I just switched to marks.

91 Blood Elf Hunter
From survival.

I PvP.

And I have no clue what I'm doing now :)

Any tips for beginner marks hunters?
Reply Quote
Go BM.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
Go BM.

I play whatever spec I have fun with haha.. and MM seems to be quite fun though i don't know how to best use it
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
04/10/2013 08:19 AMPosted by Freehuggs
SS target and refresh with Chimera. Steady Shot twice to get your haste buff, aimed shot when you get 3 stacks of master marksman, and steady some more. Arcane shot to dump excess focus but you'll mostly be steady shotting the most. Its a REALLY fun spec but hard to play, it honestly takes a deeper skill set

Deeper skill set? The spec is much weaker in pvp nowadays.

In all seriousness, what does marksman offer in PvP that's so superior to BM or survival for that matter? Aimed Shot can be easily line of sighted in arena. Chimera shot offers an extra snare, but how useful is that versus most melee classes nowadays? What is the real upside to marksman in competitive pvp? An inferior spec doesn't make it more skillful to play. Just means the player is a masochist.

I think what MM hunter has to offer in PvP environment is survivability. Chimera Shot, when combined with the four glyphs/abilities below, offers reasonable HoT for Hunters.

Glyph of Animal Bond
Glyph of Liberation
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera (lv. 15 talent)
Spirit Bond (lv. 45 talent)

This spec can be specially interesting for MM hunters, since (IMO) their DPS seems to take longer to stabilize during a PvP match: it only starts to get good when Master Marksman trigger starts to stack and enables free Aimed Shots: until there, SV and BM are far superior in damage and utility.

Currently, I switch between BM and MM, and its really fun to use MM when you start to get the hang of its rotation; when you should stack Steady Shots up and when you should go for the throat with with Arcane Shot/Chimera Shot/Aimed Shot (yes, you should use Aimed Shots even when Master Marksman is not activated -- it is that good).
Edited by Trolligado on 4/10/2013 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/10/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Trolligado

Deeper skill set? The spec is much weaker in pvp nowadays.

In all seriousness, what does marksman offer in PvP that's so superior to BM or survival for that matter? Aimed Shot can be easily line of sighted in arena. Chimera shot offers an extra snare, but how useful is that versus most melee classes nowadays? What is the real upside to marksman in competitive pvp? An inferior spec doesn't make it more skillful to play. Just means the player is a masochist.

I think what MM hunter has to offer in PvP environment is survivability. Chimera Shot, when combined with the four glyphs/abilities below, offers reasonable HoT for Hunters.

Glyph of Animal Bond
Glyph of Liberation
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera (lv. 15 talent)
Spirit Bond (lv. 45 talent)

This spec can be specially interesting for MM hunters, since (IMO) their DPS seems to take longer to stabilize during a PvP match: it only starts to get good when Master Marksman trigger starts to stack and enables free Aimed Shots: until there, SV and BM are far superior in damage and utility.

Currently, I switch between BM and MM, and its really fun to use MM when you start to get the hang of its rotation; when you should stack Steady Shots up and when you should go for the throat with with Arcane Shot/Chimera Shot/Aimed Shot (yes, you should use Aimed Shots even when Master Marksman is not activated -- it is that good).

^ This, MM is a lot more fun IMO .. I even like it better for doing dailys.. Not having to rely on my pet being alive or on my current target is a plus and a minus but all in all I like it more than BM.. I find BM boring and blah . .
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
SS target and refresh with Chimera. Steady Shot twice to get your haste buff, aimed shot when you get 3 stacks of master marksman, and steady some more. Arcane shot to dump excess focus but you'll mostly be steady shotting the most. Its a REALLY fun spec but hard to play, it honestly takes a deeper skill set

people now hardcast aimed on the run.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
In RBG, I honestly prefer MM since your pet get owner by DKs/Lock cleave.

And in 3's, I mostly play MM too, because I like the feel of it. For myself, I find easier to manage it then always looking at your pet. But BM have more utilities, it's undeniable...

This is how i play MM :

[Normal Mode]
Serpent Sting (if hp > 50 or target is healer)
Widow Venom (if healer or healer near)
Chimera Shot
Powershot
Arcane Shot (focus > 30)
Steady Shot x2

[Burst Mode]
Burst Macro
Zoo
Powershot
Chimera
Then Normal Mode back ON.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
04/10/2013 12:58 AMPosted by Vanaria
Go BM.

I play whatever spec I have fun with haha.. and MM seems to be quite fun though i don't know how to best use it

I wish more people had this attitude
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
MM Pvp is all about practice. It's not as bursty as BM, but still has its burst. You need a pet (or more) with a CC ability - crane/spider/monkey (Crane and MOnkey are better imo b/c they prevent casting AND movement). Learn how to scatter trap healers quickly. MM is what all the top tier PvP hunters are using b/c it has more sustained dmg and doesn't require your pet to be on the opponent to use your best weapons: Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, and Power Shot / Glaive Toss.

Going MM makes your stampede hit for less, and dire beast worth less dps as well (I don't even use DB) BUT it gives you more long term dmg when stampede falls off and your opponents manage to come out without many scratches - it happens, and when it does, MM has less to fear b/c they didn't need BW and Stampede opener to win.
Reply Quote
MM is what all the top tier PvP hunters are using b/c it has more sustained dmg.

Both of these statements are untrue.

Most of the "top tier PVP hunters" are in fact BM, a couple use Marks.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
SV and BM are far superior in damage and utility.

Have you ever actually played a SV hunter in PvP?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
04/10/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Earthtail

I have! errr do. Its the only spec I PVP in. I have see some MM hunter just pump out huge amounts of damage. It takes time and practice though. I have tried MM and my DPs fell off bad. I will never do BM its noob spec, and Surv Hunters kill them easy.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
04/10/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Earthtail

I have, and I can say survival damage is very nice in BGs. I don't think many people know because SV is so overlooked but our AoE damage is insane with multishot. You can also dot targets and then focus on single targets with explosive shots and arcane shots.

If I'm playing offensively I usually top the charts, doing 10m damage in a bad bg and 16m in a good one, it's pretty ridiculous.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
Also SV hunters don't necessarily do unimportant damage either (random AoE attacks to get lots of damage done).

One thing I like about SV is that you can again, also switch to focused target mode where you deal damage to single targets.

I get lots of damage done as SV, but also a fair amount of KBs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I really don't enjoy arena's. It's not that i'm bad at them, i just find the amoung of nerd-rage that comes with it from teammates if things don't go exactly as you want it is too much for me. I play this game recreationally and i find just running randoms and world PvP is much more enjoyable.

This being said, i usually run MM. Like others have said above me about their rotations, i always open with SS due to the fact that CS refreshes it's cooldown. I also throw widow's venom on almost all my targets purely due to the fact that the majority of DPS classes have some sort of self heal. I really only use Aimed Shot as my opener (If i can, i stay cloaked while casting and follow with a CS before applying my SS to add some pressure off the bat). Overall, the advice that i found most helpful from other high-end MM hunters i have talked to is to ALWAYS have enough energy to fire those CS RIGHT when they come off their cooldowns. It adds to both your survivability AND damage.

Before i go their was a question posed early asking something along the lines of "what does MM offer that BM doesn't?" It allows for very effective quick switches. You won't always be able to down a healer on your own as MM, but you will be able to apply some pressure on the heals, silence shot, and full trap and quick switch to the DPS and absolutely blow them up in seconds. Most healers are not used to this strategy and it has worked for me hundreds of times.

Best of luck, i top charts and KB's almost EVERY game (besides those games where you've got a geared destro lock with heals) and beat the majority of BM hunters i face 1v1. Keep with it and do some research. For me, the reward from scoring kills as MM is much more satisfying due to the complexity (energy management, quick switches) of MM PvP than that of BM.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
i prefer MM pvp over BM cos i find it more fun
i have pvped as both BM and MM and yes BM is better in more situations, namely the triple trinket is what i love, i still find overall MM better as i have a horrid time with pet AI issues on some occasions

i dont pvp seriously, so specwise i play what is more fun and take it from there

but right now, i really miss how i can be more competitive against rogues as BM :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Channel Aimed Shot, then hit Chimera immediately

watch that chunk of health go bye bye
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]