Holy PvP Guide

90 Human Paladin
Can anyone direct me to on please? I am working on a holy pvp set and to be honest have no idea what to gem, enchant, reforge, glyph, etc.

Thanks a lot
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's recommended that you gem as much Resilience as possible. 432 Spirit in the Meta socket, 80 Intellect and 160 Resilience in red sockets, pure Resilience in the yellows, etc.
You don't have to do that, but it's pretty much the best use of gems. You'll get a decent amount of Spirit merely from gear, although I use Turbid Wild Jades (160 Spirit and 160 Resil), because it fits the blue sockets and gives Resilience.
What's the use of having 10k Spirit if you don't stay alive long enough to gain the full benefit.

You should reforge into Spirit if possible, and then either Crit or Mastery.
Mastery aids the 15s absorption shielding and benefits all healing done, no matter how big or small. Crit's pretty obvious. Double the heal if you roll the dice well.
Mastery usually wins all in PvE, but the reason that some people stack Crit for PvP is because of the burst-damage you encounter.
You can drop a 50k heal on a friendly and give them a 15k absorption shield, but it's useless if they're not going to encounter an enemy target within the next 15 seconds. Even if they do, 15k's a drop in the DPS bucket, and it won't do anything for them in a tough fight. Unlike a 100k heal if you crit. But Crit is always random, and you might not get that life-saving heal-crit when you want it most.

Greater Pearlescent Spellthread (something like that) for the legs (or the similar Tailoring enchant, cheaper if you have it), and Greater Crane Wing Inscription for the shoulders. 180 Intellect on the cloak and bracers (bracers is a bit expensive, so that's optional), Pandaren's Step for boots, Superior Resilience on the chest, 165 off-hand Intellect, Jade Spirit if you can, Windsong if you can't.
And I think 170 Mastery for Bracers and Gloves are second-best options. Not sure if there's something better for gloves.

Glyphs are really up to you. I like Divine Protection for when the entire enemy team is focus targetting me (I usually have to use a few other defensive cool-downs as well), as well as Flash of Light and Beacon of Light, for swapping Beacons without triggering the GCD.
Protector of the Innocent is helpful, I suppose; same can be said for Divinity and Turn Evil.
Edited by Outro on 4/4/2013 11:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ditto - well said

Only add that the Relic trinket very useful on spirit side with big Int buff - better than PvP trinks

I am not in favor to stak spirit as much but I am not playing at high levels so perhaps would run out of mana in long rated games. However, if careful with FH and HR, and use Plea, I find stacking mixture of crit and mastery to boost throughput so much that way less casting needed.

Expect to be targetted and CCd so instants FTW - so always reforge out of haste IMO
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
oh - check out skill-capped site for guides on this, plus videos. Very helpful..

dont go by Noxxic........
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Agreed with Outro. Like she said haste is near useless in BG's/Arenas. Difference between getting a 1.3 second cast off and a 2 second cast is negligible when you get silenced/interrupted. So casting at all in an arena is ill-advised unless you're relatively sure you won't be stunned/counter-spelled.

Crit also helps when you crit with holy shock and get infusion of light. A less than one second DL/holy radiance is better than nothing.

Personally I don't care for mastery, I just reforge into spirit and crit. Mastery is like throwing a piece of paper over my teammates and hoping it will reduce the damage they take :/

And gems like she said, spirit and resilience. I also prefer int and pvp power/resil though, not one for spirit gems, but I hardly ever find myself going OOM in an arena. If I am, normally it's because there's another healer, and normally I can find time to go and drink if I REALLY have too :}
Edited by Aleaina on 4/5/2013 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/237408-atmospheres-holy-paladin-guide-52/

I've read that one and I thought it was a good guide.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
It's recommended that you gem as much Resilience as possible. 432 Spirit in the Meta socket, 80 Intellect and 160 Resilience in red sockets, pure Resilience in the yellows, etc.
You don't have to do that, but it's pretty much the best use of gems. You'll get a decent amount of Spirit merely from gear, although I use Turbid Wild Jades (160 Spirit and 160 Resil), because it fits the blue sockets and gives Resilience.
What's the use of having 10k Spirit if you don't stay alive long enough to gain the full benefit.

You should reforge into Spirit if possible, and then either Crit or Mastery.
Mastery aids the 15s absorption shielding and benefits all healing done, no matter how big or small. Crit's pretty obvious. Double the heal if you roll the dice well.
Mastery usually wins all in PvE, but the reason that some people stack Crit for PvP is because of the burst-damage you encounter.
You can drop a 50k heal on a friendly and give them a 15k absorption shield, but it's useless if they're not going to encounter an enemy target within the next 15 seconds. Even if they do, 15k's a drop in the DPS bucket, and it won't do anything for them in a tough fight. Unlike a 100k heal if you crit. But Crit is always random, and you might not get that life-saving heal-crit when you want it most.

Greater Pearlescent Spellthread (something like that) for the legs (or the similar Tailoring enchant, cheaper if you have it), and Greater Crane Wing Inscription for the shoulders. 180 Intellect on the cloak and bracers (bracers is a bit expensive, so that's optional), Pandaren's Step for boots, Superior Resilience on the chest, 165 off-hand Intellect, Jade Spirit if you can, Windsong if you can't.
And I think 170 Mastery for Bracers and Gloves are second-best options. Not sure if there's something better for gloves.

Glyphs are really up to you. I like Divine Protection for when the entire enemy team is focus targetting me (I usually have to use a few other defensive cool-downs as well), as well as Flash of Light and Beacon of Light, for swapping Beacons without triggering the GCD.
Protector of the Innocent is helpful, I suppose; same can be said for Divinity and Turn Evil.

Very well said.
Spot on with gemming and enchanting tho it is worth mentioning that for trinket choice, the darkmoon card relic of chi or whatever it's called is superior to the pvp on use trinket.

As for the crit vs mastery debate..
Mastery wins in my opinion.
Firstly, crit is RNG and not consistent like mastery is. Crit can make or break a game but the fact you have no control over when it crits means those game saving crit heals are random.
Secondly,
In short, pallies are notorious for over healing and over healing a lot.
Crit won't fix that, only make it worse.
Mastery on the other hand will decrease your overhealing while increasing your absorbs ..

There's a longer version to it but I can't be bothered typing it.

Lastly, glyphs.
Really it's all situational and depends on what comp you are VSing.
For rbgs I'd say run with
- flash of light
- beacon of light
- turn evil

For arena I think these 2 are almost mandatory:
-flash of light
- beacon of light

If vsing a melee cleave then glyph of divine protection is awesome for being trained.
Otherwise if vsing a dk, lock or shadow.. Turn evil is your best friend.
Any team that has a Mage, I suggest not taking divine protection glyph.
Perhaps pick up protector of the innocent if the opposition team has a Mage and a none fearable classes/pet classes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]