(ooc) Rest in Peace Roger Ebert

100 Blood Elf Priest
^ Title.

Legendary Film Critic.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I never truly appreciated the guy until a friend directed me to his review of Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo where he devoured Rob Schneider's soul.

The movie created a spot of controversy last February. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture Nominees and wrote that they were "ignored, unloved and turned down flat by most of the same studios that ... bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to 'Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo,' a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running !@#$% Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic."

Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: "Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind ... Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers."

Reading this, I was about to observe that Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.

That ether. That stuff that makes your soul burn slow.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
He died?! Omg..that makes me so sad!!!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Wai-...Wha-...No...Really? No...That's...Huh. That's sudden. He'll be missed.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Ebert's positive approach to dealing with the results of his earlier cancer, most especially the loss of the voice of one of TV's greatest wits, was inspiring. The perpetual grin that he was forced to bear was reflected by the spirit within in a way that I found almost impossible to believe. He will be sorely missed, but somewhere, they are now enjoying the great team of Siskel and Ebert once more.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Rest in Peace.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
OHMYGODWHY

This is really awful to hear. He was truly the greatest critic of all. T_T
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Someone's going to eventually bring up the herping about his views on video games as art, and the massive backlash from the gaming community at the time, so let's go ahead put that to rest.

Even after he said it, he immediately went back and apologized, stating that as someone who grew up in a completely different time, he really didn't have the expertise or knowledge of the medium to truly have a opinion on it, and felt he shouldn't have been so hasty in his views. However, during the controversy, his opinion really wasn't that bad, mostly stating that he felt game developers cannot give the player a true choice in how the story will go. Or something to the effect.

That said, even as someone who plays video games, I can respect his opinion on the matter. Video games as a medium has been in an odd state of existence ever since developers decided to put time and effort into creating a story both for the plot itself, and the backstory that comprises the world the game is set in. Too many people are trying to give it a legitimacy it may not truly need, as others lament the idea that the entire idea behind the medium, that of controllable, interactive entertainment for a lazy afternoon or weekend, is quickly being overtaken by an unneeded identity "culture" surrounding the very concept of it, and developers sacrificing good gameplay for "artistic vision" and defending it to the death when the game turns out to be completely horrible in all aspects, even in the story itself. I can only truly decide to say that it's ultimately up to society at large to determine whether the gaming medium can truly be considered an artform.

Having said THAT and going back on topic, I will miss Ebert. He had a certain charm and dedicated love to the cinematic medium that made his name synonymous with the epitome "film critic". He never played with childish language when he wrote scathing reviews, instead opting his mastery over the English language to fully describe what he thought was terrible about a film, and vice versa of what he thought was wonderful. He took great pride in his work, and many in and out the industry looked to him as a litmus test of sorts to see whether a movie was truly good or not. But obviously, he was not without his own faults, as opinions and tastes vary. But again, he always gave detailed, concise reasons why he loved or hated a movie, never pandering for a quick buck. He spoke his mind, and never strayed from the path, and that was why he became such a legend in American and worldwide cinematic culture.

So here's to you, Ebert. A thumbs down for your death, but a thumbs up to your legacy. May you and Siskel forever be able to watch the classics in God's Cinema.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
My Dad was a big movie fan as much as Roger Ebert was. I remember him buying the paper on his way home from work on Friday's to read the entertainment section and Roger Eberts reviews of movies, so he'd know what movies to rent when they came out to video. Quite sad to really see him go, since for years he was really the only critic I really had any interest in reading.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
When I found out about his death a friend mentioned the last movie he reviewed was The Host. A Stephanie Meyer movie killed him!

In all seriousness, though, I will miss him - I saw a comic on Facebook today and it made me smile, it's concerning both film critics:

http://i45.tinypic.com/j8jwwy.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I admired his tenacity and positive spirit in facing his cancer and surgery, which sadly disfigured his face. He didn't let it slow him down, and always seemed to be smiling.

Good Night Mr. Ebert. We'll miss you.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
"I'll see you at the movies," were the last words Ebert wrote to his readers. They were published in an essay titled "Leave of Presence" on his blog Tuesday, in which he explained he was planning to slow down and reduce the number of movie reviews he wrote.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]