Timeline question

Not sure if this is the right forum... but, whatever.

So, this toon is used for RP. If she's 42 currently, how old would she have been when Lordaeron faced the Scourge/Plague? How old would she have been in the Second and Third Wars?

Thanks to all who answer~.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
-The First War started in the year 0 After Dark Portal.
-The Second War was at 6 ADP.
-The Alliance expedition to Draenor (Warcraft 2 expansion pack) was 8 ADP.
-The Scourging of Lordaeron and the Third War were year 20 ADP.
-Vanilla WoW was year 25 ADP.

...And here's where it gets a little messy.

According to Anduin's age, Cataclysm should be Year 28. However, according to a quest in Westfall (says Vanilla was 5 years ago) and a satyr on Mount Hyjal (says Third War was a decade ago), Cataclysm was year 30.

Regardless of when Cataclysm happened, MoP is a year after it. Right now it is either Year 29 or Year 31, depending on if Anduin's age or those Cata quests are more reliable.

tl;dr: assuming I did my math right (it's late and I'm not good at math in the first place), your character would be either 15 or 17 in the Second War and either 29 or 31 in the Third War.
Edited by Reignac on 4/18/2013 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
You got things a bit wrong there Reg.

The first war started when the dark portal opened true, but re reading the tides of darkness novel recently Lothar stated to terenas that Stormwind only saw their first Orc a year ago.

The second war itself took place within two months time span.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
-The First War started in the year 0 After Dark Portal.
-The Second War was at 6 ADP.
-The Alliance expedition to Draenor (Warcraft 2 expansion pack) was 8 ADP.
-The Scourging of Lordaeron and the Third War were year 20 ADP.
-Vanilla WoW was year 25 ADP.

...And here's where it gets a little messy.

According to Anduin's age, Cataclysm should be Year 28. However, according to a quest in Westfall (says Vanilla was 5 years ago) and a satyr on Mount Hyjal (says Third War was a decade ago), Cataclysm was year 30.

Regardless of when Cataclysm happened, MoP is a year after it. Right now it is either Year 29 or Year 31, depending on if Anduin's age or those Cata quests are more reliable.

tl;dr: assuming I did my math right (it's late and I'm not good at math in the first place), your character would be either 15 or 17 in the Second War and either 29 or 31 in the Third War.

I've always said it was year 31.
-4years to vanilla
-1 for vanilla
-2 for BC
-3for wrath

Just how I rationalize it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The first war started when the dark portal opened true, but re reading the tides of darkness novel recently Lothar stated to terenas that Stormwind only saw their first Orc a year ago.

Stormwind fell in about a year, as I understand it. The refugees went to Lordaeron.

It was still years before the Orcs invaded Khaz'modan.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
04/18/2013 10:21 AMPosted by Cártian
Kosak confirmed the Year 28 thing, saying the other two were just rough estimates.

For anything prior to Cataclysm, though, this is the most recent official timeline:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_%28from_official_site,_2007%29
Edited by Vegdrasil on 4/18/2013 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight

Stormwind fell in about a year, as I understand it. The refugees went to Lordaeron.

Read that book again. Stormwind saw its first orc and fell in the same year. Then it was estimated that the Horde would arrive in four to six weeks. The orcs arrive sooner then Lothar thought and he said as much. The battle all over lordearon took a week including cthe siege of capital city. Then the pushing to ironforge was another week and black rock spire siege was only a day long.

After that a week later they destroyed the dark portal.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage

Read that book again. Stormwind saw its first orc and fell in the same year. Then it was estimated that the Horde would arrive in four to six weeks. The orcs arrive sooner then Lothar thought and he said as much. The battle all over lordearon took a week including cthe siege of capital city. Then the pushing to ironforge was another week and black rock spire siege was only a day long.

After that a week later they destroyed the dark portal.

Retcons, Retcons everywhere!

http://www.wowpedia.org/Second_War
In the 6th year after the fall of Stormwind, the Horde began their northern offensive against the Alliance forces.

Thats where he's comming from.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Yeah, they definitely retconned the timeframe of Warcraft 1 and 2 to dramatically shorten it; I don't recall though whether they did it in Warcraft 3 or WoW, or sometime in between.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I know in thr original timeline it took the orcs six years to best Stormwind, in the new book which came after that wowpedia , the orcs took about roughly a year to destroy Stormwind. The second war took place from start ro finished within three months. Thus proving Lorderonian superior to their Stormwind counterparts.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'll have to reread Tides of Darkness, but I was under the impression there was a six year gap between The Last Guardian and the end of the First War.

I know the Second War was extremely short.

Third War is still Year 20 and Vanilla still Year 25.

Kosak confirmed the Year 28 thing, saying the other two were just rough estimates.

Blegh, I liked it being a longer gap more :(
Edited by Reignac on 4/18/2013 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I'll have to reread Tides of Darkness, but I was under the impression there was a six year gap between The Last Guardian and the end of the First War.

I know the Second War was extremely short.

Third War is still Year 20 and Vanilla still Year 25.

Blegh, I liked it being a longer gap more :(

Yep play close attention to the Lothar debreifing scene with the kings. He said they first encouter the orcs a year ago.
Edited by Crappytank on 4/18/2013 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Soo, If I'm following this right, she'd have been 15 in the Second War and 29 in the Third? Sorry :P, but we keep jumping around here and it's confusing me, lol.
Edited by Sameille on 4/18/2013 4:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Around that anyway. As you can probably tell by the discussion, the timeline's kinda muddy.
Reply Quote
Gotcha :P. I wasn't sure if everyone reached a solid conclusion or not xP. Thanks, though c:. I appreciate it. What I thought was the timeline is -completely- different than how it really is.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Soo, If I'm following this right, she'd have been 15 in the Second War and 29 in the Third? Sorry :P, but we keep jumping around here and it's confusing me, lol.
Sorry, let me lay things out a bit more clearly:

(see http://web.archive.org/web/20070116010622/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/timeline.html for references through TBC)
Year 0 - Dark Portal opens, First War begins
Year 6 - Second War
Year 8 - Second War part deux (Beyond the Dark Portal)
Year 20 - Third War
Year 25 - Vanilla WoW
Year 26 - The Burning Crusade
Year 27 - Wrath of the Lich King (as per the WotLK manual)
Year 28 - Cataclysm (Northrend campaign lasted about a year as per The Shattering, Deathwing emerged very shortly thereafter)
Year 29 - Dragon Soul raid ("Almost a year has passed since the corrupted Dragon Aspect burst forth from the Maelstorm to bring the Cataclysm down upon the mortal races." http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3550350 )
Year 30 - Mists of Pandaria (Metzen said it starts about a year after Deathwing's defeat)

So if you're 42 now, you were...
32 during the Third War
20 during the Second War
10 during the First War
Edited by Vegdrasil on 4/18/2013 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Awesome! Thanks for that, Veg. Sorry that I have a hard time comprehending things :P.

Now I feel like writing a backstory for Sam is going to be a LOT easier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]