PC Performance in WoW

90 Human Paladin
So I recently built my first rig. Here's the specs.

FX8350
XFX R-7970 Double Dissipation Black Edition
16GB G.Skill 1600 9CS RAM
Biostar TA970 Mobo
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Secondary 1TB WD Caviar Black for storage
Hyper212 Evo
Seasonic 660W Plat fully modular PSU
Dell 24" 59.9 Hz 6ms GTG Overdrive monitor

I'm trying to figure out why my FPS in WoW at 1080p with Ultra is dipping between 40 and 60. I would think a rig with a CPU, GPU, RAM capacity/speed, and SSD performance like this would be able to easily hit framerates well above 60 even at ultra settings, plus mods. I get the impression that I'm bottlenecking somewhere, most likely the mobo. It's also limited by some issues I've had trying to overclock my GPU and CPU, which again makes me think it's the motherboard.

Anyone have any ideas? Feel free to snark away on the components; I'll wait patiently for an answer with some actual substance.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
This may sound trite, but try reducing just your shadows down to mediumish and leaving the rest the same.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This may sound trite, but try reducing just your shadows down to mediumish and leaving the rest the same.

Okay. I'll give that a shot and get back to you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Do you mean that this is your first PC build?

Did you load the all of the chipset and sata controller drivers?

I mean that it is the first PC I ever assembled from individual components that I researched and purchased. Not sure if that's different from what you said.

I would think so. I updated my mobo with all drivers and BIOS updates from a CD. Is there another way I can make sure all that stuff you said is updated?
Edited by Donahue on 4/8/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I would think so. I updated my mobo with all drivers and BIOS updates from a CD. Is there another way I can make sure all that stuff you said is updated?

Go to the mobo maker's website, the stuff on the CD is almost never up to date and don't forget to update the graphics card drivers from the website as well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The people over at the Games, Gaming and Hardware forums can be of some assistance. That's where I always go, I will link you to it and request a redirect.

Games, Gaming, and Hardware Forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
04/08/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Razortusk

Go to the mobo maker's website, the stuff on the CD is almost never up to date and don't forget to update the graphics card drivers from the website as well.

To be completely honest, it's usually not a problem to just use the drivers that come with it (unless it is already a known problem with that specific product). I get really lazy and usually don't update them lol. I still run things perfectly fine usually.

To the OP, on some rare occasions, graphical lag can be the result of something on Blizzards end (buggy code in patch or whatever). There was that issue with shadows at max a long time ago, which I think was fixed, but such problems may still exist depending on hardware/drivers.

It's also possible that some component isn't performing as well as it should (like you indicated about the mobo). For example, perhaps your CPU is maxing a dominant single core and practically ignores the remaining seven. I believe I read of a Phenom quad-core that had that problem a while ago.

Download a program like CPU-Z to gather a little more information about your hardware and its performance.
Reply Quote
35 Human Hunter
Get the latest drivers and enable in catalyst the overdrive. Also if you are in a crowded city, you will probably get a drop. I have 7870 and in stormwind fps is around 60. As soon as I leave the city it goes up to 100 and more.

BTW here are some tips:
http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/top10intro.html
Edited by Croom on 4/8/2013 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/08/2013 12:18 PMPosted by Kiero

To be completely honest, it's usually not a problem to just use the drivers that come with it (unless it is already a known problem with that specific product). I get really lazy and usually don't update them lol. I still run things perfectly fine usually.

To the OP, on some rare occasions, graphical lag can be the result of something on Blizzards end (buggy code in patch or whatever). There was that issue with shadows at max a long time ago, which I think was fixed, but such problems may still exist depending on hardware/drivers.

It's also possible that some component isn't performing as well as it should (like you indicated about the mobo). For example, perhaps your CPU is maxing a dominant single core and practically ignores the remaining seven. I believe I read of a Phenom quad-core that had that problem a while ago.

Download a program like CPU-Z to gather a little more information about your hardware and its performance.

Alright. I mean I'm gathering information from other users with less powerful components, and they seem to be registering anywhere from 60 to 80 FPS.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

Alright. I mean I'm gathering information from other users with less powerful components, and they seem to be registering anywhere from 60 to 80 FPS.

Who knows what settings they are running at. Sure they may be getting 60-80 but are also on low or medium settings which is not helpful. I know WoW is old but now a days it is a pretty intense game espcially in main cities I expect a big drop in frames. The moment I leave it goes back up to 80+. There is so many factors besides just your components when it comes to MMO's.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Who knows what settings they are running at. Sure they may be getting 60-80 but are also on low or medium settings which is not helpful. I know WoW is old but now a days it is a pretty intense game espcially in main cities I expect a big drop in frames. The moment I leave it goes back up to 80+. There is so many factors besides just your components when it comes to MMO's.

No, no. I made sure to ask that they were running at ultra with the same res as me. Same multisampling as well, and what they were doing. While I was staring out at the distant Pandarian landscape getting 45-50 FPS, they were in a 10 man at 60+.
Edited by Donahue on 4/8/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue

As Snowfox pointed out, it's possible that the Shadows could be causing your problem, and is likely to be the reason why lower performance computers reach higher FPS. Unless you meant powerful computers with slightly less potential than what you use, then it's definitely something specific to your hardware lol. Edit: that last part is what you meant apparently lol.

Keep an eye on what else is running too. Certain incompatibilities exist with specific programs that could cause that lag, such as antivirus read/write settings. Something as simple as downloaded WoW addons conflicting with the game, or said programs, can be your problem. Do you experience lower FPS with other games at max settings? Particularly higher performance demanding games.

Also, my mention about the default drivers being okay is very situational. Encountering problems like yours would be enough for me to just go ahead and download updated drivers from the manufacturers website. From personal experience on updating drivers, while it tends to not solve my problems, there's really no harm in doing so (though there's some rare cases where new drivers can cause problems in areas that were fine before). It's really just about finding that stable driver update (be it an old or new one). This is partly why I'm so lazy about updating lol.
Edited by Kiero on 4/8/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I assume you're at 1920x1080.

AMD has always lagged a bit behind Nvidia and Intel in World of Warcraft, especially at that resolution. It's not something isolated with the recent 7 series gpu and Vishera CPU or anything, but historically it's been that way for a long time. Regardless, something about certain areas in Pandaria gives me randomly low-ish frame rates, particularly outside of 2 moons, no matter how populated it is/not. Random dips in performance like that are more of an optimization issue, not a patch nor hardware issue.

Just a source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-15.html
^That's with a GTX 680, which tends to perform better in WoW.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
I went to upgrade my 2x HD 6990's with 2x HD 7970 and my FPS made a significant drop. My guess is its either a driver issue or a hardware Issue. AMD seems to make Good cards every other generation. The 5000 series were messed up. Then the 6000 series was slightly improved fixed versions of the 5000 series. The 7000 series seems to have issues and the 8000 series will most likely be fixed versions of the 7000 series. So i am just going to wait for the next gen to upgrade
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I assume you're at 1920x1080.

AMD has always lagged a bit behind Nvidia and Intel in World of Warcraft, especially at that resolution. It's not something isolated with the recent 7 series gpu and Vishera CPU or anything, but historically it's been that way for a long time. Regardless, something about certain areas in Pandaria gives me randomly low-ish frame rates, particularly outside of 2 moons, no matter how populated it is/not. Random dips in performance like that are more of an optimization issue, not a patch nor hardware issue.

Just a source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-15.html
^That's with a GTX 680, which tends to perform better in WoW.

This as well. I forgot to specify what I meant by "hardware/drivers" in my first reply.
Reply Quote
28 Undead Mage
Go to a PC hardware forum where people know what they're talking about. All you get here are the people that read PC World and think they know what they are doing.
Reply Quote
63 Troll Hunter
OP posted a thread the other day about this. The FX 8350 is simply not going to compete with the I5 or in some cases (WoW) with the I3. It's just the way it is.

Think of it this way: You built a rally car (WRX) and want to know why a car like a Z06 Corvette outperforms your Rally Car in a drag race...You bought a car (cpu) that does a lot of different things well (acceleration/handling/etc.), but can't compete with a car with a huge v8 when it comes to driving fast in a straight line (WoW/SC2/etc.).

You can't compare the two...If you're building a rig for WoW and gaming in general the I5 chip is your best choice. If you're building a rig to game/encode/stream etc. then you have two reasonable options: the FX 8350 at $179-$199 or the I7 3770K at $319-$339...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]