Gold spamming in calendar , How to stop it?

90 Dwarf Death Knight
I kept getting gold spam event on my alt character , I reported spam all of it but sometimes it comes back again? How can i make it stop?
Edited by Formaghagen on 4/13/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Reporting them for now is best. There should be an option for that in the calendar interface by right-clicking.

This seems to have gotten very popular in the last few days, and I have alerted the folks that need to address this.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Here's hoping a re-fix is brought in soon. This was an issue two years ago, and then it stopped. Now it's started back up again. I've gotten quite a few instances of this and reported them all, but it's still aggravating to have to go through all of my calendar months and report each one individually.

Perhaps the best fix would be an option to be put into the game that would be enabled by default (but still user selectable/deselectable) that allows only invites from the player's own guild. This would pretty much cut off the head of the snake while leaving the calendar system fully in tact for its intended purpose without being overly restrictive.

Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
They need to add an option to the calendar to only allow guild, guild & friends, friends only, and everyone. Just like how they have an auto-decline guild invites because of the spam/abuse issues.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Yes this just happened in our guild and they bypassed everyone who has the ability to delete it.

Forced me to make one of the more trusted guildies an officer to be able to delete it off the calendar and then I couldn't demote the guildie so had to kick them get them re-invited back and placed back to their current guild status. Was a REAL PAIN.

Thankfully the guildie was a decent person and was very co-operative.

Need to fix this ASAP Blizzard, don't let anyone get sucked in or duped into going to the farmers keylogger riddled web sites.
Edited by Rafiell on 4/13/2013 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh god. I just checked, and I had one every freaking month until February. Gee, that isn't annoying.

On a serious note, why do advertisers think annoying the #### out of us will make us give them money?
Reply Quote
89 Undead Mage
It takes zero effort once set up for spammers to flood spam.

If 1000' phish attempts go out and even 1 person goes to the site then they win, they get a free account to do more damage with.

Its a number game, they're hoping to get someone ignorant of whats going on to give them their account info.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've received several today as well. I attempted to report the player on several invites via the option in the guild calendar but got a internal calendar error and was unable to. I see you're aware of the issue so hopefully soon I'll be rid of these pests :) thanks

edit: bad typing
Edited by Louhie on 4/13/2013 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
68 Tauren Paladin
I noticed this this morning. Logged on to a year full of goldspam events I've been invited to.

Never seen this before. The goldspammers are getting creative.
Reply Quote
68 Tauren Paladin
On a serious note, why do advertisers think annoying the #### out of us will make us give them money?
The first ever major email spammers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Canter_and_Martha_Siegel

The couple claimed in a December 1994 interview to have gained 1,000 new clients and "made $100,000 off an ad that cost them only pennies".
Reply Quote
Process I had to go through to get this off my calendar:
Decline invitation (trying to report without doing this first generates an error)
Report player
Repeat each month on the 25th when an invitation was placed for the entire year by this same individual, I assume automatically.
Would it be possible to fix this so that deleting and reporting would remove all invites rather than having to manually remove each one? And to allow reporting without having to decline first? Lots of steps to get rid of unwanted spam!
Even better, to make invites an opt-in only so that you could refuse and report rather than just have them drop on your calendar? Or block invites entirely if you are an antisocial old goat like myself?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Process I had to go through to get this off my calendar:
Decline invitation (trying to report without doing this first generates an error)
Report player
Repeat each month on the 25th when an invitation was placed for the entire year by this same individual, I assume automatically.
Would it be possible to fix this so that deleting and reporting would remove all invites rather than having to manually remove each one? And to allow reporting without having to decline first? Lots of steps to get rid of unwanted spam!
Even better, to make invites an opt-in only so that you could refuse and report rather than just have them drop on your calendar? Or block invites entirely if you are an antisocial old goat like myself?

All you need to do is right-click on the invitation itself in the calendar and report the player. That automatically removes that event.
As well, if you ignore the player, the invitations are all removed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Thanks Fogzlok! That info was really helpful, and, speaking as someone who hasn't been around in the game forever and a day, in a way it's good to know that this isn't an entirely new tactic. It's sad, though, that this still hasn't been fixed. I also really like that idea of being able to restrict calendar invites, and maybe there should be a restriction on non-guild invites, where you can only go, oh say, 3 months ahead? My main question to Blizz: why is it that an event in your calendar created by a toon that is either realm-xferred, or deleted, can remain in there after said event? I'm wracking my brain to come up with a reason why that shouldn't automatically be zapped, or at least auto-flagged. Anyone who's actually wanting to run an event and invite all their "friends" (noting that it could be something run by Leftovers Raiding or the like) isn't likely going to use a toon that will soon cease existing, even if just on that server, to run the event, and, should the character that set it up somehow mysteriously vanish, they could use an alt. I mean, I just can't think of any reason to allow calendar invites to remain posted to everyone when the joker that made it pulls a Houdini. Surely, some kinda of data-tainting model can be designed and implemented to first track, and then mitigate this kind of insidious spam.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior

All you need to do is right-click on the invitation itself in the calendar and report the player. That automatically removes that event.
As well, if you ignore the player, the invitations are all removed.

I don't see any obvious way to report via the calendar. :(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
On the calendar date itself, right-click the event and chose report player. You don't need to open the event to report it.
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior
This is what I get when I right-click the date:

http://i.imgur.com/bqQkOvF.png
Reply Quote
Like an above poster suggested, hotfix the calendar invite system to only work with guild members by default.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Why are people not on my friends list able to invite me to crap?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Would be nice if reporting an invite removed all invites from that player... without having to add them to your ignore list. Going through removing individual invites months ahead gets a little tiring.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you get "Internal Calendar Error" when attempting to report, just repeat, it worked for me the second time.

This really needs to be addressed ASAP. 9 events per toon times 10 toons equals Epic Spam Frustration.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]