leveled my pally to be ret..

85 Goblin Shaman
should i just reroll? i rolled him to be a good damage dealer, but apparently dealing damage without CDs isnt something blizzard wants rets to do. i hate being a 2-5 minute class. im thinking about just speccing into holy instead of rerolling though.. just amazes me how blizz cant get ret pally damage right.
Reply Quote
dunno what to tell you, but you are doing it wrong

most dps specs do well some exceed expectations but if you arent performing well its prolly the space that occupies the seat in front of your computer

i know i sound like a jerk but there are many things to look up on your class before you come crying on the forums
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

most dps specs do well some exceed expectations but if you arent performing well its prolly the space that occupies the seat in front of your computer

i know i sound like a jerk but there are many things to look up on your class before you come crying on the forums

This person is high on something.

Rets have been setup around CDs more so than any other class. On top of this they do lower sustained over time than the majority of specs. They are still workable through their utility but, if you are after numbers, you are barking up the wrong pink tree.

Rerolling may not do much good in the long run. The CD based dps model is spreading to other specs. If you actually like Ret, stick with it and make sure you focus on your overall utility instead of using meters as a gauge for your usefulness.

They have their uses and its rare to see a complaint about a Ret being in the group. It's not a bad spec overall, it's just not setup like traditional dps and tends to meter poorly because of all the highs and lows numbers go through for it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

This person is high on something.

Rets have been setup around CDs more so than any other class. On top of this they do lower sustained over time than the majority of specs. They are still workable through their utility but, if you are after numbers, you are barking up the wrong pink tree.

Rerolling may not do much good in the long run. The CD based dps model is spreading to other specs. If you actually like Ret, stick with it and make sure you focus on your overall utility instead of using meters as a gauge for your usefulness.

They have their uses and its rare to see a complaint about a Ret being in the group. It's not a bad spec overall, it's just not setup like traditional dps and tends to meter poorly because of all the highs and lows numbers go through for it.

This ^
Reply Quote
70 Human Death Knight
Of all the melee classes, a Ret Paladin is the one I would desire most in the group. Followed closely by a Feral Druid, and then a DK or Warrior.

Ret is fine in PvE, and in PvP it really isn't as bad as people who complain say it is. Its just a more support based style of DPS so it doesn't work in just any comp.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
i know from a DK stand point, we don't really have any " sexy " cds. army has very minimal windows of use during most fights, so is used on the pull the majority of the time. empower rune weapon doesn't even have a graphic, and pillar of frost is a flat dmg increase with some blue around us. its not all that " flashy " from a gameplay stand point.

but when a ret pops wings, you know your in for a bad time. golden man also does some pretty decent dmg too now.

at the end of the day, if your rerolling permanently, and want to perform, youll most likely find ways to make it work regardless of the potential dps of a spec from sims.

I guess what im trying to get at: play what you like, and if you enjoy it, stick with it. if you don't, find something else that you enjoy. this is a game afterall, and the difference of 5k dps between top of the dps and middle of the pack isn't so much afterall.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
If you didn't want a CD dependant class why would you roll Ret?

Were you just entirely clueless to how the spec played?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

youre basically saying

"you should of known ret is a !@#$ty spec"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I like Ret, it is an easy to master spec and aesthetically appealing to use Holy as damage.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Your problems with ret are most likely gear related coupled with a severe lack of experience, little shaman alt.

Read up on ret gearing, gemming, enchanting, etc. Understand your rotational priorities and how they will change with gear. Figure out which talents work best on which fights: you should be changing them often. Learn how your powerful utility can (and will) make or break a kill. Ret is an extremely versatile DPS spec and a good ret will always be an asset to the raid.

You should also learn how to read meters properly instead of assuming the proc-fishing multidotters and cleavers are doing important damage. Hint: they're not.

theres also pvp in this game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Your problems with ret are most likely gear related coupled with a severe lack of experience, little shaman alt.

Read up on ret gearing, gemming, enchanting, etc. Understand your rotational priorities and how they will change with gear. Figure out which talents work best on which fights: you should be changing them often. Learn how your powerful utility can (and will) make or break a kill. Ret is an extremely versatile DPS spec and a good ret will always be an asset to the raid.

You should also learn how to read meters properly instead of assuming the proc-fishing multidotters and cleavers are doing important damage. Hint: they're not.

theres also pvp in this game.

Playing some random BGs recently... and I have to say the ret pally (especially the ones on my team) are the most worthless, terrible, piles of garbag--- *suddenly I get a BoSacrifice, or a Hand of Protection while that rogue / warrior is ripping me apart. He jumps on the rogue, mage slows him, HoF's out of nova... I silence mage. More flashy stuff and we clean house*

Best friends I have ever had, and he can be my wingman anyday.

youre basically saying

More like, it is a burst (cooldown) class. And really always has been. If you're looking for a more sustained melee?

Honestly I don't really know. Rogue / DK / Enchance seem to have the least cooldowns. It used to be WW monks, before the changes of 5.2 hit, now they're more cooldown dependent. Have to wait until we get some folks more into the melee playstyle into the thread.
Edited by Acteon on 4/5/2013 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Love my ret, and i have !@#$tay gear. Never had any issues pvping before my break either just havent gotten back into it. We have a ton of utility (2x all of our hands and off-heals that arent small), and when we do pop cds something or someone is going to hurt. Try harder
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
i hate being a 2-5 minute class

04/04/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Mahdougie
should i just reroll?

Yes.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

youre basically saying

Maybe that's what you read, but it's not what I said.

Ret's not !@#$ty. It's not the best melee but it's still decent.

If your results with the class are that abysmal chances are it's you who's doing something incorrect.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Why do I suspect that OP can't keep Inquisition up?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What the OP says is actually true, when my CDs are not available all my damage is doing is dropping, sustain is actually pretty low, you'll see it if you run realtime in recount. Life also gets worse if you are unlucky and can't crit to save your life. I think it would be nice if TV would always crit or we had something similar to Frost DKs crit proc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]