5.3 - MoP XP Lowered Please

37 Draenei Priest
From: [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9135374/"]5.3 PTR patch notes[/url]
  • Experience needed to increase from level 85 to level 90 has been reduced by 33%.

• Mm... I'm disappointed. The experience curve should have remained in place until 6.0, in my opinion.

Yeah. Well, maybe this is them admitting there are no more expansions.

Cheers.
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Monk
    With this nerf could they make leveling from 60 to 80 the worst experience in wow? I would be more excited about an exp nerf if I could get a character high enough to use it.

As it is now I have a blast leveling from 1 to 60 and then the wall of suck starts.
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Paladin
    My question would be concerning how this would work for those already grinding xp. I am going to use random numbers for sake of ease, not actual numbers. For example:

1. Is the amount of XP needed to get from 85-90 going to go from 1,000,000 to 666,667? If that is the case, if you have that 666,667 already, do you instantly become 90?

or

2. Is the amount of xp required going to be based on your current level, so that if you are past that 67% xp mark, the next xp gained will automatically level you to the next level, then the xp required to obtain the subsequent levels would just be reduced by 33% of the original amount of xp it has required since launch?

or

3. Some other alternate scenario my pea-brain is incapable of thinking of.

Just curious, as I am sure others are curious about this as well.

Scenario 1:

Before the patch:
      Character has 50/200 xp, xp bar shows 25% progress to next level.

After the patch:
      Character has 50/100 xp, xp bar shows 50% progress to next level.

Scenario 2:

Before the patch:
      Character has 102/200 xp, xp bar shows 51% progress to next level.

After the patch:
      Character has 102/100 xp, and will level as soon as they gain an experience point.

Let me know if that helps.

Is it safe to assume that the change to "A Test of Valor" will work the same way?
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Priest
    Now let us use our flying mounts.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid
    Is it safe to assume that the change to "A Test of Valor" will work the same way?

I assumed it would complete upon login if you were at or above 3k valor and sit at the same number of VP earned otherwise (meaning if you had 2550 gained at logout, you'd be 2550/3000 instead of 2550/6000).
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Druid
    Honestly blizzard, I don't care about XP nerfs after you release new expansions. But this is freaking ridiculous.

It takes less than a day of playing time to hit 90. And you think this is too much? If anything needed to be done, you should've shifted the xp from the 88-90 bracket, to the 85-87 bracket.

More instant gratification on blizzards part. This is why this game is slowly dying. No reason to continue playing when there's no sense of accomplishment. Just give everyone free epics at 90 while we're at it.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight
    More instant gratification on blizzards part. This is why this game is slowly dying. No reason to continue playing when there's no sense of accomplishment. Just give everyone free epics at 90 while we're at it.

You get a sense of accomplishment by grinding mindless fetch and kill quests?
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    Do you have any concerns about the quickening pace of leveling and its effect of people not actually learning to play their class along the way? It seems like these constant XP nerfs just create an environment of players that really have no clue how to play their class or know their way around the different zones.

Isn't this detrimental to people's experiences when they blow through every zone without having to really experience everything within the various zones or have any type of challenge?

What useful skills would you learn while questing now even if you had to do 10x as many quests? Have you had to actually kite a mob while leveling since classic? Even BC dropped most skill requirements from questing, and just made it a grind.

They would need role-based max level tutorials if the game were actually going to try to teach people to play, but that's too much work. I just wish they'd encourage the community to actually teach each other, but you get nothing other than wasted time by helping someone nowadays.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Yeah. Well, maybe this is them admitting there are no more expansions.

Cheers.

I don't think so - it's more like an admission that the MoP leveling experience is fun once or twice, but thereafter falls headlong over a cliff without a parachute.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Hunter

They need to see further loss in players to cave on this one. I suspect this nerf to leveling was due to some more losses in players.

I would not be surprised to see some nerfs to the ToT raid added to 5.3 before it goes live.

For those who think that leveling helps you learn to play your class i am not sure how that is possible. You do not do any sort of rotation really in leveling.

In fact it is often hit a couple spells. mob dies. loot. rinse repeat. I am not sure how this helps someone learn their class at all.
    Edited by Ariktu on 4/22/2013 1:30 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I can't wait for all the "leveling all my alts takes to long!" threads to be replaced by "gearing all my alts takes too long!" threads.

This is a crowd you won't be able to please until after one character does something, it's automatically gifted to all other chars.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Rogue
    04/22/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Nelgul
    With every past expansion already sporting nerfed XP requirements, bonus XP Boa gear, and XP buffs from DMF every month in addition to the various holiday events, leveling a character isn't exactly difficult. There was really no reason to nerf required XP in the current expansion. Removing the Golden Lotus gate? Perhaps. XP nerf? Not really.

And luckily for us your opinion carries no weight and Blizzard disagrees.

Unfortunate for you that years later you remain a noob and a coward hiding on a trial account.

04/22/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Sciwryn
    With every past expansion already sporting nerfed XP requirements, bonus XP Boa gear, and XP buffs from DMF every month in addition to the various holiday events, leveling a character isn't exactly difficult. There was really no reason to nerf required XP in the current expansion. Removing the Golden Lotus gate? Perhaps. XP nerf? Not really.

So go ahead and level all of your alts now. Then you can brag about how you leveled the hard way to all of the people who care. Do tell if you find any.

Evidently you care or you wouldn't have wasted the time required to respond.

04/22/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Mayaluen

• With every past expansion already sporting nerfed XP requirements
  • Has no effect on Pandaria

• bonus XP Boa gear
  • Has no effect on Pandaria

• XP buffs from DMF every month
  • One week per 4.

• various holiday events
  • Whose quests reward the same exp as a normal Pandaria quest

This change is to address this expansion having the most time to level of any expansion yet, discounting the exp nerfs done at later times.

Past expansions had at least 10 levels to advance. This one has 5. The time required to hit maximum level this expansion is no lengthier than the time spent leveling the past expansions while they were latest expansion. In fact it's much easier regardless of the BoA gear not giving you the everyone gets a trophy bonus xp just for wearing it for the last five levels you require. Mining, Herbalism, Archeology, Pet Battles, Random Queues, PVP objectives all give XP.

This is the thought progression between then and now: The game has been out longer; Almost everyone has BoA gear to speed through those past expansions; I should level the present expansion performing an equally low amount of playing. Of course leveling a character the last five levels seems so difficult and arduous. No one actually expects they should have to play the game anymore. This isn't JG Wentworth. But this proves it may be Burger King, future employer of Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.
    Edited by Valygar on 4/22/2013 1:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Hunter
    Do you have any concerns about the quickening pace of leveling and its effect of people not actually learning to play their class along the way? It seems like these constant XP nerfs just create an environment of players that really have no clue how to play their class or know their way around the different zones.

Isn't this detrimental to people's experiences when they blow through every zone without having to really experience everything within the various zones or have any type of challenge?

You do realize, that even if you gave people 3 months of play time between 85 and 90 that they still would not know how to play their class if they did not desire to learn right? Questing does NOT show you how to do a rotation, and currently it is ideal to quest to 90 as it is the fastest way to level which is what most people care about.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Rogue
    04/22/2013 01:28 PMPosted by Ariktu

They need to see further loss in players to cave on this one. I suspect this nerf to leveling was due to some more losses in players.

I would not be surprised to see some nerfs to the ToT raid added to 5.3 before it goes live.

For those who think that leveling helps you learn to play your class i am not sure how that is possible. You do not do any sort of rotation really in leveling.

In fact it is often hit a couple spells. mob dies. loot. rinse repeat. I am not sure how this helps someone learn their class at all.

Elite mobs and group quests while leveling used to be quite common. Even normal mobs withstood more than a few whacks. But Thottbot hits used to be commonplace too.
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    I don't think so - it's more like an admission that the MoP leveling experience is fun once or twice, but thereafter falls headlong over a cliff without a parachute.

You could say that about pretty much every expansion though. The best thing about Cata when it came to levelling as far as I'm concerned wasn't that having flight made things faster, but that it made it viable for me to take gathering alts and level toons just collecting the things I needed to make stuff for my main/to sell. That let me spread out the number of times I had to do the content and made it far more managable.

Except for Deepholm. Deepholm, while fun the first time or two, 8 times later can now go die in a fire. Really guys, between the Frost Giants in Northrend, the Elementals in Deepholm, and the Golden Lotus in Pandaria, can we please, please, stop doing "mandatory to get x" zone/quest chains? For folks that do a lot of alts, they become tedious in short order.

PS: Experience doesn't really do much for me but, at this point in the game, can we strip Rep Requirements off of 5.0/5.1 faction gear? For folks trying to catch up, and those that hate dailies period, this would be most welcome. Right now I have friends that aren't playing 'cause they look how they've raised 3K VP doing things they enjoy, but can't spend any of it since every piece of VP gear is gated behind a daily faction save for 5.2 stuff from Shadow Pan Assault they can only get if they get high enough ilvl to get into the newest LFR.

There's a pretty obvious catch 22 there outside of extreme LFR grinding.
    Reply Quote
    100 Draenei Shaman
    04/22/2013 01:39 PMPosted by Valygar
    Elite mobs and group quests while leveling used to be quite common.

Elite mobs never taught you how to play. They just taught you to run away or find more people. If they want to teach people how to play, they need a completely different paradigm. The monk quests have the right idea to be honest: they focus on skills that most players otherwise seem to never learn to do- like kite, interrupt, disarm. You know, all the actually useful skills (especially that middle one).

Whether or not you could find a practical way to teach rotation in a game where rotations can flip flop with the swing of a nerf bat is questionable though.
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Paladin
    My question would be concerning how this would work for those already grinding xp. I am going to use random numbers for sake of ease, not actual numbers. For example:

1. Is the amount of XP needed to get from 85-90 going to go from 1,000,000 to 666,667? If that is the case, if you have that 666,667 already, do you instantly become 90?

or

2. Is the amount of xp required going to be based on your current level, so that if you are past that 67% xp mark, the next xp gained will automatically level you to the next level, then the xp required to obtain the subsequent levels would just be reduced by 33% of the original amount of xp it has required since launch?

or

3. Some other alternate scenario my pea-brain is incapable of thinking of.

Just curious, as I am sure others are curious about this as well.

Scenario 1:

Before the patch:
      Character has 50/200 xp, xp bar shows 25% progress to next level.

After the patch:
      Character has 50/100 xp, xp bar shows 50% progress to next level.

Scenario 2:

Before the patch:
      Character has 102/200 xp, xp bar shows 51% progress to next level.

After the patch:
      Character has 102/100 xp, and will level as soon as they gain an experience point.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

I think that does clear things up. In short, its pretty much based on your xp on the given level you are working on. For example, if you were sittinng at 199/200 xp, you would be sitting at 199/100 after the patch, therefore, autoleveling on your next xp gain,(in this example, you gain 2 xp) and sitting at 101/X, where X=the number of xp needed to advance to the subsequent level? Makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate the clarification!
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Rogue
    Elite mobs and group quests while leveling used to be quite common.

Elite mobs never taught you how to play. They just taught you to run away or find more people. If they want to teach people how to play, they need a completely different paradigm. The monk quests have the right idea to be honest: they focus on skills that most players otherwise seem to never learn to do- like kite, interrupt, disarm. You know, all the actually useful skills (especially that middle one).

Whether or not you could find a practical way to teach rotation in a game where rotations can flip flop with the swing of a nerf bat is questionable though.

It may not have taught everyone how to play alone but in concert with the lack of what is available now it most certainly did. There was no speed buff during your corpse run. Gold wasn't practically handed to you upon logging in. The ability to queue for raids and dungeons from your favorite AFK look at my pixels spot in town didn't exist. You couldn't look down from the horizon without a major investment and only at max level. People actually had to interact and have some level of cooperation even outside of raiding. You either learned how to play while leveling or you were gonna have a bad time and likely didn't get invited to much unless they needed a warm body to sacrifice.
    Edited by Valygar on 4/22/2013 1:55 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]