Rets are the melee version of Arcane Mages.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Talk about originality...blizz just seems to copy and paste class designs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No, ret pushes more than 2 buttons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
lolwut?

Ret and Arcane have nothing in common. Ret is all about generating HP and dumping it. Arcane is all about mana management.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I don't see it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Nothing to see here....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was mainly referring to our burn phase. Avenging Wrath every 2mins spam HoW(Sanctified) or Templar's Verdict(Holy Avenger)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We're not the only class with burst cds...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We're not the only class with burst cds...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I was mainly referring to our burn phase. Avenging Wrath every 2mins spam HoW(Sanctified) or Templar's Verdict(Holy Avenger)

I thought you were referring to the build-up of Holy Power and their build-up of Arcane Charges. Get three Holy Power (from Judgment, Crusader Strike, Exorcism), use Templar's Verdict. Get four Arcane Charges (from Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Explosion), use Arcane Barrage.

Actually, I'm seeing more similarities the more I think about it. We're not exactly mirrors of one another, but there are some pretty neat similarities.

Good catch!
Edited by Roahin on 4/16/2013 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/16/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Roahin
I thought you were referring to the build-up of Holy Power and their build-up of Arcane Charges. Get three Holy Power (from Judgment, Crusader Strike, Exorcism), use Templar's Verdict. Get four Arcane Charges (from Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles, Arcane Explosion), use Arcane Barrage.

Rogue/ferals use combo points too but their execution/play style is completely different.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
This is an old game based on simple combat mechanics. All of the classes are going to be very similar to each other if you really nitpick at it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Rogue/ferals use combo points too but their execution/play style is completely different.

That's true, but I've always felt that the Arcane Charge / Holy Power systems were closer in common than the Combo Point system. Likely because we carry our points on our character rather than tying them into whatever singular enemy we're specifically targeting.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
04/16/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Roahin
That's true, but I've always felt that the Arcane Charge / Holy Power systems were closer in common than the Combo Point system.

Arcane Charges aren't a resource in any way, though. The closest non-combo-point comparisons you can make are to Runic Power and Chi, as they and Holy Power are generated by certain attacks and consumed to use other attacks, and all are stored on the character. The MoP changes made Rage work pretty much the same way, too.

If anything, if Ret was the "melee version" of any caster right now (by comparing Holy Power to another resource), it would be Destruction, since Burning Embers work similarly to Holy Power as well.
Edited by Keten on 4/16/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

A Ret "burn phase" is not like an Arcane burn phase. Arcane builds up charges and then expends a large amount of mana to deal high damage for a while, then has to recover mana. Ret just pops cooldowns; we don't follow a burn phase with a "conserve phase" where we try to build back up our Holy Power or something.

I mean, there are some parallels that can be drawn I guess, especially in loose terms, but "copy/paste" is quite an exaggeration. If anything, Arcane is one of the DPS specs we're least like, since literally every DPS spec uses cooldowns, but Arcane's burn/conserve playstyle where you manage resources over long periods of time is quite distinctly different from anyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

What are you smoking? want to pass it around so we see what you see? Priest, Monk, Druid i can say we share some likeness bur mage? No way we don't even see the world from the same angle.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

If you want to see truly bad class skill design play an engineer or ranger in GW2. It will make you see the wisdom in this game lol.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

I'm pretty sure most classes have cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If only ret was the melee version of fire mages, then maybe I would like playing one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just ate an awesome bacon cheeseburger. So yummy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just ate an awesome bacon cheeseburger. So yummy.

Went to Wendys with my bro the other day, the jr bacon cheese burger had grease on the bun and was dripping with grease. Died a little inside after i ate it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]