and motherboard will account for 70% of the budget. Power supply also needs to be fully modular as well, and a 500GB SSD drive is 300-400 dollars. Lian-Li and Silverstone cases are just very plain to me.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Ya know, I think the 500R meets all of your criteria except maybe one - weight. Weight is the only reason I suggested Lian Li. Those cases really are things of beauty, but they don't really cater to hardcore gamers. Thing is though, you're going to put a *lot* of hardware in whatever case you get - it can only get so light. I think the 500R will be stellar except it will still weigh more than you want when assembled. It's still a badass case though.
Edited by Selvaganesh on 4/8/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
It weighs 15lbs empty, so about 35lbs filled which is alot better than 50-60. I have a 400R down stairs for a customer build and it is VERY light, with an H100I it weighed in the box like 37lbs.
Edited by Stephié on 4/8/2013 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Nice. I wish Newegg would publish case weights, but as I click manufacturer links, I don't see them there either.

Weren't you using dual 7950's in xfire? Because I don't think the dual 670's in SLI would be much different.
Edited by Selvaganesh on 4/8/2013 8:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noVu8BXkCsw&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw&index=4

Fast forward to 29:00 and see why crossfire is bad. If you're too busy basically Fraps/ingame FPS is incorrect and Xfire is not actually displaying the frames called for. So even though I see 60.0FPS on FRAPS I am only seeing about 30 due to runt/incomplete frames.
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
Are both of the HD cages removable in the 500R? I would like to run a front mounted radiator if possible because using the top with SLI would be stupid as case temp in SLI can be up to 50*C which won't cool the CPU much.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
Z77 is LGA 1155, I believe the LGA 1150 enthusiast boards are going to be Z87. Why do you want to pull hot air into your case? If you put the radiator in the front of your case and pull air through it, that hot air is going straight to your GPU. Sure, you've got an H100 ready to cool the GPU and CPU in one loop (or two, but I think two closed loops plus a case will exceed your 20 lbs) but you want the hot air exhausted from your case (top or back, top works well for most) not pushed toward your electronics. Unless by pull configuration you mean that you want to pull air from your case and exhaust it out the front, but that's technically a push.

GPU: Do you need 2? Do you want to wait until Q4 and get the new stuff? Any idea if another GK110 card will come out 1H this year? (there's a scaled down titan coming out sometime, not exactly sure when, has slightly lower memory bandwidth and 5 GB instead of 6 GB of ram, same clocks, same GK110 architecture, not sure what else has been disabled)

Remember one key thing for the SLI thing. You want a reference designed pair of cards if you do go with SLI because of exactly what you mentioned. Case temps. If you get some TwinFrozr or some such pair of cards, they are designed to run by themselves. Yes, they have the capability to SLI, but when you put 2 of them next to each other, they exhaust their heat all over each other. You want cards that suck in cool air from the case and exhaust it out the back. Many people are disappointed by SLI/CF temps because they buy these non reference cooler models and get their boxes really hot. Reference design doesn't mean you can't get one of the special edition factory OC versions. You can find those with reference coolers as well. The GTX 680 Superclocked+ is a good example of a factory OC card with a reference design.

So, light weight, water cooled, Haswell, enthusiast board. It'll be a stretch to get this thing under 2k, but I believe it may be doable. Just remember that the i7 and the Z77 board is going to be a large chunk of that budget right there, so you might not have enough money in that budget for a pair of powerful cards in SLI. 330 for a CPU, and depending on what mobo you go with your Z87 might end up running you close to another 300. H100 is another 110, hard drive is under 100.

I noticed you mentioned quad channel RAM. You understand that the Haswell i7 isn't going to be able to address RAM on 4 channels, right? Dual channel is the max, just like with ivy and sandy bridge i7. LGA 1150/1155/1156 only has so many pipes to shuffle data back and forth on. You have to get the LGA 2011 (or whatever pin configuration the Haswell generation of X priocessor is going to be) CPU and board to support quad channel RAM.

As far as your ancillary stuff like what brand for cooler and PSU, that's completely up to you, you'd have to see who has the biggest rebates at the time out of the brands you trust. Also, the frame lag from crossfire happens in SLI as well, it varies from game to game, and system to system, but neither manufacturer is immune to it, so if you're jumping from team red to team green just because of an experience with some microstutter/frame lag, you may find yourself disappointed in the future (or you may not, it varies.)
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
Z77 is LGA 1155, I believe the LGA 1150 enthusiast boards are going to be Z87. Why do you want to pull hot air into your case? If you put the radiator in the front of your case and pull air through it, that hot air is going straight to your GPU. Sure, you've got an H100 ready to cool the GPU and CPU in one loop (or two, but I think two closed loops plus a case will exceed your 20 lbs) but you want the hot air exhausted from your case (top or back, top works well for most) not pushed toward your electronics. Unless by pull configuration you mean that you want to pull air from your case and exhaust it out the front, but that's technically a push.

GPU: Do you need 2? Do you want to wait until Q4 and get the new stuff? Any idea if another GK110 card will come out 1H this year? (there's a scaled down titan coming out sometime, not exactly sure when, has slightly lower memory bandwidth and 5 GB instead of 6 GB of ram, same clocks, same GK110 architecture, not sure what else has been disabled)

Remember one key thing for the SLI thing. You want a reference designed pair of cards if you do go with SLI because of exactly what you mentioned. Case temps. If you get some TwinFrozr or some such pair of cards, they are designed to run by themselves. Yes, they have the capability to SLI, but when you put 2 of them next to each other, they exhaust their heat all over each other. You want cards that suck in cool air from the case and exhaust it out the back. Many people are disappointed by SLI/CF temps because they buy these non reference cooler models and get their boxes really hot. Reference design doesn't mean you can't get one of the special edition factory OC versions. You can find those with reference coolers as well. The GTX 680 Superclocked+ is a good example of a factory OC card with a reference design.

So, light weight, water cooled, Haswell, enthusiast board. It'll be a stretch to get this thing under 2k, but I believe it may be doable. Just remember that the i7 and the Z77 board is going to be a large chunk of that budget right there, so you might not have enough money in that budget for a pair of powerful cards in SLI. 330 for a CPU, and depending on what mobo you go with your Z87 might end up running you close to another 300. H100 is another 110, hard drive is under 100.

I noticed you mentioned quad channel RAM. You understand that the Haswell i7 isn't going to be able to address RAM on 4 channels, right? Dual channel is the max, just like with ivy and sandy bridge i7. LGA 1150/1155/1156 only has so many pipes to shuffle data back and forth on. You have to get the LGA 2011 (or whatever pin configuration the Haswell generation of X priocessor is going to be) CPU and board to support quad channel RAM.

As far as your ancillary stuff like what brand for cooler and PSU, that's completely up to you, you'd have to see who has the biggest rebates at the time out of the brands you trust. Also, the frame lag from crossfire happens in SLI as well, it varies from game to game, and system to system, but neither manufacturer is immune to it, so if you're jumping from team red to team green just because of an experience with some microstutter/frame lag, you may find yourself disappointed in the future (or you may not, it varies.)

If you put a radiator up top, you're using case temperature to cool the CPU and in SLI that temp can be 40-50*C. My room stays about 20-25*C so using that air to pull into the front is MUCH cooler than 40-50*C.

EDIT: Z77 was a typo yes LGA 1150 is Z87.
Edited by Stephié on 4/9/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
Here is my current idea list
I7-4770K
red/black Z87 Board
4x4GB 1600MHz red or black ram
500GB Samsung 840 SSD
Corsair 500R Case
7x Cooler Master Sickle Flow red fans
Silverstone 850W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU
Dvd Drive
2xHD 7950 Twin frozr's

I may go a green/black build but then i'd need to go Nvidia
Reply Quote
63 Troll Hunter
I just don't see how you can consider a "high end" build in a Corsair Case...

Have you looked at the Fractal Design options?

Those cases (Silverstone/Lian Li and Fractal/Bitfenix to a lesser degree) may seem "plain" but they exude quality...

Do you want quality or flashy?

I still insist that the most performance/smallest form factor would be to roll with a Prodigy. You can absolutely fit a Titan or 690 in the case.

There's also the FT-03 which is another very unique case that you can stick an Asus RoG Mobo in (they offer an mATX version).

I think you either go big (FT-02 or TJ-07) and run SLI whatever and a RoG Mobo or you go Small (FT-03 or Prodigy) and cram a ton of performance into a SFF. Otherwise you're still sitting in the middle of the road...
Reply Quote
29 Human Paladin
Those cases are far too heavy and costly. I only have 150 dollars MAX towards a case. Don't think I can afford an ROG board as well. I want a spacious case with good airflow, good cable management but is lightweight.

Smaller cases cannot move/space out heat that well, or else i'd go with a CM Force 500. Large cases like my CM HAF 932 has amazing airflow but is too heavy for me.

EDIT: I want flashy, quality, light weight, efficient, good air flow, good cable management etc
Edited by Stephié on 4/9/2013 8:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
If you put a radiator up top, you're using case temperature to cool the CPU and in SLI that temp can be 40-50*C. My room stays about 20-25*C so using that air to pull into the front is MUCH cooler than 40-50*C.

If you use reference design coolers and water cool your cpu, your case temp won't be 50C (provided your case has decent airflow) in a 25C room. You don't really want to pre-heat the air you're going to use to cool your GPU, which is what you're doing by sucking air through your radiator into your case. Either exhaust through the radiator or put the radiator in its own enclosure. You also have the option on some higher end cases to have multiple airflow paths, where you could have airflow through the radiator seperate from airflow over the cards, but that's going to add to the cost and I think you're going to cut it close on the budget. Also, ignore my Titan-LE recommendation from earlier, that bad boy is still going to set you back 700 which will def push your budget over 2k for sli

2xHD 7950 Twin frozr's

please don't sli/cf those, use a reference cooler. That will blow the heat from your cards out of your case instead of spreading the heat all over your case (including onto your other card and being the reason you have 50C case temps and don't want to put your rad at the top). Yes, you can't always OC a reference cooler as high as an aftermarket cooler (sometimes you can, luck of the draw). You a) won't need to because you're running 2 of them and b) a reference design allows you to use a water cooling solution in the future, should you decide to water cool your GPUs
Edited by Yongsa on 4/9/2013 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
It occurs to me that if the point of this upgrade is to get the best fps possible, the better approach may be to keep your Sandy Bridge I7 and instead invest in dual Radeon 8xxx cards when they appear. Maybe swap cases as well for the look you want.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
The next architecture change for both AMD and Nvidia was just pushed back to 2014. Whether GTX 7XX is going to still be Kepler and GTX 8xx is when they move to Maxwell has been under some confusion, but they did announce that Maxwell is delayed until 2014. AMD also announced that they have no plans to launch any new GPUs this year.

Because of all this, it's looking like a top of the line gaming machine this year will be using either Kepler or Tahiti architectures for GPUs and Haswell for CPUs. Looking forward to finding the price of a 4670K, since I don't forsee myself needing a 4770k at that point, but if I have the extra hundred bucks, I might go for it anyways
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]