Nvidia Drivers crashed *Only in WoW*

90 Human Death Knight
Like the titles says, For some reason randomly and only in WoW my graphic drivers sometime crash, most of the time it happen while im in bgs , kinda suck when it happen during a RBGs where I am the target caller and my fps stick to 3 after the crash having to restart the game to fix it.

I'm running a GTx660TI with the lastest driver 314.22.

I had this issue since MoP released and with time and Gpu update I was sure it would get fix but it still happen, nvidia on their side tell me its the game with some computer specs causing these crash, I'm not sure yet but it only happen in wow never in other game yet... and like I said it started after mop patch came out.

Did anyone ever come to a fix ? I tryed billions of "fix" on multiple forum and website none worked some made it worse. I also tryed with fresh installed wow and windows and guess what it still happened :(
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Came here to post the same problem. Driver only crashes when WoW is running.

Can confirm nvidia graphics card. geforce 8600GTS.

Any fix and/or solution would be awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Any help?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Roll back the driver to 314.07 and it should be fixed, I had 314.22 crash my computer 5 times, and each time same error same BSOD, its only going to be a matter of time before it effects all the games

Edit: forgot the link to Nvidia's older driver list

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
Edited by Coldpaws on 4/19/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Roll back the driver to 314.07 and it should be fixed, I had 314.22 crash my computer 5 times, and each time same error same BSOD, its only going to be a matter of time before it effects all the games

Edit: forgot the link to Nvidia's older driver list

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

This error isn't a BSOD, that must be a separate issue.

It's been going on for some time but WoW causes the nvidia driver to stop responding. Windows eventually recovers (no BSOD).

It's been happening to my GTX 680 since MOP was released and that's been multiple different drivers. I'm not overclocking.

In windows 7, you can quickly end the task on WoW and reload the game, but in Windows 8 you lose all control over your desktop so you can't force close it with task manager... your only choice is to reboot, which really sucks when it happens in the middle of a raid boss.

I discovered a way to quickly close WoW in Windows 8 if anyone else is having this problem. You will need "classic shell" installed or something that adds the start button back to Win8's desktop.

1. Press windows key to bring up start menu
2. type "cmd" (without quotes) in the search field and press enter
3. Type: taskkill /im /f wow-64.exe
(change to wow.exe if you aren't running the 64bit version)

I really hope they fix this issue. nVidia and the Blizz devs need to sort this one out. It's affecting a lot of people... just go and google "wow nvidia driver responding" - it is widespread and affecting many different GPUs.
Edited by Bendak on 4/19/2013 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Im using a gtx 570 on 310.90 driver. No issues. Anything above 310.90 I get random black screens, computer freezes, etc..
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
This has been happening to me since Wrath...I just chalk it up to wow sucking. I stopped serious pvp and serious raiding because of it. GTX-470
Edited by Kiklix on 4/19/2013 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
You don't need to reboot after the crash, just press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and press Tab once to highlight the active column, then press the down arrow til you've highlighted WoW, then the right click key (its by the windows key) then arrow to "End Task" Enter. Sorry I dont have a real fix. If you roll back the driver, then immediately update it, your game will work for another random surprise amount of time:)
Reply Quote
When my game goes black and driver crashed I just wait couple secondes then it come back to the game i just need to restard the game everytime otherwise I run with only like 5fps... dropping from 60+ to 5 is terrible.

BTW this is NVO, post author..

I tryed couple version of driver and none seem to work correctly
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Nvidia GTX670 and i have the same issue, it crashes alot more often when i was movies/streams on my second monitor.

and it only does it when i play wow, every other game i play is fine.
Reply Quote
Nvidia GTX670 and i have the same issue, it crashes alot more often when i was movies/streams on my second monitor.

and it only does it when i play wow, every other game i play is fine.

Same happen alot more when I watch movie/stream on my second screen while playing, but when I just use 1 screen it still happen even if nothing is open in the background
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
nvidia gtx660 is same issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
now going to try to run the game in very low details, I've found on other website it might the the Auto performance adjustement for nvidia card dropping voltage too low in some instance of the game, I don't want to mess with this yet (even if im experienced with overclocking and stuff like this) I wan't to see how it goes everything on low, ill post result in couple days.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well still happening in low graphic, now im gonna start looking at my GPU voltage and see when crash occur if it drop, it is possible since wow always had trouble supporting overclocked gpu/cpu, both mine are really high clocked (gpu is factory overclocked) cpu by my self but i don't think it cpu since it the gpu crashing ill post back soon and let you guys know if my voltage drop when crash occured, if it does might need some manual adjustement.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Nvidia GTX570 same issue, I get the message that the Nvidia display driver stopped responding and sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn't, this only happens with WoW sadly , all my other games work fine at MAX graphics , i even tried launching Crysis and Battlefield III together and had them both running and everything was fine, but WoW single handedly crashes the GPU even if it's the only thing running on the PC , event log points the finger to Nvidia !! i am running windows 8 64-bit 12 GB RAM , i7 overclocked my CPU , not the GPU, that was manufactured overclock, so it's clearly something between Blizz and Nvidia as much as i would like to blame Microsoft Windows 8 or my overclocking, that is not the issue.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
GTX 570 also, seems to only happen to me in org banks and ah tho, i can raid bg or whatever fine. get the stopped working message and it recovers. any other game runs fine, no issues what so ever. just wow....in org...in the bank...or ah....annoying and wierd
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I'm with you guys on this one. My GeForce 8500 GT (311.06) only crashes in WoW. I have some limited amount of time until it crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. This is extremely frustrating as I have installed the latest drivers and contacted nvidia themselves. Apparently it is not my graphics card but WoW. I have seen far too many posts complaining about this to not get a response. Any response at all would be pleasing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Currently running the game with all the recommanded setting, nvidia control panel all to automatic or default. No crash for 20+ hours

also updated all sofware on that may affect the game or windows. ie: Microsoft net framework, Directx11 and window updates
Edited by Nvo on 5/8/2013 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Im using a gtx 570 on 310.90 driver. No issues. Anything above 310.90 I get random black screens, computer freezes, etc..

Applesnapple's idea of downgrading to the 310.90 has been working flawlessly for 5 days now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
GTX570 user here. Tried all the fixes and the only thing that worked for me is running in DX9 mode. Its been a few days now with no display driver problems.
I wish Blizz or NVidia would come back with any updates on the issue or at least start up a new sticky in the forum so we can keep up to date there.
Definably a downgrade running in DX9. But its better than not being able to play at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]