Feelings on this WoW Insider article?

90 Worgen Rogue
04/17/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Grimauna
Goblins didn't get Kezan back, nor did I say they did nor do they need it back. They have Bilgewater Harbor. That alone makes up for anything they lost.

That was basically my point. The Gilneans need Surwich to not suck, not to take Gilneas back. Or to build a better version in Darkshire or Ashenvale. There's some fresh real estate since the Trolls and Orcs respectively got the boot.
I would be fine with that, in fact... I'd love and prefer that. I simply don't think Blizzard will actually create a new town for us. Not that they will give us Gilneas either. Neither seems terribly likely at this point, sadly.

Although, if we are comparing Kezan and Gilneas, Kezan was destroyed by a volcanic eruption while Gilneas is.. well, just abandoned. No one is there at all, really.
Edited by Rixita on 4/17/2013 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm glad to hear it. It's about time they started taking us seriously and listening.

They're changing by adding an achievement "Why should we ever work with you" after we're forced to help Vol'jin.

There you go, "changed"
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
04/17/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Darigato
I'm glad to hear it. It's about time they started taking us seriously and listening.

They're changing by adding an achievement "Why should we ever work with you" after we're forced to help Vol'jin.

There you go, "changed"
I already had you on ignore, but I didn't recognize your name and I was curious what you had to say. It's pretty obvious why I had made that decision before, and I am glad I made it.

I don't normally point these things out, but I thought I'd let you know that I'm not interested in your trolling and I won't be seeing it. Feel free to waste your time, though, if you enjoy pretending people might care.
Edited by Rixita on 4/17/2013 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I have been much delayed in expressing my thoughts on this. Likely for the better as the fires have greatly cooled.

I like what the articles were trying to do even if I don't agree with them entirely, the second one was especially good.

Regardless of the content they point to a larger problem that Blizzard needs to acknowledge, a large section of their player base is unhappy right now.

I haven't read through this thread but I'm sure it's degenerated into the same Horde regulars on this forum telling the Alliance players just how wrong they are and how amazing they actually have it.

Well you know what you're wrong. This isn't about how the actual war is going, this isn't about the number of Alliance victories vs the number of Horde victories.

This isn't about any of that, those are just points that frustrated Alliance players latch onto. And considering the representation in game the Alliance has gotten in the past two expansions you simply cannot blame them.

What things the Alliance does have to be proud of are not shown to us. They are either in some book or other work outside the game, shown to the Horde exclusively or maybe if we're lucky a few lines of text in a quest with no concrete representation in the actual game world.

Ashenvale and Gilneas are two of the biggest offenders in this category.

No I think what people are upset about, whether they realize it or can properly articulate it, are how the Alliance as a faction has been treated by the development team not about it's actual standing in the story.

Our content is always come to second, we've been seeing it since Cata at least. Our content is always cut, like the Twilight Highlands intro from Cata among other things, or not properly fleshed out like Gilneas and Ashenvale.

Horde content is the first thing you see hitting the PTR and overall Mists which was said to be one of the Alliances moments has been a Horde experience.

It is insulting when you find that the dialogue for your factions NPC's has simply been copy and pasted from their Horde counterparts.

Is that a bit petty? Maybe. Is it a huge deal? Not concretely but it's quite the psychological blow to a side of the player base that is already feeling neglected.

Blizzard is out of touch with their Alliance player base, they don't know what is wrong and the disconnect is growing more obvious by the patch. They are confused when things they think will make us happy cause a backlash but instead of trying to understand why they just plug their ears and make jokes about it.

The Alliance wants to be the Alliance. That is one of the most important points of the article. People want to see all of the Alliance, not just one race, out there and doing things.

They don't want to always react to the Horde and they don't want to simply tag along with the Hordes development. They want their own.

In 5.3 the Horde is planting the seeds for one of their greatest moments in WoW history. A time when they will define who they are as a faction and what they will be going forward.

And the Alliance is simply going along for that ride being tacked onto a Horde story and getting to watch the show.

I'm tired of the excuse people use, I'm tired of being told the Faction is getting what it can be given, that it is too boring or one dimensional to do anything else.

That's a fallacy, there is great potential for the Alliance to develop as the Alliance with it's own unique side of things. It doesn't have to rip themes from the Horde or rely on the Horde to have a story of it's own.

It simply needs the developers to try.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Recent indicators are suggesting that Cdev and the story teams, both in game and out ARE unaware of the Alliance players being upset, or at least, unaware other than a general buzz.

From comments made by Neilson, and by Fargo, I'm beginning to believe to people who are monitoring the Story Forums and passing that information along are just...taking what THEY interperate the problems to be, instead of what the playerbase is saying.

Neilson just said earlier that he's going to pass the Alliance leaders other than varian being inactive to the quest designers and such, and how he was going to speak with them about it, and that there was a lot of Alliance leader discussion.

Things that were said over and over again on the story forums was coming off as new information than him.

We are giving the information, but whoever is taking it seems to be presenting it in a twisted and incorrect way, though I doubt its on purpose.

I can honestly say, while I never had any maliciousness towards the devs, these past few days HAVE made me much more confident in them. Not only because we've been able to see that they've recived the wrong message about certain feedback, but also because they seem to be surprsised when common feedback is brought up, as if its the first time they've heard it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/17/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Nezmith
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/know-your-lore-the-horde-vs-the-horde/#continued

A good article, and it's right.

The reason the Horde is getting the spotlight is because the Horde is where the drama is at.

The Alliance have no such drama.

Tyrande and the High Tinker are not banding together against Varian's wishes to commit genocide, and must be stopped...

Greymane and his Worgen have not discovered a way to transfer their curse to non-humans and plot to convert the entire world into Worgen...

No, the Alliance is so strong and so united, that their strength and unity cannot be tarnished by petty conflict or the promise of absolute power. They are all shining beacons of the Light, or the Moon.

Rix is covered this but I still wanted to !@# weight to it. The alliance could and was supposed to have this inter faction problems but blizzard ignored that too. They got rid of magni just so they could have some inter race politics with the council of three hammers an expansion and a half ago and the next patch will be the first time they are doing anything about it. That thing is solving the problem before it was even an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Yet, they didn't. The only thing they did is make a fishing town in Surwich, turn all feral worgen into generic druidic tree-stump loving Alliance worgen, have them lose every fathomable battle with the forsaken and never reappear in Lordaeron battles, and hang around tree stumps in general doing nothing but hugging trees.
The damage is already done for the most part. I am not sure what we can do to bring live back into their culture and race. But there are ways we can do it. For instance, they need to take back Gilneas. Period. This needs to be done, fair or unfair, the goblins have had plenty of content and have their own city, the worgen should be given the same treatment.

For the most part I agree with your sentiment, but the major sticking point is here. You can't get Gilneas for gameplay reasons. Blizz doesn't want a major Alliance base and quest hub stuck right off the Forsaken lowbie zone.

Also, you have a false comparison here. The Goblins didn't get their home back. Kezan's as gone as Gilneas. They built a new home in Azshara and moved all the old people from the goblin starting story there, including the class trainers.

I think rather than getting Gilneas back, it's much more feasible to have the Gilneans build a new "city" like Bilgewater Harbor, and move their trainers and NPC's there. It shows them making progress, recovering their pride, and making a fresh start with their newly discovered prowess and heritage.

And yes, Crowly totally should have been fighting in Andorhol. I miss the guy. He and Bloodfang together were six kinds of badass.

Well, since blizzard funnels the players into stormwind I don't think it would be a problem. Also the few that are there can't do much to newbies in a horde zone unless they are flagged for some reason.

However I don't think it needs to be made a proper city with trade chat and such. I'd be happy with just some npcs there, whether Gilnean or Forsaken just something there. It is more empty than a ghost town. There aren't even any animals that have reclaimed the city.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/17/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Grimauna

For the most part I agree with your sentiment, but the major sticking point is here. You can't get Gilneas for gameplay reasons.

I'm sick of blizzard excuse for citys not changing factions being gameplay reasons. Game play is important yes. But In video games, story tel lings most powerful tool IS game play.

Orgrimmar should be taken and usable by the alliance. It can be a neutral zone like dalaran was. Horde being a vassal of the alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The problems all started with Cataclysm and it just went downhill from there as far as Alliance goes.

The way we experienced victories and defeats in Cata was very demoralizing to start. Not only did the Alliance lose a depressing amount of the time compared to the Horde, it was all but rubbed in our faces how badly we lost, particularly in quests like Andorhal where we were winning before Horde suddenly pulls supertroops out their rears and it's game over.

Worse, we lost areas like Hillsbrad without even being able to fight the outcome and could only watch as Forsaken NPCs horrifically brutalized and murdered our people with not a thing we could do about. Essentially, the developers seemed to be all but thumbing their noses at us by saying 'Look what they're doing, too bad you can't stop it it haha!'

I get the developers wanted to inflame players and make the war feel more personal, but I don't think they should have taken so far with regards to Alliance as it seemed like needless antagonization.

As for our 'victories', as someone said they were not phased in game 99% of the time or left ambiguous to the point we felt like we accomplished nothing in the end.

Theramore was my biggest sticking point because it's destruction amounted to nothing more than deliberate antagonization of the Alliance playerbase by the developers. There was no need to destroy it so blatantly and thoroughly, but according to them the Alliance somehow was still too idiotic to realize a war was going on and needed another push and needed ANOTHER major settlement blown sky high. How convenient.

Now it's boiling down to the Horde story continually getting the lion's share of developmental care while the Alliance is yet again just another cog in the Horde machine. Alliance were promised a 'fist-pumping' moment in their words, but all we are seeing is more of the same: our story entirely subservient to theirs. Fist pumping is not how I'd describe kowtowing to a Troll and being a damn 'Darkspear Revolutionary.'

The developers seem to have, if not a huge disconnect with the Alliance playerbase, an overabundance of concern for the Horde story which is leaving the Alliance half-finished and in a poor place in comparison. All we're asking for is equal representation, if the developers cannot see that the disconnect must be even larger than we thought.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The problems all started with Cataclysm and it just went downhill from there as far as Alliance goes.

The way we experienced victories and defeats in Cata was very demoralizing to start. Not only did the Alliance lose a depressing amount of the time compared to the Horde, it was all but rubbed in our faces how badly we lost, particularly in quests like Andorhal where we were winning before Horde suddenly pulls supertroops out their rears and it's game over.

Worse, we lost areas like Hillsbrad without even being able to fight the outcome and could only watch as Forsaken NPCs horrifically brutalized and murdered our people with not a thing we could do about. Essentially, the developers seemed to be all but thumbing their noses at us by saying 'Look what they're doing, too bad you can't stop it it haha!'

I get the developers wanted to inflame players and make the war feel more personal, but I don't think they should have taken so far with regards to Alliance as it seemed like needless antagonization.

As for our 'victories', as someone said they were not phased in game 99% of the time or left ambiguous to the point we felt like we accomplished nothing in the end.

Theramore was my biggest sticking point because it's destruction amounted to nothing more than deliberate antagonization of the Alliance playerbase by the developers. There was no need to destroy it so blatantly and thoroughly, but according to them the Alliance somehow was still too idiotic to realize a war was going on and needed another push and needed ANOTHER major settlement blown sky high. How convenient.

Now it's boiling down to the Horde story continually getting the lion's share of developmental care while the Alliance is yet again just another cog in the Horde machine. Alliance were promised a 'fist-pumping' moment in their words, but all we are seeing is more of the same: our story entirely subservient to theirs. Fist pumping is not how I'd describe kowtowing to a Troll and being a damn 'Darkspear Revolutionary.'

The developers seem to have, if not a huge disconnect with the Alliance playerbase, an overabundance of concern for the Horde story which is leaving the Alliance half-finished and in a poor place in comparison. All we're asking for is equal representation, if the developers cannot see that the disconnect must be even larger than we thought.

Good points. but what's worse with the Theramore scenario is that it was supposed to, as you said, wake the Alliance up to the fact it's in a war. Yet Jaina, after she stops raging, goes even more neutral than before. She spits on everyone that died at Theramore by ignoring their sacrifice. They died toi protect HER city and what does she do? turns her back on them.

Theramore's destruction was completely unneeded and unnecessary.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

Good points. but what's worse with the Theramore scenario is that it was supposed to, as you said, wake the Alliance up to the fact it's in a war. Yet Jaina, after she stops raging, goes even more neutral than before. She spits on everyone that died at Theramore by ignoring their sacrifice. They died toi protect HER city and what does she do? turns her back on them.

Theramore's destruction was completely unneeded and unnecessary.

Only for a little bit and I think it was to show that she isn't beyond reason but that the horde just can't be reasoned with. I was angry when Jaina is like I can't lose sight, then the Darnassus bell stealing happened and she rightfully said all bets were off.

The problem I had with the theramore scenario was that we didn't get there untill it was too late, just some mop up crew. When never got to do a 300 stand off and make them work for it just arrived to a HAH YOU LOSE!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I think the developers biggest failure with the Alliance at the end of MoP is that, regardless of how the Seige ends, we are still going to left with an Azeroth with all the territory we lost still under Horde control. So essentially, we still lose no matter what.

Killing Garrosh is not going to give us Hillsbrad back or allow the Gilneans an actual home aside from a stupid tree in Darnassus. Nope, we just get that one feel good moment in killing a bad Orc only to replace him with someone else who promises to be a better Warchief 'but we be keepin' all dat land we took, haha!'

It doesn't matter if canonically the Horde is weakened as a result of the civil war, the bottom line remains they will still possess our territory while remaining just as strong as us for gameplay reasons. And we just have no choice but to let it happen because the developers keep pulling the same 'better man' schtick on us anytime we have a chance to change the outcome where we don't lose no matter what.

Who wins what on Pandaria ultimately means nothing because it belongs to neither faction and will play no further part in the status quo once the next expansion comes about.

Bottom line is we are helping the Horde win their civil war with ZERO concessions and having to turn a blind eye while they squat in our territory, so what did we really win in the end? Nothing. Hell, the developers won't even let us win self-respect...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Bottom line is we are helping the Horde win their civil war with ZERO concessions and having to turn a blind eye while they squat in our territory, so what did we really win in the end? Nothing. Hell, the developers won't even let us win self-respect...

So then how would you handle the gameplay constraints of needing equal numbers of leveling zones while also making it seem like the Alliance came away with something?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So then how would you handle the gameplay constraints of needing equal numbers of leveling zones while also making it seem like the Alliance came away with something?

Make it purely lore. Or phase it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/18/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Grimauna

Phasing it is something we know, 100% know, they can do. If they want to, and that's a big if.

Imagine in an alternate world, where the Alliance victory - buy the book, says Bliz, and use your imagination... and save us money and effort, too - ahem, where that is reflected in a phased out 'liberated' Ashenvale. Imagine how much less anger there would be here, if the Alliance had just that one, little sense of accomplishment. "Saving Ashenvale."

NOOOOOOPE

No can do. Enjoy seeing everything firebombed eternally.

Same reason why, so you've saved Westfall? Ho ho ho. Isn't that cute? But its WRONG!
Westfall shall burn until the end of days. It is the new Firelands.

Such is fate, as written by Devs.
But they will blow up Theramore. Because, um, it happened in a book, and definitely not just because Horde did it. Also, Alliance haven't been pissed off or pissed on enough. So we'll revisit old content just that once. Yeah.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/18/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Sardana

Phasing it is something we know, 100% know, they can do. If they want to, and that's a big if.

Imagine in an alternate world, where the Alliance victory - buy the book, says Bliz, and use your imagination... and save us money and effort, too - ahem, where that is reflected in a phased out 'liberated' Ashenvale. Imagine how much less anger there would be here, if the Alliance had just that one, little sense of accomplishment. "Saving Ashenvale."

NOOOOOOPE

Same reason why, so you've saved Westfall? Ho ho ho. Isn't that cute? But its WRONG!

But they will blow up Theramore. Because, um, it happened in a book, and definitely not just because Horde did it. Also, Alliance haven't been pissed off or pissed on enough. So we'll revisit old content just that once. Yeah.

I agree and also strongly agree with Randarion's posts above.

There are conscious planning decisions on what content gets developed, when it gets scheduled and how many resources get devoted to that content. Decisions were made to show Horde victories in-game and Alliance victories were not shown in-game the last two expansions. That didn't happen by accident. I understand that resources are not infinite. But it takes someone to actually decide what gets put into the game; it should be balanced to the number of zones but also balanced as to the experience for each player in a faction. No one wants to play a faction that loses all the time or wins all the time. It's not interesting.

Blizzard seems to rely on a single storyline viewed from two factional perspectives for all its content development and this is what is causing all these problems. The natural result of this approach is that you end up focusing all development on one major storyline to the detriment of the lesser faction. It wasn't so bad when the overarching story of Garrosh & Thrall started in Burning Crusade but the closer we get to the end of the story, the worse it feels for an Alliance player. Outside of this one overarching storyline, there hasn't been any other storyline developed for the game as a whole. Everything since Burning Crusade (even with the sidetrip to Northrend in Wrath) has been about what direction does the Horde take -- Garrosh's version versus Thrall's version (Old Horde versus New Horde). The Alliance has nothing in comparison. Whatever neat story conflicts that might crop up such as Moira returning with the Dark Irons have been shoved aside in an unrealistic fashion so the Alliance can all be there, neat and tidy for the fall of Garrosh.

Personally, I'm outright dismayed that it appears the story developers haven't see this corner they've painted themselves into. They need to develop overarching, independent storylines that continue expansion after expansion for BOTH factions. These storylines need to allow for genuine characterizations of the lore figures (like Tyrande for instance — "A Little Patience" was downright terrible in this regard) and show the internal conflicts of each race so it remains interesting, and they need to devote resources in-game to make it happen. They just aren't doing it right now and it's been readily apparent for two expansions. It's upsetting on so many levels.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The problem with the Alliance is that the entire "Pulling the Alliance together while pushing Horde apart" scenario just isn't happening.

For two reasons:

1) The Horde aren't being pushed apart. The Horde are overcoming their differences and are coming together - if only against, well, the parts of the Horde they dislike. They are gathering under Vol'Jin.

2) The Alliance has no real differences. There's nothing to pull together. We're already a block. If anything, the way they are going about "pulling together" is alienating the players. The NPCs might be acting like the Alliance is "coming together" under the High King - but a lot of the players aren't feeling the togetherness at all.

Varian is an overbearing sports-dad figure of a leader who keeps lecturing the other Alliance bigshots. The fact that those other figures ARE dumb, and DO keep making mistakes and DO need those lectures does not help. It hurts.

A united Alliance would work a heck of a lot better if we were truly working together to further our own goals - instead of being dragged along by Teacher like a bunch of unruly schoolchildren.
Edited by Sylassanna on 4/20/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
That - and the fact that the Alliance just have no non-humans doing important roles.

Night Elves are present - but only as figures who will, eventually, mess up.

Rell seemed like he'd be awesome at the start. SI: 7 badass - big-time character, has the King's confidence (or maybe is the only one who knows how to work the remote on the King's new Bigscreen Scrying Pool). And then he got mauled by monkeys.

Lyalia is downright pathetic. It's bizarre that this fussy do-nothing made Commander. When she isn't busy dying, she's whining about wanting to go home, or complaining about how mean we are to the poor, poor Saurok.

Tyrande is... well, you all know.

It seems downright intentional. They needed an Alliance group to take a Thing, then fail to guard it properly, since the Horde needed to steal it. Enter the Elves!

The other races are even worse off.

The Draenei barely even seem to exist. Velen missed his stage cue when Varian called for him, apparently, and got replaced by monks.

Dwarves get to show up as minor characters here and there, but Muradin and Falstaad apparently had their drinks spiked with Varian's Secret Incompetence Draught recently, too. Man probably has it hidden in a lion-signet ring he wears on his left hand. These guys used to be fighters, through and through - not worrying politicians. Moira gets her moment to shine - but it looks suspiciously like this will be her last contribution for a while, and Varian gets the credit for it.

Gnomes show up to maintain the machines. Humans get to captain their inventions, though. As a race, they seem to have no real motivation to be in Pandaria beyond "I came with the other guys!" Their rivalry with the Goblins is now a minor background element. The Goblins don't seem to care anymore, really - Goblins have other things to worry about, more pertinent to recent events.

Worgen... have apparently stopped existing, too. Not so much as a single Worgen being comically fussed over by a horrified chef convinced the worgen is just a very, very, very, very thin Pandaren. There's a few NPCs of no note - less if you do not count ones who are Worgen because they are a guard of [Random Alliance Race].
Edited by Sylassanna on 4/20/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

NOOOOOOPE

I just can't like this post enough.

These are some huge chunks of why the Alliance player base is so angry and unsatisfied, things just like this.
Reply Quote
For the most part I agree with your sentiment, but the major sticking point is here. You can't get Gilneas for gameplay reasons. Blizz doesn't want a major Alliance base and quest hub stuck right off the Forsaken lowbie zone.

I don't buy this. Even pre-Cataclysm, the Barrens had an Alliance-usable FP next to Orgimmar (at Rachet), and Ashenvale was right up against Orgimmar's back door. Post-Vanilla, South Barrens is a major Alliance questing zone that probably about as far from Orgrimmar as Gilneas is from Undercity.

And those zones have worked. They have not resulted in Horde newbies unable to leave Razor Hill because of Alliance PvP squads or anything of the sort.

Gilneas can work the same way. It didn't need to be a full fledged city, but making Gilneas the 12-20 zone for Worgen similar to how Azshara was for Goblins (IE, designed from the ground up with their racial sensibilities in mind and dotted with their architecture, including a mock-capital city) should have been a no-brainer. You could have ended the zone with a triumphant, "We have pushed the Forsaken back out beyond the wall and our land is safe for now. Go help our allies, here's a free ship to Stormwind, go start questing in Redridge or something now."

If they weren't willing to give us that much, Gilneas should have stayed walled up.
Edited by Jaelara on 4/20/2013 4:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]