DOTA 2 has Aussie servers

90 Human Warlock
http://www.gosugamers.net/wow/news.php?id=22460

Australian servers added

Players thought they had to wait one more week for the next patch, but Valve surprises everyone with a new patch - and servers for the Australian region.

The long awaited Australian servers have now been added, making it easier for the "Aussies" to play Dota 2.

The rest of the patch brings barely any changes. The clock now has a Nighstalker theme to it when NS is in-game and it turns night. In addition, the exploit using Clockwerk's cogs to push Roshan out of the Roshpit has been removed.

The list of companies that has Aussie servers for its Oceanic gamer playerbase, is getting quite large, with one notable exception.

No prizes for guessing who.
Reply Quote
It's funny, what has Blizzard done with pages full of forum threads asking, begging for Aussie servers? Constantly ignored them, closed them, made excuses for years.

What did Valve do with pages full of forum threads asking, begging for Aussie servers? Delivered in a matter of months.

Admittedly dota servers are very different creatures to WoW databases, but I'm sure in the amount of time Australians have been playing WoW, Blizzard really could have figured out something if they put in the effort.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Shaman
Do people not realise that Official Oceanic soil based server pose a real threat to the Oceanic player base?

Would you lose your nose to spite your face?

Let me throw a few things out there:
  • LFR queue times
  • LFD queue times
  • PvP queue times
  • Economy + AH stock + prices = ??

• Just saying......there is more to wanting something for the sake of wanting it, then there is reality.
    Edited by Taemek on 4/16/2013 9:09 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    o people not realise that Official Oceanic soil based server pose a real threat to the Oceanic player base?

Would you lose your nose to spite your face?

Let me throw a few things out there:
    LFR queue timesLFD queue timesPvP queue timesEconomy + AH stock + prices = ??

Just saying......there is more to wanting something for the sake of wanting it, then there is reality.

Well...if we ever get an answer from Blizzard, if they ever have the courtesy to come and talk to us, if we ever get any attention and at least some idea of why they cant do it...we'll know, wont we?

But to this day they refuse to do us even that one small thing.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid

The list of companies that has Aussie servers for its Oceanic gamer playerbase, is getting quite large, with one notable exception.

No prizes for guessing who.

No, please, for all our sakes, list those companies which have Australian servers maintained and paid for by the companies themselves (not servers run by individuals or ISP's for games such as CoD, BF3 etc etc)....
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    I've already done so in previous threads

COD is run by Activision, you know, Blizzards parent company? Blizzard runs Singapore servers for Starcraft 2.

DOTA by Valve ,League of Legends - Riot Games,,America's Army Enemy Territory, Open Arena, Quake Live, Minecraft, Vindictus....

want me to go on?
    Edited by Mirisanelle on 4/17/2013 1:37 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Rogue
    I've been playing Dota 2 on the Australian servers for ages now, isn't this kind of a late post to put on now?
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    I've already done so in previous threads

COD is run by Activision, you know, Blizzards parent company? Blizzard runs Singapore servers for Starcraft 2.

DOTA by Valve ,League of Legends - Riot Games,,America's Army Enemy Territory, Open Arena, Quake Live, Minecraft, Vindictus....

want me to go on?

COD doesn't have servers - they're run by individuals or companies using the source that's provided by Activision. That's of no cost to Activision whatsoever. That's the same for most of those games you listed. Hence why I asked.

Let's compare apples with apples -

Warhammer - set up and run by the company itself - failed.
    SW:TOR - same again - failed.
    Now we have LoL - to early to tell
    DOTA2 - again, to early to tell and it's being run by Steam. Comparable? Meh doubt it.

You're all doing the same thing - trying to base an argument on past and current scenarios which do not match or cannot win over Blizzard. There's a reason why Blizzard have SEA for SC2 and Diablo - have you seen how much money it brings in in eSports? How much money does WoW bring in again in eSports? Oh yeah.... very, very little.

There is no justification, so late in the game, for Blizzard to set up servers in Australia. They could not justify it to their Board, Shareholders or even from a network perspective. 1.1 million Oceanic toons. At an average of 10 toons per account. With a dropping subscriber base.... 100k x an average of say $13 per month - seems like a lot but when you factor in the risk and their anticipated return period on their prospective costs to set up here, well it could be 5+ years before they recoup those costs. Who would spend that kind of money on a game that's almost 10 years old and is due for replacement?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]