Which is better (marital arts)

80 Human Warlock
Um...Krav Maga is a proper martial art. I'm not sure why you say it isn't. The problem styles like Krav Maga have is that, thanks to a movie or two, they get inflated to this mythical degree of "deadliness" that they really don't have. Krav Maga is great for what it is meant for: a quick, brutal method of dealing with your enemy so that you can continue on doing what you're supposed to do (in the usual case, its to carry on with the mission).

You go up against someone who is skilled in a defensive martial art, though, and the Krav Maga practitioner is in trouble, because the quickness advantage is taken away. Krav Maga won't make you a superhuman, anymore than bujinkan taijutsu will allow you to disappear from an empty field in a cloud of smoke.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Death Knight
anymore than bujinkan taijutsu will allow you to disappear from an empty field in a cloud of smoke.

Well, I'm giving that up then.

@OP: Stick with your TKD. Have fun with it. As you get a chance, perhaps in college, explore other martial arts and see which suits you best.
If your friends say this martial art or that martial art is better than your TKD, insist they prove it right then and sucker punch them.

Chumps gotta learn.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Pylsur
anymore than bujinkan taijutsu will allow you to disappear from an empty field in a cloud of smoke.

Well, I'm giving that up then.

@OP: Stick with your TKD. Have fun with it. As you get a chance, perhaps in college, explore other martial arts and see which suits you best.
If your friends say this martial art or that martial art is better than your TKD, insist they prove it right then and sucker punch them.

Chumps gotta learn.

Very much this. In fact, learning more than one style of martial art is something I'd recommend, because you can essentially make up your own style from each art you learn. It'll make you less predictable for those situations where you find yourself needing to use those skills.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Very much this. In fact, learning more than one style of martial art is something I'd recommend, because you can essentially make up your own style from each art you learn. It'll make you less predictable for those situations where you find yourself needing to use those skills.

This is how I invented Vaapad, you see.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I'm surprised Silat hasn't yet been mentioned. Swift, deadly, it's really, really quite something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5LB3L2RAo

Short, flimsy woman that I am, I also have a lot of love for Aikido, which I practiced for a couple of years. I don't know why people preach Karate for self-defense; Aikido is incredibly non-violent and it's all about forcing your opponent to submit without breaking anything by using their momentum against them. It's beautiful and incredibly useful and if any of you have a dojo near where you live, you should definitely check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs4gTZjSqJc
Edited by Arielen on 4/4/2013 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Because people don't want to be non-violent.
Reply Quote
24 Pandaren Monk
Kung Fu definitely builds the most character as it is defensive based
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I think a lot of it would be based on personal opinions.

I did Tae Kwon Do for nine years, along with my whole family. We all really enjoyed it. Not only was it good exercise, socialization, and fun, but we learned a lot of defensive moves and forms. Along with sparring and breaking boards/concrete.

I also did some Krav Maga and Jiu Jitsu. Krav Maga is extremely intense. I think it's less of an "art" and more of a work out and learning mostly defense. Jiu Jitsu was interesting and I think could come in handy if you're found on the ground and need to either get out of a bad situation or subdue someone.

Since I haven't done any other martial arts, I can't really give pros and cons of any others. Though I'd definitely be interested in trying a few new ones some day.

I personally don't think you can say one is better than the other. I think they all have theirs benefits. One may focus more on a certain technique, style, idea, etc. But that doesn't make it better or worse. Just different.
Reply Quote
98 Human Warlock
I did a bit of Judo and Jiu Jitsu for fun awhile back and those were pretty cool. My favorite style probably remains Wing Chun though, just because of how efficient it is for self defense. It's very direct and defensive, and focuses more on disorienting the target rather than being really explosive, though it can certainly fit that criteria as well if you want it to.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Kauthryn

This is how I invented Vaapad, you see.

It still annoys me how that chump Windu gets all the credit.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Following in the footsteps of my personal hero Steven Seagal, I did aikido... eight, maybe nine years ago.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The greatest victory is the battle not fought.

Parkour.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Ah, Sun Tzu. Never has a man in all of history been more mis-quoted and mis-understood.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
Sun Tzu.

Military theory for novices.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I remember taking Taekwondo when I was little, all the way up to purple belt. Mainly took it to help build confidence and find my 'voice'. I was really whimpy and boy the exercise was intense. You'll be panting at the end of the day from it.
Anyways, there's no really 'who is better at who', matter oh opinions like Ninwyn said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ah, Sun Tzu. Never has a man in all of history been more mis-quoted and mis-understood.

He totally meant run away and be non-confrontational, not defeat your enemy without needing to engage him directly.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Kauthryn

He totally meant run away and be non-confrontational, not defeat your enemy without needing to engage him directly.

It worked for the Boxers.

Oh, wait.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Kauthryn

Most definitely. Few people bother to quote the second part of that pearl of wisdom: "He who run away lives to run another day. Unless you get caught in a dead end, but we don't like to talk about that situation. I mean, what are the odds?"
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
Most definitely. Few people bother to quote the second part of that pearl of wisdom: "He who run away lives to run another day. Unless you get caught in a dead end, but we don't like to talk about that situation. I mean, what are the odds?"

Pretty good if your name is Villeneuve.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
04/04/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Asuryån

Pretty good if your name is Villeneuve.

I don't know nearly enough about the Battle of Trafalgar as I should. The Napoleonic era is one I really should get into some more beyond the occasional "Sharpe," "Horatio Hornblower," or "Master and Commander" movie.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about Jacques Villeneuve, in which case I know even less.
Edited by Kharnis on 4/4/2013 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]