Haunting Spirits, or any high end craft mats

100 Human Paladin
It seems like this comes up with every new tier but the cost / availability of these mats really does not justify making these items until close to the end of a patch. By then most characters have an item of the same ilevel that these items are. Honestly what are the chances of having 8 items DE'd within a short enough amount of time to make one of the new helms for example worthwhile?

To me it just seems like these mats need to be rethunk, or atleast have other methods of obtaining them (I.E. making a Lightning Steel Ingot, has a chance to proc one).

What are your guys thoughts?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
It never does, imo, it's one of the primary reasons I never get to use the patterns I get out of dungeons. The rate at which you actually get the items you need, you've found an upgrade or you're already working on heroic mode. -_-
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It never does, imo, it's one of the primary reasons I never get to use the patterns I get out of dungeons. The rate at which you actually get the items you need, you've found an upgrade or you're already working on heroic mode. -_-

That's a good point, I mean what's the point of having patterns from raids, if you can't even get the items from the raids to use them?
Edited by Sharpen on 4/18/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/18/2013 07:58 AMPosted by Sharpen

That's a good point, I mean what's the point of having patterns from from raids, if you can't even get the items from the raids to use them?

The new 522 patterns are proc'ing from daily crafting. Or at least, a huge chunk of them are. So you won't necessarily being raiding that content to get things to D/E while also getting the recipes.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
I gave up on crafting. Ultimately worthless unless you luck out and get the initial drop on a prof. My BS just hit 90 and learned to make a belt buckle last week. Lightning steel? Ha Ha Ha. Not a chance before 6.0
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The new 522 patterns are proc'ing from daily crafting. Or at least, a huge chunk of them are. So you won't necessarily being raiding that content to get things to D/E while also getting the recipes.

Exactly, so in this tier they decided to entice people with all these new recipes that people can get, but then they give no proper means to actually make the items (Unless of course your completely loaded)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Why do you need to craft 522 gear at the start of the xpac? For gold? For raiding?

Those that have the patterns and need the gear, are raiding, and will end up with enough haunting spirits to craft the pieces they'd like/need.

The bigger issue is smaller servers won't have people raiding ToT at all, let alone sharing mats with anyone--via the AH or otherwise.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/18/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It seems like this comes up with every new tier but the cost / availability of these mats really does not justify making these items until close to the end of a patch. By then most characters have an item of the same ilevel that these items are. Honestly what are the chances of having 8 items DE'd within a short enough amount of time to make one of the new helms for example worthwhile?

To me it just seems like these mats need to be rethunk, or atleast have other methods of obtaining them (I.E. making a Lightning Steel Ingot, has a chance to proc one).

It's fine the way it is. I've come across 15 haunting spirits the last 2 weeks, all from DE'ing gear we didn't need from ToT. Everyone has to acquire them the same way. If you raid and have an enchanter and get some unlucky drops you're going to get spirits.

You're in a guild that can only kill 2 bosses a week so the chances of getting more haunting spirits is not there. The system is fine, the issue is your guild. Kill some more bosses start getting more loot and you'll see more haunting spirits.
Edited by Dûchene on 4/18/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
04/18/2013 08:06 AMPosted by Sharpen

Exactly, so in this tier they decided to entice people with all these new recipes that people can get, but then they give no proper means to actually make the items (Unless of course your completely loaded)

I had to buy them, and they were not even close to cheap. I do wish crafting had a bit more "usefuleness" on the PvE side. About all it is good for is entry level PvP. Maybe even have mats be a random proc from lightning steel or something. Or even make the mats a bit easier to get but make the gear bop so only the BS can use them. Would stop gear flooding if the mats were more freely available. Overall though, this is the first time i actually used my BS to craft something I could use. And the mats set me back a very hefty sum.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Most crafters can not get an hold of the 'special items' until way after..then it's too late, because it's out classed...I have patterns from WoLK that I'm just using to make things for alts or tramorgs..Blizzard really need to rethink patterns and materials drops for crafters so we are not several expanses behind..
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage

It's fine the way it is. I've come across 15 haunting spirits the last 2 weeks, all from DE'ing gear we didn't need from ToT. Everyone has to acquire them the same way. If you raid and have an enchanter and get some unlucky drops you're going to get spirits.

You're in a guild that can only kill 2 bosses a week so the chances of getting more haunting spirits is not there. The system is fine, the issue is your guild. Kill some more bosses start getting more loot and you'll see more haunting spirits.

so your answer is trash your guild and pray some progression guild will put you on a raid team so you can have a chance to maybe get some mats so you can make some gear that will be obsolete by the time you manage to make it. Crap with that! I finally got the mats to make come of the LW stuff from Cata, but who wants or needs that crap anymore and who actually runs firelands or DS anymore for mats? Popular answer to that is "Up yours!"
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Yah that's great, so essentially your saying that in order to get more spirits, we would have to kill the bosses that give loot equal to the items that we can craft, and by the time we get the spirits, we'll probably already have the drops we need from the bosses that we were trying to get from crafting? So what's the point in even having the crafting?
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
I agree with OP. At the beginning of an expack every crafter is at the same starting point but with the first raid patch only those who are lucky enough to be in progression guilds can make the best armor. The patterns this patch are RNG and everybody can learn them but the mats are reserved for the rich. And as some mentioned, normal drops 522 gear and by the time most can make a piece, they probably already have it. So why even add new patterns at all?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]