How do mistweavers do in challenge modes?

90 Pandaren Monk
So I posted this in the monk forums, but nobody's given me a response. Figured I'd give it a try here instead.

----

My group is going to be doing a second runthrough with different characters once we finish with our mains. My thought was to finish levelling this toon up so it can be ready to go. But I'm worried that monks won't be quite up to the job as healers.

Everything I've read guides for mistweavers claims that monks are not the best choice for tank healers due to the unreliable chi generation from soothing mist, but make excellent aoe healers through renewing mist/thunder focus tea/uplift combos.

Are these guides wrong, or will this unreliable chi generation not be a significant enough issue inside a CM dungeon? I know that we can spam surging mist if needs be, but I figure if I have to keep spamming it for chi and throughput I'll probably have to stop and drink too often. Simply levelling at this point isn't giving me a good indication of what the class is really capable of, since damage is so low I can just fistweave everything.

Can anyone set me straight? Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
Mistweavers are certainly capable of healing through 9/9 golds.
The guides you are reading probably do not account for the fact that you can spam your soothing mist button while channeling (spamming it ON GCD) to have a higher chance for chi gen.

You will need to make sure that your tank knows what he's doing, but really that's just a given for all tank and healer comps.

I'd say practise in normal heroics, pull for tanks, etc, to get yourself experienced with healing on the monk once you've hit 90. They'll cry and whine about it, but it's whatever, it's the only way you'll grow as a healer.

You shouldn't ever really need to Surging Mist, you can do most strong single target heals with Enveloping Mist. If you're having to resort to Surging Mist, you and your group are going to need to speak with eachother about how to avoid taking unnecessary damage.
Edited by Mylli on 4/11/2013 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mistweavers are certainly capable of healing through 9/9 golds.
The guides you are reading probably do not account for the fact that you can spam your soothing mist button while channeling (spamming it ON GCD) to have a higher chance for chi gen.

You will need to make sure that your tank knows what he's doing, but really that's just a given for all tank and healer comps.

I'd say practise in normal heroics, pull for tanks, etc, to get yourself experienced with healing on the monk once you've hit 90. They'll cry and whine about it, but it's whatever, it's the only way you'll grow as a healer.

You shouldn't ever really need to Surging Mist, you can do most strong single target heals with Enveloping Mist. If you're having to resort to Surging Mist, you and your group are going to need to speak with eachother about how to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

How does spamming soothing mist on the GCD help with chi generation? It's still 35% chance for chi per tick, right?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, the only healing I do currently is on a resto shaman (and not for our CM group, so it's going to be interesting, heh).

I'm not that worried about the group taking unecessary damage (we're 5/9 gold so far, hoping for number 6 tonight), I'm just worried about making sure that mistweavers won't be too unreliable to be effective. But if they're capable of handling the gold mark...that's good enough for me. :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
When you cast soothing mist, you have a chance to gain chi the moment you cast it, as well as for the duration of the cast on each tick. When you cast soothing mist again during the cast, it resets the cast after it ticks once, so you now have a higher chance to gain chi every time you spam that button, at the expense of being GCD locked for a global.

This also procs an additional soothing mist heal, as well as costing slightly more mana; though you will gain mana tea stacks quicker through using the chi more often. It isn't mana friendly, but it's definitely throughput friendly.
Edited by Mylli on 4/11/2013 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When you cast soothing mist, you have a chance to gain chi the moment you cast it, as well as for the duration of the cast on each tick. When you cast soothing mist again during the cast, it resets the cast after it ticks once, so you now have a higher chance to gain chi every time you spam that button, at the expense of being GCD locked for a global.

This also procs an additional soothing mist heal, as well as costing slightly more mana; though you will gain mana tea stacks quicker through using the chi more often. It isn't mana friendly, but it's definitely throughput friendly.

Well now. Methinks that is going to be a handy trick to know. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Are you making use of healing sphere spam?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]