Sandstorm seriously bugged - FYI

90 Undead Rogue
By description it makes it harder for pets to hit. And elementals are supposed to ignore it.

But right now in sandstorm elementals get double penalty. They hit for less damage, because sandstorm acts like a shield instead which elementals ignore on self, but elemental pets themselves get hit in sandstorm for full amount. So your opponent takes less damage, while you take full damage if you are elemental.

They really need to rethink the elemental racial. Why make all elemental plantlife require sunlight, but make them ignore it while sandstorm completely butchers elementals (and yes tehre are elementals that cast sandstorm)

Critho (blue) has a post on page 1 and another one on page 2 if you are looking for his responses.
Edited by Kenpo on 4/23/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Elementals also ignore the 10% accuracy penalty of Sandstorm... that's something.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Thats not a bug its working as intended.... and sand storm is not even the worst weather effect elementals ignore, sunlight for example 50% extra health and 25% extra healing yea I wish my plants could get some of that
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
He has a point though, elemental is the only racial I can think of that is a disadvantage about as often as it is an advantage. Some of the others are situational but they can't be worse than nothing. Meanwhile some families like undead, beast and flying have racials that have an impact on almost every fight they're involved in.

Changing it so that you were only immune to *harmful* weather effects but still got the beneficial ones would be pretty cool IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
That's what I think so too. Because when they try to fix it every time it just messes something up.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
If you don't like it don't use an elemental.

#rocketscience
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
still better than the aquatic racial
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I disagree: the aquatic racial either helps you slightly or does nothing. The elemental racial can actually hurt you.

Aquatic is still weak compared to most racials, but at least it's never worse than nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Fun fact. Elementals don't benefit from Call Lightning, but they can still be a victim of the extra damage.
Reply Quote
Fun fact. Elementals don't benefit from Call Lightning, but they can still be a victim of the extra damage.
It's actually the exact opposite.
Elementals don't take the extra lightning (mechanical) damage at all, however their attacks may still apply it.
Edited by Stax on 4/21/2013 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
04/21/2013 07:35 AMPosted by Stax
It's actually the exact opposite.
Elementals don't take the extra lightning (mechanical) damage at all, however their attacks may still apply it.

Yeah, you're correct.

Brainfart on my part.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
They just need to drop 'logic' from their priorities on the Elemental racial and make it ignore all negative effects and still gain all positive effects.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
It seems balanced to me.

Using an Elemental under Sandstorm is a bad idea, but using one under Lightning Storm or Scorched Earth is awesome. I think a lot of people don't understand how weather effects work, or how the racial interacts with the weather so people get cranky and complain. But I actually think it's a cool mechanic that benefits the smart player.

I agree that it is dumb to have the ability Sandstorm on an Elemental pet. It's like having an ability called "kill me quickly".
Reply Quote
100 Orc Rogue
UE
It seems balanced to me.

Using an Elemental under Sandstorm is a bad idea, but using one under Lightning Storm or Scorched Earth is awesome. I think a lot of people don't understand how weather effects work, or how the racial interacts with the weather so people get cranky and complain. But I actually think it's a cool mechanic that benefits the smart player.

I agree that it is dumb to have the ability Sandstorm on an Elemental pet. It's like having an ability called "kill me quickly".

Relax - it's just Kenpo. He has a history of only posting QQs about things he finds hard about pet battles.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We're going to be buffing some pet passives in a future patch, and elementals are on the list. We feel that the elemental passive is currently too confusing in that it is somewhat ambiguous with regard to direct effects of weather, but not effects that are not directly related to weather.

For example, if your opponent has a pet that gains an additional attack in a Blizzard, they will still get the additional attack against your elemental pet. This can feel bad in some cases and we want pet passives to always feel good and useful. We also feel that weather is one of the more fun and synergistic elements of Pet Battles, so at this point in time, we’re thinking of redesigning the elemental pet passive along the lines of a ~50% reduction in damage for the turn one is swapped in. Our goal being that we’d rather have a passive in place that increases the strategic depth of elemental pets, and is clear in its intention and functionality.

Keep in mind, we’re still evaluating the numbers and everything is subject to change, but we’d sincerely appreciate any constructive feedback you may have!
Reply Quote
04/22/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Crithto
so at this point in time, we’re thinking of redesigning the elemental pet passive along the lines of a ~50% reduction in damage for the turn one is swapped in.

Oh this is beautiful.

I'm also expecting an increase in health-dominant types of elemental pets (Pebble & Sandling, looking at you) for 'heavy-hitter soakers'.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Hopefully Aquatic pets are on that list too. :)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Rogue
UE
I have a feeling the only people who QQ about Sandstorm are the Lightning Storm / Mech double Turret combos. The team that can lock out most newcomer comps with ease.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Oh wow this is awesome to hear that Critho. You guys are really on top of this stuff.

Thanks for the information.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]