Why doesnt the banned name list evolve?

90 Human Rogue
When people try to use names that are sexually explicit, drug related or otherwise against Blizzards rules more often than not the system wont let them but people often use alt code letters to bypass the naming policy. My question is that when someone has an inappropriate name and is reported a GM looks at the name decides in breach of the rules and puts in place a forced name change, what then happens to this name?

The problem is that another person on another server can use that same name and until its reported, why isn't this list of names that we cant use on the character creation screen constantly evolving each patch to include the names that all GM's have found to be inappropriate over the previous few months? I think it would only take a few months for this list to include every possible variation using alt codes and incorrect spelling for reports for naming violations to almost stop all together with.

I know some people will say harden up grow some thicker skin or whatever but its not the point rules are there for a reason and i think that if the system evolved to add the new variations as time goes on it will eventually save Blizzard a lot of time answering reports on naming violations.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
My personal opinion on the naming policy is that Blizz only has it to cover their rears. I've never gotten the impression that they actually care.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
1) Because that's fairly annoying to code and could take a ton of space.

2), and this is the big one,

My personal opinion on the naming policy is that Blizz only has it to cover their rears. I've never gotten the impression that they actually care.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
1) Because that's fairly annoying to code and could take a ton of space.

2), and this is the big one,

Three: These.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Because they don't really care until you do... and you don't really care until you file a report.

So they only care when a report is filed.
Edited by Snowfox on 4/6/2013 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I think its pretty important to keep peoples names and trade chat somewhat clean from filth as its the first thing new people see when they start playing the game, the more the community see others getting away with the sense of lawlessness sets in and people just do and say whatever the hell they like with no regard for the rules.

Edit: All im really proposing here is that the system evolve so they only deal with the same name once rather than a GM having to deal with the same name potentially hundreds of times over the course of a year on every server. So once a person has taken the time to report a name and a GM agrees the name gets added to the evolving list and cant be used anywhere in the future.
Edited by Vanish on 4/6/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Because they don't really care until you do... and you don't really care until you file a report.

So they only care when a report is filed.

My friends and I have filed reports for TONS of terrible names and nothing has happened, they pick and choose the report option does nothing..
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

Edit: All im really proposing here is that the system evolve so they only deal with the same name once rather than a GM having to deal with the same name potentially hundreds of times over the course of a year on every server. So once a person has taken the time to report a name and a GM agrees the name gets added to the evolving list and cant be used anywhere in the future.

I don't really agree - because that creates an ever smaller pool of "allowed words"

A name is only offensive, brutally bluntly, when someone is offended by it. However someone being offended doesn't necessarily mean it is actually offensive... it's subjective. What offends one person may not another, and the gm may agree in that context it's enough and so forces a name change.... but in many other contexts nobody may actually report it because to them it's not offensive.

... but I tend to be very libertarian-anarchist when it comes to language. I accept that sometimes society wants restrictions on things, but I'm going to fight against those restrictions as much as I ooking can.

My friends and I have filed reports for TONS of terrible names and nothing has happened, they pick and choose the report option does nothing..

Well, the GM still has to agree it is offensive. Reporting isn't a guarantee of forcing a name change.
Edited by Snowfox on 4/6/2013 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Just report them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

I don't really agree - because that creates an ever smaller pool of "allowed words"

A name is only offensive, brutally bluntly, when someone is offended by it. However someone being offended doesn't necessarily mean it is actually offensive... it's subjective. What offends one person may not another, and the gm may agree in that context it's enough and so forces a name change.... but in many other contexts nobody may actually report it because to them it's not offensive.

... but I tend to be very libertarian-anarchist when it comes to language. I accept that sometimes society wants restrictions on things, but I'm going to fight against those restrictions as much as I ooking can.

Well, the GM still has to agree it is offensive. Reporting isn't a guarantee of forcing a name change.

So say 2 people have a similar name, one is flagged and the other is not just because the gm has favoritism? double standards ....
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
04/06/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Snowfox
A name is only offensive, brutally bluntly, when someone is offended by it. However someone being offended doesn't necessarily mean it is actually offensive... it's subjective.

I think if a hunter names himself ßlowjob once and i report him a GM then follows up and forces a name change it shouldn't be allowed anywhere. Why would you like that name to be free on another server?
Edited by Vanish on 4/6/2013 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
So say 2 people have a similar name, one is flagged and the other is not just because the gm has favoritism? double standards ....

In the real world, different judges might rule differently on the same case.

It also comes down to whether or not it was reported. If Player A was reported but Player B was not, then only Player A might get flagged. Player B would not. GM discretion doesn't even come into that scenario.

I think if a hunter names himself ßlowjob once and i report him a GM then follows up and forces a name change it shouldn't be allowed anywhere. why would you like that name to be free on another server?

Because you cherry-picked an example that you think would -always- be offensive.

However not all names are like that. Many are much more subjective.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
But this is what im talking about names that are 100% clear cut cases of people using alt code code letters or spelling to use names which are sexually inappropriate/drug related or otherwise against the rules. Blizzards naming policy isn't all grey area and open to GM's discretion surely the clean cut names and their variations could be added to the list to cut down on GM's wasting time having to deal with the same name multiple times across several servers.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Let's say 4 tickets get opened after report clicks fail. 2 tickets each name say idk Hornishammy and Hornicow one of these names gets flagged the other does not after months one name was force changed the other remains yet they are the same difference how is that fair?

Both names should be changed PERIOD regardless of GM favorites...
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
But this is what im talking about names that are 100% clear cut cases of people using alt code code letters or spelling to use names which are sexually inappropriate/drug related or otherwise against the rules. Blizzards naming policy isn't all grey area and open to GM's discretion surely the clean cut names and their variations could be added to the list to cut down on GM's wasting time having to deal with the same name multiple times across several servers.

Honestly, I just kind of don't really care enough to push for that. I'm not all that worried about, out there, on some other realm, someone might get offended by a name. It's not that big a deal to me personally.

So... while I'm not saying you don't have a point... I'm just saying I'm apathetic towards it, and I'm not sure why it is a concern to you what happens on other realms, personally. I suppose it's good that you think you are trying to help.

It's just... well, I care a lot more about exploiters, botters, and griefers... than naughty names.

So, don't take that as an attack please. I'm just stating my apathy towards it, which may not be all that different from Blizzard's.
Edited by Snowfox on 4/6/2013 7:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm glad you pointed out where you were coming from i was getting a little frustrated with you defending them. I'm just of the firm belief that people feeling they can get away with naughty names that are clearly against the rules and other minor infractions that it creates a feeling of lawlessness. I guess my suggestion was more about making the reporting of names more efficient and at the same time cutting down on the need for GM intervention in the future to a point where they have almost all the bad variations built into the system.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm glad you pointed out where you were coming from i was getting a little frustrated with you defending them. I'm just of the firm belief that people feeling they can get away with naughty names that are clearly against the rules and other minor infractions that it creates a feeling of lawlessness. I guess my suggestion was more about making the reporting of names more efficient and at the same time cutting down on the need for GM intervention in the future to a point where they have almost all the bad variations built into the system.

Well, in the software world we have the notion of a "do no harm" release... which is basically the first phase of software rollout, done in a way you can observe behavior without it having much negative effect.

So... as a "do no harm" test of this approach of putting those names in the db... I'd think it should start just at the character creation screen. First don't let people make -new- characters with it, see how that goes....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
/tinfoil hat

Maybe they enjoy seeing what people can come up with, so they refuse to alter the code/write new code-- simply to entertain themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
When people try to use names that are sexually explicit, drug related or otherwise against Blizzards rules more often than not the system wont let them but people often use alt code letters to bypass the naming policy. My question is that when someone has an inappropriate name and is reported a GM looks at the name decides in breach of the rules and puts in place a forced name change, what then happens to this name?

The problem is that another person on another server can use that same name and until its reported, why isn't this list of names that we cant use on the character creation screen constantly evolving each patch to include the names that all GM's have found to be inappropriate over the previous few months? I think it would only take a few months for this list to include every possible variation using alt codes and incorrect spelling for reports for naming violations to almost stop all together with.

I know some people will say harden up grow some thicker skin or whatever but its not the point rules are there for a reason and i think that if the system evolved to add the new variations as time goes on it will eventually save Blizzard a lot of time answering reports on naming violations.

It's alot easier to just simply make that person change their name than it is to code the virtually countless names that are bound to pop into a file to block them. All something like what you're asking would do, while it may be well intentioned on your part, is create unnecessary space that could be devoted to better things within the game. Also the quote below is another thing.

If you want a language argument as to why it doesn't change then let me pose this to you. When you use an alt coded letter you're technically changing the way the word is pronounced and as such it's not the original offensive name. I've only seen about 2 names that I thought worthy enough to put in a ticket on and that's since I came back to the game back in the ulduar tier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]